What's new

Point Guard Contingency Plan - Summer of 2017

The thing about passing up on Hill if his asking price is a bit too high: There is no upcoming contract on our roster I'm excited about being our 3rd highest player.

It's quite possible he'll be our SECOND highest paid player, which makes me cringe.

If Hill leaves, and the Jazz can't get another top free agent, then they always have the trade market.

The player I like to imagine on this team is CJ McCollum. I think a team of CJ, Gordon, and Rudy would have complementing strengths. he is locked up long term, and his age aligns well with Hayward and Gobert.

I think the Blazers are willing to move on from the experiment of him and Lillard, but will want a lot for him. The question is if the Jazz have the assets to make a trade. Assume that Gobert is untouchable, do the Jazz have anything to offer that would be of interest?

Of course, there is also Bledsoe or Dragic but neither of them really makes me excited for this team.

The Blazers have already made it known (somewhat) that they'd rather keep McCollum in the rumoured Lillard trade before the deadline.

McCollum started at point guard for about 4-5 games while Lillard was out injured this year and he was a MONSTER.

It's quite possible he'll be our SECOND highest paid player, which makes me cringe.

Well I guess a better way to word it, I dont see anyone else I'd rather be our highest paid player outside of Gobert/Hayawrd than Hill. If we had some stud coming up from the rookie rankings who I was 100% trusted in "Yeah, that dude can be our 3rd best player", then I'd feel better about not signing Hill.

I know you like Mills but he is simply not starting calibre PG ... Collison is. Also defensively Mills isn't all that great.

If they get Mills you also get a defensive PG in the draft such as De'Anthony Melton(sort of puts up AK-47 type statlines as a combo guard..) or Shake Milton (who's built like Exum)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8cbSDkMNUo

Except for Bradley could also put himself in a position to Carmelo the Jazz next summer like Hill's done here.

I wouldn't make a practice of trading for underpaid players with 1 unrestricted year left on their deal...

That's a good point, but by trading away Favors, he can't Carmelo us neither. Bradley is a better fit for the Jazz core when you assume that Hayward becomes a 30%+ usage facilitator worthy of his max. By adding a fringe starter PF with range, you make the roster fit cleaner by improving the spacing. I think this could work better long term.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9IEyDyjh_Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmJEZOHNhNY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olICz2f_-GU

[MENTION=2408]PG_AB[/MENTION]

Do you think a rookie is going to be sufficient next to Exum next year for us to compete for the 3rd-5th spot in the West? I don't. If you have a look at MEM, they got what looked like a very good rookie prospect in Wade Baldwin, but he's no where to be seen. He didn't make an impact at all this year for that team. I don't even think he's played recently.

We can pick a rookie PG in the draft, sure, but I still think we need to sign another more experienced PG who will carry the team in the meantime.

Hayward ain't going to be waiting around for another rookie to develop to compete. The window is closing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ic_ozjMuR0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJEjb5DCQFY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqFjl2QXw7c

@<a href="https://jazzfanz.com/member.php?u=2408" target="_blank">PG_AB</a>

Do you think a rookie is going to be sufficient next to Exum next year for us to compete for the 3rd-5th spot in the West? I don't. If you have a look at MEM, they got what looked like a very good rookie prospect in Wade Baldwin, but he's no where to be seen. He didn't make an impact at all this year for that team. I don't even think he's played recently.

We can pick a rookie PG in the draft, sure, but I still think we need to sign another more experienced PG who will carry the team in the meantime.

Hayward ain't going to be waiting around for another rookie to develop to compete. The window is closing.
I would've started Exum this season.. so.. I guess if that rookie is Lonzo Ball than there's no doubt the answer is yes.. 3-5 seed is very tough tho This team now with Hill isn't the 3rd seed or competing for it tbh so that doesn't seem like a reasonable standard..

The team can make the playoffs and have a punchers chance.. .500 ball, especially if they get the right rookie..

Andrew Jones is my pick if you're looking for a Hill skillset replacement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KiGVww_AHM

Chad Ford has him right in the range of both Jazz picks in his latest mock IIRC, with a note saying some NBA scouts swear by him or something like that..

Last edited:
Jazz have absolutely screwed themselves over with their cheapness. Remember when I said that the main factor in Utah wanting Hill over Teague was because Hill was cheaper? lol. Guess that blew up in their faces. Not only does it sound like Hill will get 30 million a year when you could have had Teague for 20-ish per, but Teague has played the whole season, while Hill has missed significant time. You'd probably be around 40 wins right now with Teague. lol.

Utah could have brought Teague over, extended him with Gobert and had him for 20 million per year. Now, it looks like it'd be crazy to re-sign Hill at 30+, but if Hill walks, I'd go to Boston if I was Hayward...

