What's new

Pick or Trade: Zach Lowe on Jazz Future

We aren;t getting Lawson. He has publicly stated he would hate playing here. Also he is getting old for his skill set, a lightning quick small guard. Doesn't project to age well. George Hill at least plays good D, is big, can play off ball and is versatile. Seems like a guy who can be a solid starter for another 4 years and a good back-up for 2 years after that.

Both guys will likely be gone in 2 years. Both guys will likely get salaries higher than we will want to pay a backup in 2 years and Exum will have hopefully come on at that point. I like Hill better for all the reasons you stated.

Lawson's DUI and general lack of caring this season scares me more than him saying he wouldn't want to play here. Ankle injuries are also bad news. I'd pass on him as well.

I agree. I don't like Lawson all that much anyways. I'd rather keep our assets and roll with our current pg situation.

I like George Hill, but I don't think he betters us enough to give up assets plus give up on Exum. It doesn't really makes sense.

But hey, what do I know. OKC wanted Kanter and that didn't make sense either.

Don't think we are giving up on Exum in that scenario.

I dont like barnes because he creates, i like him because he has good size, athleticism, shoots well, is a good teammate. In a passing offense, creating becomes less important and unselfishness and shooting becomes the new premium!

Barnes' athleticism doesn't really show up in games though. I'm not a huge fan of his.

Pelicans are awful defensively, I don't think they would want to add Burke.

It's contingent on so many things. I would think we would have to look to move Tyreke as well. He's not great defensively either. It's not a move I would say is likely just commenting on what it might take if Jrue was the target.

The conversation gets even more interesting if we move up. Could we trade the #2 pick for a super-star?

The only teams that would do that are the teams cashing in on preparing to become a lottery team again. (Spurs, Mavs, Heat, ect...) Not saying those teams WILL be lottery teams soon, but their glue guys are all getting older and their time is coming to an end. No other team would be willing to split with a superstar that we would want either.

In my personal opinion, the ONLY player I would be trade the #2 pick would be Kawhi Leonard from the Spurs.

Jazz won't trade it, everyone is declaring, 8 year security, some good talent even at 11-12.

I agree... too much value. I think if we are at 11-12 we try like hell to move up. I think if Sac doesn't end up in the top 3 an offer of the 12, our unprotected 2016 pick, and us taking on Carl Landry's contract (via our unguaranteed contracts) could get it done. They would open up max space and I think they are in "skip steps to win now mode". They're recent high picks have not helped them so they might consider this type of offer. If they want Burke they can have him too.

Don't think we are giving up on Exum in that scenario.

If anything it's a move for Exum. He gets to continue to grow at his own pace. While getting to learn the game from a true pro. Hill isn't a guy likely to take coming off the bench as a slap in the face. Highly doubt Exum will be ready to play big mins next year much like he isn't this year.

If anything it's a move for Exum. He gets to continue to grow at his own pace. While getting to learn the game from a true pro. Hill isn't a guy likely to take coming off the bench as a slap in the face. Highly doubt Exum will be ready to play big mins next year much like he isn't this year.

Exactly... although I think Hill would be the starter.

Jazz won't trade it, everyone is declaring, 8 year security, some good talent even at 11-12.

Players like Hezonja and Porzingas are talking about sitting out a loaded draft plus waiting for the new revenue to raise the rookie scales. They could literally triple there rookie deals by waiting 1 year. Plus they're still getting paid in Europe and can sign multi year deals with opt out clauses.

If Hezonga waits he can climb from 8 this year to 3 or better next year. There is literally no reason for the Euros to declare. There's already rumors that Stanley Johnson and some others will stay to beat Kentucky next year. Its going to be an exciting few months with a lot of shockers.

Lowe is awesome. Wonder how much basketball this guy watches. All of his articles are things that the teams' fans who watch every one of their games talks about.

Yo, I'm leading teh Corey Joseph bandwagon. FYI. Thanks for joining.

Main ones
I'd throw an offer sheet at Cory Joseph. I think he can be a 15/4/5ish guy.

Psh, been on the Joseph-train for over a month /hipster

Players like Hezonja and Porzingas are talking about sitting out a loaded draft plus waiting for the new revenue to raise the rookie scales. They could literally triple there rookie deals by waiting 1 year. Plus they're still getting paid in Europe and can sign multi year deals with opt out clauses.

If Hezonga waits he can climb from 8 this year to 3 or better next year. There is literally no reason for the Euros to declare. There's already rumors that Stanley Johnson and some others will stay to beat Kentucky next year. Its going to be an exciting few months with a lot of shockers.

