What's new

Playoff Don

Let's hope Donovan plays terrific from first game
He needs to send message to all teams that they should be scared of him and Jazz

Let's hope he has a great series so it'll pump up his trade value to the Knicks. Maybe we can get 6 picks.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Damn, the first page was pretty positive then it went south. I was hoping for an optimistic week before reality sinks in (one way or the other, either good or bad.) Let's keep the positive vibes for a while. It makes this place a lot nicer to visit. Hope springs eternal or some **** like that!

Damn, the first page was pretty positive then it went south. I was hoping for an optimistic week before reality sinks in (one way or the other, either good or bad.) Let's keep the positive vibes for a while. It makes this place a lot nicer to visit. Hope springs eternal or some **** like that!
Hard to have positive vibes with how bad Mitchell has been with games on the line this season.

Makes his past playoff success seem more fluky given the standout performances we are talking about all happened in less than one calendar year.

This Jazz team doesnt really deserve fan trust at this point. They have to earn it by at least getting out of the 1st round in convincing fashion.

I think teams have figured Mitchell out a little bit. They know he isn't going to trust his teammates. They know how to load up a bit more on him in crunch minutes knowing he doesnt want anyone else to have shots.

Donovan could score 500 points a game, but I'd still expect this team to blow it. This isn't an ordinary team. They accomplish things that no other team has. After their record breaking collapses in the last two playoffs, I have full faith that they will outdo themselves in year 3. Why else would you bring back the same team 3 years in a row?

I do hope we get the best version of him like we did last two postseasons. But I worry cause he's been in a slump recently, made bad decisions and the critisizm that he rightly received could have got into his head. Let's hope he can figure things out.

I do hope we get the best version of him like we did last two postseasons. But I worry cause he's been in a slump recently, made bad decisions and the critisizm that he rightly received could have got into his head. Let's hope he can figure things out.
I'm afraid that the criticism will cause him to double-down on his bad decision-making. He seems to be taking an "oh yeah? I'll show them" attitude that could lead to him just putting his head down and pushing harder to get his own shot at the end of games rather than actually making the best basketball decision.

I said it in another thread, but he seems to have been drinking his own Kool aid and letting his blind belief in his own perceived invulnerability seriously cloud his judgement.

We don't need nuclear Mitchell, we need basketball-professor Mitchell. The one who out-thinks everyone and makes the best play, not just the one who explodes for 100 points and shoots us out of games at the end.

I'm afraid that the criticism will cause him to double-down on his bad decision-making. He seems to be taking an "oh yeah? I'll show them" attitude that could lead to him just putting his head down and pushing harder to get his own shot at the end of games rather than actually making the best basketball decision.

I said it in another thread, but he seems to have been drinking his own Kool aid and letting his blind belief in his own perceived invulnerability seriously cloud his judgement.

We don't need nuclear Mitchell, we need basketball-professor Mitchell. The one who out-thinks everyone and makes the best play, not just the one who explodes for 100 points and shoots us out of games at the end.
The last two playoffs have required him to go nuclear because we lacked offense from other sources. People talk about this type stuff all the time - elite players have ridiculously high confidence in their abilities.

I find it extremely insulting that people around here completely disregard 3 out of 4 fantastic playoffs by Donovan, and choose instead to bash him for two months of bad 4th quarters. He has clearly been our best player in the postseason for 3 of the 4 postseasons since we drafted him. Without him, we would have been even more of a league punchline.

Have faith people. Our team needs more positive energy. We can make a serious run this year.

The last two playoffs have required him to go nuclear because we lacked offense from other sources. People talk about this type stuff all the time - elite players have ridiculously high confidence in their abilities.

I find it extremely insulting that people around here completely disregard 3 out of 4 fantastic playoffs by Donovan, and choose instead to bash him for two months of bad 4th quarters. He has clearly been our best player in the postseason for 3 of the 4 postseasons since we drafted him. Without him, we would have been even more of a league punchline.

