What's new

Pick or Trade: Zach Lowe on Jazz Future

Why? You think someone will be available at 11 who is way better than anyone at 15 AND 26? I understand you are the draft expert around here so ill defer for now.

Personally I think George Lucas could be the best player out of this draft and he'll go in the mid-20s.

Depends who falls at #11. Also 11 isn't set in stone, a lot can happen between now and the end of the season. Mathematically we could end up being at #9. That is much better than #15 and #26 that's for sure.

Also #9 gives you a much better chance of moving into the 4-5 range if need be. I'd much rather do that than trade for any of the names thrown around so far. (with the exception of Kyle Lowry)

Hood is just so criminally underrated. We'd be lucky to get him at 11 in this year's draft. . .

I thought it was interesting when Locke said the Jazz had him rated after Wiggins, Exum, Gordon, and Parker in the last draft.

Holiday is the dream player of them because of age, skill, and fit. The injuries are terrible though. Going to play under 40 games for the 2nd straight season with leg injuries in both seasons.

It depends on our GM situation. Demps is on his last year. If he is able to somehow get an extension and ownership back off the pressure to win now a little bit it is plausible. It's widely rumored had Demps not pulled the trigger on a deal for Holiday he was going to draft Trey Burke. Maybe there's still some interest there.

We would have to include the lotto pick.

Not necessarily bad if they did. Again a lot moving pieces would be in play. As mentioned the biggest one would be how Bird feels about Burke's long term projection. If West and Hibbert leave it they are looking at almost a complete rebuild other than Paul George. I think a future 1st may be enough.

What Hill can bring to this young team(and more specifically Exum) in terms of leader would be almost invaluable over the next two years.

Depends who falls at #11. Also 11 isn't set in stone, a lot can happen between now and the end of the season. Mathematically we could end up being at #9. That is much better than #15 and #26 that's for sure.

Also #9 gives you a much better chance of moving into the 4-5 range if need be. I'd much rather do that than trade for any of the names thrown around so far. (with the exception of Kyle Lowry)

Nooooo you dont draft like that! Thats like when we traded Giannis and Dieng away for Trey Burke. More first round picks is always better than less.

Anyway, I was hoping our resident draft expert could give more of an answer instead of hedging a non-answer. :)

Make a run at Corey Joseph and see if you can work a S&T with Milwaukee with #11 and Burke and/or Hood for Middleton. Sign Tomic.

I would ****.

Nooooo you dont draft like that! Thats like when we traded Giannis and Dieng away for Trey Burke. More first round picks is always better than less.

Anyway, I was hoping our resident draft expert could give more of an answer instead of hedging a non-answer. :)

LOL ... take this from an expert - the draft is a crapshoot. The end.

We keep the pick, because they're winning the #2 pick in the lotto, and drafting Russell.

We keep the pick, because they're winning the #2 pick in the lotto, and drafting Russell.
Good to see ya

It depends on our GM situation. Demps is on his last year. If he is able to somehow get an extension and ownership back off the pressure to win now a little bit it is plausible. It's widely rumored had Demps not pulled the trigger on a deal for Holiday he was going to draft Trey Burke. Maybe there's still some interest there.

Pelicans are awful defensively, I don't think they would want to add Burke.

Hood is just so criminally underrated. We'd be lucky to get him at 11 in this year's draft. . .
I agree. I want no part of Hood leaving unless it's part of a package for an all star caliber player.

There are 8 games left to play. I think we should take one or two more seriously and write the rest of them off. We're close to picking up another solid player in this draft, if we can get to #10 or #9. Stanley Johnson could be in reach, along with Oubre, Turner, maybe even one of the Euros. In any case, it will be a better pick or trade asset.

I feel like a guy like Tobias Harris might be becoming underrated as a FA target. I don't think his deal is going to be that big, and he'd be a nice combo forward in a back-up role. A forward who can shoot is a big deal for any team, especially this one.

Regarding the guardline, I would be patient with Exum and Hood. I'd see if we can get Lilsap shooting the ball better. I wouldn't be rash, as we can decide not to decide for now. I feel like we're playing with house money the way Rudy and Hayward turned out this year. Lets get a few more picks in and see if within 2 - 3 years we can muster one more near All Star.

I repped him just to take away your neg

You repped someone for suggesting trading for 25 million dollar ball hog, ego-maniac, POS washed-up Kobe? Yeah, that seems about right. YAY Jabari!
-
P.S. The funny thing is I almost never neg when I post negged. I didn't even neg him, so he got pos repped for suggesting a trade for Kobe. Hacl doin' work.

Last edited:
The way the Jazz want to move the ball on offense, and the way they want to dynamically switch on defense makes me think Ty Lawson isn't really the right fit for the Jazz at PG. He's a better version of Trey Burke, but I don't really think Trey is the right type of PG for this team either. I think Trey will be moved if/when his value hits a sell-point.

I think we should believe in Exum's ability to distribute the ball and defend as a PG and we should try to bring in a dynamic SG with some ability to facilitate (e.g., Joe Ingles), but with better shooting range. Meanwhile, we should keep enough defensive length to maintain the switching meme we've already got going. I really like Winslow and Hezonja in this draft for the Jazz, especially Hezonja.

We aren;t getting Lawson. He has publicly stated he would hate playing here. Also he is getting old for his skill set, a lightning quick small guard. Doesn't project to age well. George Hill at least plays good D, is big, can play off ball and is versatile. Seems like a guy who can be a solid starter for another 4 years and a good back-up for 2 years after that.

You repped someone for suggesting trading for 25 million dollar ball hog, ego-maniac, POS washed-up Kobe? Yeah, that seems about right. YAY Jabari!
-
P.S. The funny thing is I almost never neg when I post negged. I didn't even neg him, so he got pos repped for suggesting a trade for Kobe. Hacl doin' work.

I didn't even care what he wrote. I don't take the rep seriously. But I know you do. That's why you made that big cry baby thread in general about rep. You are such a nerd dude. Lighten up. Take a chill pill. Literally. Take something for your aspergers. It's getting out of hand.

Yay Jabari. I agree.

We aren;t getting Lawson. He has publicly stated he would hate playing here. Also he is getting old for his skill set, a lightning quick small guard. Doesn't project to age well. George Hill at least plays good D, is big, can play off ball and is versatile. Seems like a guy who can be a solid starter for another 4 years and a good back-up for 2 years after that.

I agree. I don't like Lawson all that much anyways. I'd rather keep our assets and roll with our current pg situation.

I like George Hill, but I don't think he betters us enough to give up assets plus give up on Exum. It doesn't really makes sense.

But hey, what do I know. OKC wanted Kanter and that didn't make sense either.