Actually you are completely wrong which is shocking. The rookie scale is set by the CBA and is not tied to the salary cap, so the Euros would have every incentive to come out now so that they can finish their 4 year deal earlier and start to get a cut of that rising cap, but way to get your facts crossed and make **** up... that's a twofer.

We aren;t getting Lawson. He has publicly stated he would hate playing here. Also he is getting old for his skill set, a lightning quick small guard. Doesn't project to age well. George Hill at least plays good D, is big, can play off ball and is versatile. Seems like a guy who can be a solid starter for another 4 years and a good back-up for 2 years after that.

You may be correct that we won't get him, but he's easily the most realistic option as far as availability. As for him saying he'd hate playing in Utah, I'd have to see the exact quote, but he wouldn't be the first player we brought in that was less than enthusiastic about playing here, and context matters in that things sometimes change when a team turns a corner. Players often backpedal on things like that when it comes down to changing from a losing situation to a winning one. Favors wasn't happy about coming here at first. Lots of people thought we wouldn't draft Exum because he refused to work out for us. If Utah only went after players that were excited about playing here, it would be slim pickin's for sure. Winning situation changes the landscape a bit.
-
As for him aging well, his contract is for 2 years and we don't really need him for longer than that. I wouldn't overpay to bring him in, but I also wouldn't rule him out for the reasons you stated. Again, Utah has to look at who's realistically available.

Last edited:
Actually you are completely wrong which is shocking. The rookie scale is set by the CBA and is not tied to the salary cap, so the Euros would have every incentive to come out now so that they can finish their 4 year deal earlier and start to get a cut of that rising cap, but way to get your facts crossed and make **** up... that's a twofer.

How am I completely wrong? I'm telling you what the Euros are saying. I think they know more about there decisions than you do. There agents think this draft is loaded and they can move up next year plus get a Euro contract now. There is no benefit to declare this year except Mudiay which is why I left him out.

You may be correct that we won't get him, but he's easily the most realistic option as far as availability. As for him saying he'd hate playing in Utah, I'd have to see the exact quote, but he wouldn't be the first player we brought in that was less than enthusiastic about playing here, and context matters in that things sometimes change when a team turns a corner. Players often backpedal on things like that when it comes down to changing from a losing situation to a winning one. Favors wasn't happy about coming here at first. Lots of people thought we wouldn't draft Exum because he refused to work out for us. If Utah only went after players that were excited about playing here, it would be slim pickin's for sure. Winning situation changes the landscape a bit.
-
As for him aging well, his contract is for 2 years and we don't really need him for longer than that. I wouldn't overpay to bring him in, but I also wouldn't rule him out for the reasons you stated. Again, Utah has to look at who's realistically available.

I don't have the exact quote, but he was asked a question along the lines of "what is the last team you would want to play for?" His response was something along the lines of "Utah, sorry Jazz fans but there is nothing to do in Utah".

Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

How am I completely wrong? I'm telling you what the Euros are saying. I think they know more about there decisions than you do. There agents think this draft is loaded and they can move up next year plus get a Euro contract now. There is no benefit to declare this year except Mudiay which is why I left him out.

You cited the rookie scale as moving up with the cap... it doesn't it is already set in stone. If these guys have agents that can add the won't worry about signing a euro contract for a year at the same or less than they can make in the NBA this year. Moving up from 10 to 5 means about a 1M in annual salary which is nothing when you know that in 4 years the salary cap will be over $100M. Any player who thinks they are a first round pick should declare this year to get the one year started.

The fact that you built your hearsay on completely false facts leads me to believe that you are full of **** like normal.

I don't have the exact quote, but he was asked a question along the lines of "what is the last team you would want to play for?" His response was something along the lines of "Utah, sorry Jazz fans but there is nothing to do in Utah".

it was on a reddit chat... doubt it would deter us. Know the ankle and dui/checked out issues might. Just think he might be a guy that messes up our mojo.

How am I completely wrong? .

He clearly explained this in his reply. Rookie scale won't change until we get a new CBA. Cap jump won't change it, and I double checked before this reply. As for your claims about the Euros opting to wait, I haven't seen any info to support your claims, but I'm willing to keep an open mind. If you have any links supporting said claims, it would be very helpful, otherwise I'm skeptical.

If that was the quote, I'm not bothered by it at all. They have done a poll of NBA players before, and as much as Jazz fans don't want to accept it, Utah is near the bottom of the list of preferences for most NBA players. Obviously, that doesn't take into account winning situation and team fit. In other words, Utah isn't a sexy place to play when all things are equal, but when you factor in winning situation and how the player fits into the situation, a lot of players forget about their biases when they realize Utah can provide a great opportunity. Certainly Utah would have to assess his current attitude towards playing for Utah, but I'm guessing he'd backtrack on those comments in order to change losing/winning situations.