Have faith people. Our team needs more positive energy. We can make a serious run this year.
They required him to go nuclear because our inability to stop anyone caused us to have to try to outscore everyone instead. In the Denver series we gave up 2 50-point games to Murray, not exactly known for his high-scoring. We made him look like the next coming of Jordan. And Mitchell's masterpiece game was in a losing effort because we could not get stops, period. If we actually had some defensive presence he wouldn't have needed those huge games just to be competitive. In fact the best games we had, we also had our best defensive ratings, not necessarily our best offensive ratings, as a team. Lack of firepower isn't really the issue, lack of defense is.

I am not downplaying Mitchell's fantastic efforts in the post-season. His scoring has been nothing short of legendary. But because we cannot stop anyone they are all for naught. He was the first player since Iverson to score 50 points in 2 games in the same playoff series, until we let Murray do the same thing.

I have no doubt that Mitchell will again step up his game and average over 30 points per game this year in the playoffs. But this year he has had a different approach at the end of games than he did the previous years, and not just for a few games but for dozens, and it has been very consistent. So consistent in fact that other teams can basically rely on the melt-down. And his attitude about it has changed, at least from what we can see in what he says to the media. And that change is to play exclusively bully-ball and be determined to be the one to force up bad shots regardless of the situation. His clutch performances this year have been historically bad. That is a concern, and if you can't see that you are just willfully being blind to it. If that tendency carries over it will not bode well for us in the playoffs, unless Mitchell can score enough points that we can simply blow everyone out every game.

I am not saying that Mitchell is the sole reason we melt down. As a team we fall apart defensively and that is arguably the biggest problem. But when the defense falls apart, the offense MUST click, and having Mitchell, who has by far the highest usage in the 4th quarter on the entire team, become a flat-out ball stopper, well that is a recipe for disaster.

For the record, I blame Quin for not getting his team, and his star player, to play a better brand of ball at the end of games. It almost feels like he draws it all up this way. That's a bigger problem, imo.

I am hoping we won't see this in the playoffs. I am hoping we have nothing but success and make a deep run that shows we can win it all.

But I am not doing so with blinders on. The problems are real. They need to be addressed, or our playoff run will be cut very very short.

Two of three well timed passes from Don in the fourth would make his life so much easier. If teams had to respect the pass he wouldn't get double, triple or even quadruple teamed every possession down the floor. LogGrad is on the money with his assessment. Quin should have a counter for this by now and be requiring players to execute it.

They required him to go nuclear because our inability to stop anyone caused us to have to try to outscore everyone instead. In the Denver series we gave up 2 50-point games to Murray, not exactly known for his high-scoring. We made him look like the next coming of Jordan. And Mitchell's masterpiece game was in a losing effort because we could not get stops, period. If we actually had some defensive presence he wouldn't have needed those huge games just to be competitive. In fact the best games we had, we also had our best defensive ratings, not necessarily our best offensive ratings, as a team. Lack of firepower isn't really the issue, lack of defense is.

I am not downplaying Mitchell's fantastic efforts in the post-season. His scoring has been nothing short of legendary. But because we cannot stop anyone they are all for naught. He was the first player since Iverson to score 50 points in 2 games in the same playoff series, until we let Murray do the same thing.

I have no doubt that Mitchell will again step up his game and average over 30 points per game this year in the playoffs. But this year he has had a different approach at the end of games than he did the previous years, and not just for a few games but for dozens, and it has been very consistent. So consistent in fact that other teams can basically rely on the melt-down. And his attitude about it has changed, at least from what we can see in what he says to the media. And that change is to play exclusively bully-ball and be determined to be the one to force up bad shots regardless of the situation. His clutch performances this year have been historically bad. That is a concern, and if you can't see that you are just willfully being blind to it. If that tendency carries over it will not bode well for us in the playoffs, unless Mitchell can score enough points that we can simply blow everyone out every game.

I am not saying that Mitchell is the sole reason we melt down. As a team we fall apart defensively and that is arguably the biggest problem. But when the defense falls apart, the offense MUST click, and having Mitchell, who has by far the highest usage in the 4th quarter on the entire team, become a flat-out ball stopper, well that is a recipe for disaster.

