What's new

Pelicans @ Jazz - 7PM MTN

You get free booze on row 3?
naah we dont need booze
boozer_nwwfao.jpg

we got mitchell

I can't imagine sitting Gobert, Jingles, and Mitchell in a room and telling them that competing is going to be on the back burner for a while. You tank to get a Donovan Mitchell. Achievement unlocked. Move to next step.

Tanking did not net us Donovan Mitchell.

Nope he was acquired in the draft lottery though... and we had to use a draft asset and a former lottery pick to get there...

I wonder if there is any other possible way to acquire a lottery pick and maybe acquire another top tier talent?

Nope he was acquired in the draft lottery though... and we had to use a draft asset and a former lottery pick to get there...

I wonder if there is any other possible way to acquire a lottery pick and maybe acquire another top tier talent?

There is, it's called trading, just like we did last year and also when we got Rudy Gobert.

Barnes was massive for them in the years he was there. I'm not disregarding his impact. My whole point is that we have a ton more talent, and healthy talent, on this team than Golden State had when they tanked in 2011-12. They added more impact players after the tank (Barnes, Green and Iggy) than they had during the tank (hurt Curry and Thompson).

They had talent though and it was a short season so Curry playing 23 games or whatever was not as bad. They had a prime David Lee and traded a healthy Monta Ellis for an injured Bogut. They made a decision to tank and went all in. It would have been like us trading a healthy Favs for an injured dude when Rudy went down... without the win streak we'd be bottom 3-4 right now.

Anyway... long-term tanking doesn't ruin guys.

Count me in on the tankathon. I think it's way more important for this team to get the best chance at a better draft pick than to get playoff experience. This is ALL about getting better players to surround Don and Rudy. The present means nothing.

michael porter jr would be nice in the triangle of mitch, rudy. Would be sweeeeeeeeet.

ONE: BOS has overtaken GSW as my most hated team this year.
yamers: https://media2.giphy.com/media/zyYEI4i5WRWpO/giphy.gif?cid=8e2f2bd95a4d73a95434356863ee6040" alt="" style="width:179px" />
yamers: its rubio time

This post is using recent content from chat. Join the chat anytime! [url]https://jazzfanz.com/pages/chat[/url]

There is, it's called trading, just like we did last year and also when we got Rudy Gobert.

Cool but you have to have stuff to trade. If you can get it without trading you can keep more stuff. Let's say we had Trey Lyles and Donovan Mitchell... that better than just DM.

Very few teams are dumb enough to make the trade Denver did. Not many times that teams have used a disappointing prospect to move up from mid 20s to late lottery. We have nothing on our roster that would move us from say 15 this year to 7-8... outside of DM and Gobert.

We have to build through the draft... we can get some contributors in FA but our building blocks will come through the draft. Getting a 5-8 seed won't change our team trajectory like getting another mid/late lotto steal.

If it is just the difference between 15-16 pick and 12 then I'm cool with playoffs, but if we could have tanked earlier we could be lined up to acquire the third wheel to our core.

I think the tank mode attitude is wrong. Do you want Donovan for a long time? Or Rudy for that matter? We probably shouldn’t be an organization trying to lose. Exum is still an important price to this puzzle if he can come in and stay healthy. Exum was good in summer league this year and even better than Mitchell at times, and I love Mitchell. The Jazz definetly need to make moves but there’s plenty of busts on draft picks 1-10, and there’s plemty of gems lower in the draft every year. It’s all hit and miss. Hinging your future on draft picks just isn’t a great way to do things for many reasons IMO. I think the Jazz need to do their best to win this season. It’s Dennis Lyndsey’s job to make some moves to improve this team. You have Donovan and Rudy, and I still hold out hope for Exum. It’s hard to put a great team together, let alone tanking to create one from the draft.

It's not trying to lose, it's sacrificing the present for the future.

We tanked for 7 seasons and won just one first round series from it. I'm tired of watching them lose, find a way to win.

No they didn't tank they were mediocre to **** but didn't tank. The Celtics tanked when they sold their best players, the Sixes tanked, the Twolves tanked. The Jazz for the most part played the hand they were dealt.

So would you guys trade Favors for future considerations that you could parlay into a better draft position even though it might knock you out of the playoffs this year? That's the kind of tanking I'm talking about, not telling Donovan to lose games. Just doing whatever you have to do to secure the future, not the present.

No they didn't tank they were mediocre to **** but didn't tank. The Celtics tanked when they sold their best players, the Sixes tanked, the Twolves tanked. The Jazz for the most part played the hand they were dealt.

We didn't tank we re-tooled... re-tooled into a mediocrity treadmill. Then we picked a direction and it looked good, but we got kicked in the groin by Gordon and back to mediocrity re-tool treadmill...

Only this time we do have two players who have a bigger upside than the previous core... and we have/had an opportunity to do a sharp turn down, but we don't have the stomach for it. We will likely be a playoff team next year which is great, but I think unless we hit on a mid first round pick this year that we might end up one marquee player short.

When we traded D-Will we should have gone full tank ahead.

So would you guys trade Favors for future considerations that you could parlay into a better draft position even though it might knock you out of the playoffs this year? That's the kind of tanking I'm talking about, not telling Donovan to lose games. Just doing whatever you have to do to secure the future, not the present.

Favs, Hood, Thabo... all could be parlayed for draft assets or young guys... had we done it before the win streak we could have moved into the bottom 5. I don't know that we can tank hard enough now.

Going from 15 to 12 is meh... rather make the playoffs... going from 12-15 to 4-6 with a shot at the top pick can alter our future. We could still hit on the pick in the mid 1st round but it is so much tougher... and obviously we could miss on the top 6 pick too.

We tanked for 7 seasons and won just one first round series from it. I'm tired of watching them lose, find a way to win.

We tanked one year and then the following year we punted on FA when we should not have... left us in the middle. We have to get out of the middle and I think DM and Rudy can make us a top 10 team, but Rudy, DM, and a third stud can make us a contender.

You have to get lucky, but when the writing is on the wall it doesn't hurt to stack the deck.

So call it mediocre. They had picks #9, 3, 3, 10, 7, 5 and mixed in a bunch of veterans here and there to get one lousy playoff series win largely because of Joe Johnson. I'm tired of watching them lose so they can sell me on "Hope". I'm old and grumpy, I want to see wins--45 wins aint 60, but it is sure better than 27.