What's new

Portland looking to move up

I just don't no where Batum fits in the rotation. Also he'll likely be a 1 year rental as he's an unrestricted free agent next year in what will be the craziest FA in the history of the nba. He's a good player... If it was to 19 I'd be in... Talent falls off somewhere right in that 18-20 range IMO.

No. I'm just not sold on Batum even breaking our regular rotation. For a one year rental, a guy who's not in the future of the team and to move down for basically taking on a contract they probably don't even want? Why would the Jazz consider that?

God I can't wait for the season to get close. If for nothing else than these stupid trade ideas will get off of the front page faster.

As others have said, not for a one year rental. If we're moving out pick, I'd prefer it be for a Burke replacement or possibly a stretch 4.

this wasn't a trade idea just wondering what jazzzfanz think

Yeah, there has definitely been some interest in Batum around here, so I don't think this is all that terrible. If Hood hadn't broken out a bit towards the end of the year, there might be a few more people react differently, but with Hood's emergence and Batum's contract, I don't think we should be looking in that direction. I think most people have accepted that we'll probably stand pat with our wings, unless we have one fall to us in the draft that we just can't pass on.

No. I'm just not sold on Batum even breaking our regular rotation. For a one year rental, a guy who's not in the future of the team and to move down for basically taking on a contract they probably don't even want? Why would the Jazz consider that?

Exactly, If anything, Portland should be GIVING UP an asset in exchange for a team taking on Batum's contract. I don't know what they're smoking up there, but every GM in the league is laughing at that offer.

Exactly, If anything, Portland should be GIVING UP an asset in exchange for a team taking on Batum's contract. I don't know what they're smoking up there, but every GM in the league is laughing at that offer.

Let's not get carried away. No way he has negative value. I could see a team like Boston with multiple picks taking a chance in hopes he just had a down year. Portland might be able to move up as high as 16 or so, but if not, they aren't going to have to pay to dump him.

Let's not get carried away. No way he has negative value. I could see a team like Boston with multiple picks taking a chance in hopes he just had a down year. Portland might be able to move up as high as 16 or so, but if not, they aren't going to have to pay to dump him.

OK, Portland sends us Batum and we send them the 2nd of our 2nd-rounders. He's a salary dump. Actually, I take that back. I wouldn't want him even at that price...unless Gobert insisted. Use up all Utah's cap space on a position that is our deepest. And he's 1 and done: he slumps again and Jazz won't want him back; he plays well and he becomes a FA in the crazy market of 2016. Would rather see DL take that $12M and find another big or somehow address the PG situation.

Rumors are out there that Boston is going to offer LaMarcus and Wes together as a package deal. What if Portland decides to blow it up if they lose LMA? They let everyone walk, trade Batum for a pick (by the way, Batum is better than anyone available at #12. I love how much people completely, irrationally, overrate draft picks). They could go into next year with Lilliard, CJ and Meyers Leonard. That isn't a bad core to build around. They would suck next year, but if they were able to get #12 from this year, then add a top 5 pick next year, they could be really, really good quickly.

Crazy how fast things can change now in the NBA.

There is a chance that we can win our division next year, depending on what happens with Durrant's injury. If he isn't 100%, are we the best team in our division?

(by the way, Batum is better than anyone available at #12. I love how much people completely, irrationally, overrate draft picks).

Batum has one year left on his contract, and you have no idea if there is a Leonard or Giannis available in the teens. Draft picks are a crap shoot for the most part, especially the later you draft, but for a team like Utah that is trying to build a contender, it would be silly to give up a shot at a player that could be here long term to gamble on a guy who is coming off a bad year and will almost certainly leave after one year. Building through the draft is easily the most important way to build for a team like Utah. Look at the teams that trade away all their picks to try and take the fast track to success, and tell me how much success they've had. Hell, even teams like the Knicks and Lakers who have never really built through the draft, are starting to change the way they do things. It's very possible that Utah may be better off trading their pick this year, but there is plenty of validity in keeping our pick if the right deal isn't available. Moving it for Batum would be extremely short-sighted, like Billy King level.

OK, Portland sends us Batum and we send them the 2nd of our 2nd-rounders. He's a salary dump. Actually, I take that back. I wouldn't want him even at that price...unless Gobert insisted. Use up all Utah's cap space on a position that is our deepest. And he's 1 and done: he slumps again and Jazz won't want him back; he plays well and he becomes a FA in the crazy market of 2016. Would rather see DL take that $12M and find another big or somehow address the PG situation.

I've already said in this thread that I'm not interested in him for Utah. Just the same, he doesn't have negative value, and I could see a team like Boston taking a chance on him for their #16.

Not sure why we want Batum when we already have burks hood Hayward and ingles. I'd do it for CJ though. He'd fit us like a glove. Can play with Exum and all our wings as all can initiate the offense. He's who we should've taken over Burke and the #1 guy I wanted.