What's new

Point Guard Contingency Plan - Summer of 2017

Dante is starting to attack regularly and with authority.I thought having him shoot so many 3pters has held him back.He obviously feels better taking it to the rack then taking the open jump shots.Letting him go get his own shots has shown how good he can be. This might piss some guys off but having Dante and Burks backing him up might not be so bad next year if Jazz lose GHill.

Was just gonna ask;

Is Exum-Burks-Neto completely off the table?

LOL .. why??? He dated your sister?

Kings' Darren Collison suspended after guilty plea for domestic battery

usatoday.com/story/91440720/&ved=0ahUKEwi7xd-u3bjSAhUJxlQKHRAICCUQFgjxATAe&usg=AFQjCNHsmP7a3gMB2PGnC55giRdsMTcw6w

If Hill really manages to command such a hefty salary, I think another option is viable, where you add a PG lockdown defender, who can shoot spot ups and you let Hayward earn his max contracts by running the whole offense together with Hood and have Exum for backup.
The prime candidate for that role would be Avery Bradley. He's got 1 more year left in Boston and I think you could get him pretty cheap. Smart is there, Thomas has an incoming payday and they could very well need 10-15 mpg to develop Fultz/Ball.
Favors for Bradley, who could be retained for 14-16 per year most likely and add another quality bubble stretch 4 in free agency/via trade to give Lyles more room to grow and have a quality backup solution in case he stumbles.
Patrick Patterson and Danilo come to mind. Mirotic comes off his contract, you could take a flyer on him for not that much probably.

Just to throw an alternative solution out there. Also don't forget Alec Burks. He's looking really interesting. Maybe he can cover PG/SG together with Exum and Hood in a 3 man rotation?!

Kings' Darren Collison suspended after guilty plea for domestic battery

usatoday.com/story/91440720/&ved=0ahUKEwi7xd-u3bjSAhUJxlQKHRAICCUQFgjxATAe&usg=AFQjCNHsmP7a3gMB2PGnC55giRdsMTcw6w

Ok so he was jailed for 20 days. I don't think that's a good enough reason to completely write him off as a basketball player.

If Hill really manages to command such a hefty salary, I think another option is viable, where you add a PG lockdown defender, who can shoot spot ups and you let Hayward earn his max contracts by running the whole offense together with Hood and have Exum for backup.
The prime candidate for that role would be Avery Bradley. He's got 1 more year left in Boston and I think you could get him pretty cheap. Smart is there, Thomas has an incoming payday and they could very well need 10-15 mpg to develop Fultz/Ball.
Favors for Bradley, who could be retained for 14-16 per year most likely and add another quality bubble stretch 4 in free agency/via trade to give Lyles more room to grow and have a quality backup solution in case he stumbles.
Patrick Patterson and Danilo come to mind. Mirotic comes off his contract, you could take a flyer on him for not that much probably.

Just to throw an alternative solution out there. Also don't forget Alec Burks. He's looking really interesting. Maybe he can cover PG/SG together with Exum and Hood in a 3 man rotation?!

Good replacement idea/fit but I'm sure Boston won't let Bradley go for cheap.

Ok so he was jailed for 20 days. I don't think that's a good enough reason to completely write him off as a basketball player.

He's probably going to finish the season on a nice run with an expanded role inthe boogie-less offense. i'd worry with him same thing as Hill (Teague,Mills, all these PG's except Jrue really) that is seeking one last big contract for long-term security..

He's also diminutive so like Mills you might want to look to replace the Neto spot inthedept chart with a bigger more athletic PG like a Donovan Mitchell, Andrew Jones, Shake Milton etc.

He's probably going to finish the season on a nice run with an expanded role inthe boogie-less offense. i'd worry with him same thing as Hill (Teague,Mills, all these PG's except Jrue really) that is seeking one last big contract for long-term security..

Yeah except no other team are that desperate to throw good money his way. Teams without a starting PG are either going for the big names or waiting to draft one.

We're one of the rare team that needs to start winning consistently but could strike out on the big name FAs.

I think $12-15m a year would be a reasonable get for him, and I'm confident we can get him for that.

Jazz don't draft/trade/sign low character guys.

I think he is high character. That is a one-off incident and a relatively minor one at that. He's also very apologetic.