For the record, I blame Quin for not getting his team, and his star player, to play a better brand of ball at the end of games. It almost feels like he draws it all up this way. That's a bigger problem, imo.

I am hoping we won't see this in the playoffs. I am hoping we have nothing but success and make a deep run that shows we can win it all.

But I am not doing so with blinders on. The problems are real. They need to be addressed, or our playoff run will be cut very very short.
Good post. As we are right now, defense is our biggest issue. We have failed Rudy and Don by not surrounding them with more perimeter defenders.

The last two postseasons, I feel our offense did get bogged down and that Don did what he had to do. We have been without Bojan or Mike pretty much that whole time. Also add in that Royce and Ingles did some disappearing the last two postseasons.

I'm banking on a healthy Mike and Bojan with more adjustments by Don and better coaching by Quin gives us more energy to address what we can on defense.

Yes professor Mitchell. Kind of like professor Hulk. He is an Uber smart player with deadly tools underneath. That is what is needed.

Donovan could score 500 points a game, but I'd still expect this team to blow it. This isn't an ordinary team. They accomplish things that no other team has. After their record breaking collapses in the last two playoffs, I have full faith that they will outdo themselves in year 3. Why else would you bring back the same team 3 years in a row?

This team has a different roster than last year

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Two of three well timed passes from Don in the fourth would make his life so much easier. If teams had to respect the pass he wouldn't get double, triple or even quadruple teamed every possession down the floor. LogGrad is on the money with his assessment. Quin should have a counter for this by now and be requiring players to execute it.
Last year we kept talking about how Quin wouldn't tip his hand in the regular season when we rationalized losses against teams like LAC. During the first couple losses in the playoffs we again were waiting for Quin's magic adjustment that never came. If Quin were the genius we hear about, it'd be great if he led the whole league to believe that Don would hero ball things, only to kick out to Mike and Bojan to destroy teams in the playoffs. It's a nice little daydream but more of a fantasy than reality.

Last year we kept talking about how Quin wouldn't tip his hand in the regular season when we rationalized losses against teams like LAC. During the first couple losses in the playoffs we again were waiting for Quin's magic adjustment that never came. If Quin were the genius we hear about, it'd be great if he led the whole league to believe that Don would hero ball things, only to kick out to Mike and Bojan to destroy teams in the playoffs. It's a nice little daydream but more of a fantasy than reality.
His comments about regular season not mattering are comical. He isn't like Nick Nurse experimenting with all sorts of weird ****... or even like Bud... he's the guy playing Forrest over Butler because we are trying to win a championship.

Doc Rivers just had a rant about how this is not the Paul Reed Victory Tour... after being prodded by assistants and the media to play the guy more Reed exploded for like 25 points in extended run. Rather than slapping the back of the young player he took a steamer on his chest. It was like he put him out there hoping he'd fail so that he could tell em all "I told you we should stick with DeAndre Jordan". He also talked about how they watch all the games and all the practices and have way more info.

It reminded me of when folks were excited about JB and Quin threw so much cold water at it... and it was clear a message had been received by the media about all of JB's flaws. Then he put him in a weird offball role for like a 2 minute stint where he struggled... so he ate bench the rest of the year... basically. Quin is closer to the Doc spectrum imo.... we do what we do... adjustments are overrated... we know better than you can possibly know.

People have piled on Donovan but go watch the sets we run... they throw him the ball and half the time no one moves or does anything... either way that is on the coach. Either Donovan is like "clear out I'm going to work" and Quin lets him... or he's calling this ****... or they aren't executing what he is calling.

Kidd isn't a great head coach on his own but he's got a great staff helping him... I'm prepared for Quin to get worked a bit.

This, this. Don has a longer track record of excellent play and good decision making. He's struggled mightily in the clutch this season, especially in the final few months. But it would be so premature to decide that's who he really is. (I tend to be doom and gloom as a way of protecting my feelings. Lower expectations= lower disappointment)

Also fair. It comes down to coaching imo.