Ha ha. But, at least we got those playoff runs with Al Jefferson and Corbin, right?

If I was Utah, I'd be busting my butt off to get a PG before the draft. I'd throw everything thing at PDX. Give PDX Favors, Hood, Exum, and a bunch of picks. If that doesn't work, I'd put everyone and anyone not named Gobert or Hayward on the market to get a third STAR, not "nice" player, but a STAR so Hayward doesn't walk.

Good old Utah. lol.

Jalen Brunson is like a wise old sophomore and just has nerves of steel, he's diminutive, Trey Burke sized but look at this. He's got an NBA pedigree his father Rick Brunson played forlike 8 years. also was a key contributor as a Fr. to Nova's national championship run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmR-I1W8k8Q

He's not gonna be overwhelmed by the moment this kid is SUPER NBA ready in certain aspects.

I mean if that rookie is Lonzo Ball than there's no doubt the answer is yes.. 3-5 seed is very tough tho This team now with Hill isn't the 3rd seed or competing for it tbh so that doesn't seem like a reasonable standard..

The team can make the playoffs and have a punchers chance.. .500 ball, especially if they get the right rookie..

Yeah but that's my point though, we're not getting Fultz or Lonzo Ball, so we're stuck with picking a PG in the mid 20's and they're not going to be able to start or make an impact straight away.

MIL got lucky with Brogdon, but even then it's not like he will start for a team in the WEST trying to reach 3rd-5th seed is he?

Jazz have absolutely screwed themselves over with their cheapness. Remember when I said that the main factor in Utah wanting Hill over Teague was because Hill was cheaper? lol. Guess that blew up in their faces. Not only does it sound like Hill will get 30 million a year when you could have had Teague for 20-ish per, but Teague has played the whole season, while Hill has missed significant time. You'd probably be around 40 wins right now with Teague. lol.

Utah could have brought Teague over, extended him with Gobert and had him for 20 million per year. Now, it looks like it'd be crazy to re-sign Hill at 30+, but if Hill walks, I'd go to Boston if I was Hayward...

Ha ha. But, at least we got those playoff runs with Al Jefferson and Corbin, right?

If I was Utah, I'd be busting my butt off to get a PG before the draft. I'd throw everything thing at PDX. Give PDX Favors, Hood, Exum, and a bunch of picks. If that doesn't work, I'd put everyone and anyone not named Gobert or Hayward on the market to get a third STAR, not "nice" player, but a STAR so Hayward doesn't walk.

Good old Utah. lol.

I don't know about that. I don't know if Teague's situation is as clear cut as you're making it out to be. If he could have been extended that cheaply why isn't IND extending him?

I think whether we got Teague or Hill it's just going to be the same situation, irregardlessly.

Good old Utah. lol.

Pretty sure Teague just wants to find a spot to compete that wants him too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqLv6qE768Q

Had a 17ast game this year and a 15..

Jazz have absolutely screwed themselves over with their cheapness. Remember when I said that the main factor in Utah wanting Hill over Teague was because Hill was cheaper? lol.

Well if you said it, it must be true. Or complete BS. One or the other.

Jalen Brunson is like a wise old sophomore and just has nerves of steel, he's diminutive, Trey Burke sized but look at this. He's got an NBA pedigree his father Rick Brunson played forlike 8 years. also was a key contributor as a Fr. to Nova's national championship run.

He's not gonna be overwhelmed by the moment this kid is SUPER NBA ready in certain aspects.

I don't think he has the athleticism or size. Nice drive on video, but not at all explosive.

I don't know about that. I don't know if Teague's situation is as clear cut as you're making it out to be. If he could have been extended that cheaply why isn't IND extending him?

I think whether we got Teague or Hill it's just going to be the same situation, irregardlessly.

I disagree. Teague stated over and over again he wanted to do a long term deal when he was traded. Ind hasn't done it yet, because of contract issues with George (wanting to extend/re-sign him).

We could have extended Teague the day after we aquired him. But, it now looks like both Ind and Utah will have to fork out big bucks to keep their PG's.

At least you can understand Ind...they were trying to keep George. Utah? Just cheap. Trying to outsmart the rest of the league.

I disagree. Teague stated over and over again he wanted to do a long term deal when he was traded. Ind hasn't done it yet, because of contract issues with George (wanting to extend/re-sign him).

We could have extended Teague the day after we aquired him. But, it now looks like both Ind and Utah will have to fork out big bucks to keep their PG's.

At least you can understand Ind...they were trying to keep George. Utah? Just cheap. Trying to outsmart the rest of the league.

You know when a player says he wants a long-term deal that means he wants a long-term deal at the price he wants, not just any deal, right?