"Words cannot describe the feelings and regret that I have been experiencing the last few months," Collison said in a statement released by the Kings. "This is far from who I am as a person and not something I am proud of.... I have apologized to my beautiful wife that I have known and loved since high school."

The thing about passing up on Hill if his asking price is a bit too high: There is no upcoming contract on our roster I'm excited about being our 3rd highest player.

Yeah except no other team are that desperate to throw good money his way. Teams without a starting PG are either going for the big names or waiting to draft one.

We're one of the rare team that needs to start winning consistently but could strike out on the big name FAs.

I think $12-15m a year would be a reasonable get for him, and I'm confident we can get him for that.

Thats an outrageous overpay.. If the Nets signed him he probably wouldn't even start over a healthy Jeremy Lin.

Patty Mills much better value than that..

George Hill is a respectable starting point guard, but holy hell he's greedy. Can't blame him, but any team that signs him to the max is going to be in cap hell for the duration of his contract. Sign me up for D-Will for $10 Million per year over Hill for $30 million, he really isn't THAT much worse than Hill at this point.

The thing about passing up on Hill if his asking price is a bit too high: There is no upcoming contract on our roster I'm excited about being our 3rd highest player.

nick-young-confused-face.jpg

Good replacement idea/fit but I'm sure Boston won't let Bradley go for cheap.

Bradley for Favors makes sense for both teams IMO. An extra rim protector in a flexible small-ish switch heavy defense could help diminish the sieve that is Thomas and he can play with Horford together, as both are willing passers or even better. Favors has decent range up to the FT line and Horford is already comfortable out to the 3pt line, from where he's started to shoot 2 yrs ago and is at a steady 34% on 4 attempts.

If Hill leaves, and the Jazz can't get another top free agent, then they always have the trade market.

The player I like to imagine on this team is CJ McCollum. I think a team of CJ, Gordon, and Rudy would have complementing strengths. he is locked up long term, and his age aligns well with Hayward and Gobert.

I think the Blazers are willing to move on from the experiment of him and Lillard, but will want a lot for him. The question is if the Jazz have the assets to make a trade. Assume that Gobert is untouchable, do the Jazz have anything to offer that would be of interest?

Of course, there is also Bledsoe or Dragic but neither of them really makes me excited for this team.

Bradley for Favors makes sense for both teams IMO. An extra rim protector in a flexible small-ish switch heavy defense could help diminish the sieve that is Thomas and he can play with Horford together, as both are willing passers or even better. Favors has decent range up to the FT line and Horford is already comfortable out to the 3pt line, from where he's started to shoot 2 yrs ago and is at a steady 34% on 4 attempts.

Except for Bradley could also put himself in a position to Carmelo the Jazz next summer like Hill's done here.

I wouldn't make a practice of trading for underpaid players with 1 unrestricted year left on their deal...

If Hill leaves, and the Jazz can't get another top free agent, then they always have the trade market.

The player I like to imagine on this team is CJ McCollum. I think a team of CJ, Gordon, and Rudy would have complementing strengths. he is locked up long term, and his age aligns well with Hayward and Gobert.

I think the Blazers are willing to move on from the experiment of him and Lillard, but will want a lot for him. The question is if the Jazz have the assets to make a trade. Assume that Gobert is untouchable, do the Jazz have anything to offer that would be of interest?

Of course, there is also Bledsoe or Dragic but neither of them really makes me excited for this team.

Bledsoe would be perfect in my opinion. But rumors at the deadline were that Portland would be willing to trade Lillard before they'd trade CJ. Lillard would be a better fit anyway, but there's no chance in hell we can afford him.

George Hill is a respectable starting point guard, but holy hell he's greedy. Can't blame him, but any team that signs him to the max is going to be in cap hell for the duration of his contract. Sign me up for D-Will for $10 Million per year over Hill for $30 million, he really isn't THAT much worse than Hill at this point.

The problem is D-Will missed quite a few games this year due to injury and it's only gonna get worse as he gets older. If we're serious about being in the 3rd - 5th range in the West we can't afford for our PG to miss a good chunk of games.

Thats an outrageous overpay.. If the Nets signed him he probably wouldn't even start over a healthy Jeremy Lin.

Patty Mills much better value than that..

I know you like Mills but he is simply not starting calibre PG ... Collison is. Also defensively Mills isn't all that great.

Dragic would be awesome on the Jazz.. Asking price will be very high tho, it's unwise to do deals with the don Pat Riley.