What's new

Portland looking to move up

Not sure why we want Batum when we already have burks hood Hayward and ingles. I'd do it for CJ though. He'd fit us like a glove. Can play with Exum and all our wings as all can initiate the offense. He's who we should've taken over Burke and the #1 guy I wanted.

Not sure why we want Batum when we already have burks hood Hayward and ingles. I'd do it for CJ though. He'd fit us like a glove. Can play with Exum and all our wings as all can initiate the offense. He's who we should've taken over Burke and the #1 guy I wanted.
My thought is that if Portland is willing to trade Burks for Batum then I'd do it.

Otherwise I completely agree with you.

(If this post does make sense just know I got no sleep last night and I'm slightly drugged up due to this annoying sickness)

Only guy who interests me on Portland is Leonard, think he could fit great with either Favors or Gobert. And they wouldn't even consider that deal.

Rumors are out there that Boston is going to offer LaMarcus and Wes together as a package deal. What if Portland decides to blow it up if they lose LMA? They let everyone walk, trade Batum for a pick (by the way, Batum is better than anyone available at #12. I love how much people completely, irrationally, overrate draft picks). They could go into next year with Lilliard, CJ and Meyers Leonard. That isn't a bad core to build around. They would suck next year, but if they were able to get #12 from this year, then add a top 5 pick next year, they could be really, really good quickly.

Crazy how fast things can change now in the NBA.

There is a chance that we can win our division next year, depending on what happens with Durrant's injury. If he isn't 100%, are we the best team in our division?

If we are going to trade away our #12, we better be getting a back up center for it, because that is a position that we actually need to fill.

I think we absolutely should do it. The draft is incredibly uncertain. With the 12th pick, its likely we end up with less value than we hope for. Batum up until last year was considered an higher tier wing on par with Hayward. The spurs run Ginobili, Leonard, Green, and Bellinelli at the wing, not to mention a good chunk of time to Diaw at the point forward. So why couldnt the Jazz run Hayward, Hood, Burks, and Batum? They can shoot, dribble, pass, and defend which is the model of the Spurs wing players. Theres so much small ball these days you could probably run 3 of them at a time, so i think playing time would be a non-issue. Truth is, as Amin El Hassan would put it, Nicolas Batum aint walkin thru that door!! at the 12 spot. I would do this trade in a heartbeat (But only if he agrees resign with us. Which I think is possible because hes buddies w Gobstopper and understands the power of the Gobstopper. Because of this, i cant think of another guy we could trade for that is a better option. This trade was literally built for Utah.)

Sine this the Portland thread here think Ill mention how I hyped up Leonard before the draft. Said he would be better then that scrub Kanter. Meyers is now a major building block along with Lillard for the Blazers. Maybe you guys should listen to me. You always want white players and I told you this kid would be a good one. Dream on now, Portland would never trade him to you.lmao.

My thought is that if Portland is willing to trade Burks for Batum then I'd do it.

(If this post does make sense just know I got no sleep last night and I'm slightly drugged up due to this annoying sickness)

Boo! Burks will be better than batum or our #12 pick this year

I'd only trade for Batum if we traded Burks. Maybe even Burks, 54th pick (or a non guaranteed deal like Milsap or Johnson) for Batum. So, we get to keep our Lotto Pick and our cap space to add to the team.

If we traded for Batum - Burks/Johnson
Then traded for Spencer Hawes - future 2nd/-Salary dump for Clippers-
we could still have enough asserts left in Booker, Millsap, some cap space, lotto pick, 2 future 1st , and a bunch of 2nds to upgrade our pg spot.

I'd only trade for Batum if we traded Burks. Maybe even Burks, 54th pick (or a non guaranteed deal like Milsap or Johnson) for Batum. So, we get to keep our Lotto Pick and our cap space to add to the team.

If we traded for Batum - Burks/Johnson
Then traded for Spencer Hawes - future 2nd/-Salary dump for Clippers-
we could still have enough asserts left in Booker, Millsap, some cap space, lotto pick, 2 future 1st , and a bunch of 2nds to upgrade our pg spot.

You'd trade Burks before the #12!!!!?????

I am amazed at how overvalued draft picks are. It's crazy. Odds are, the 12 pick will SUCK. If you can get an NBA player for #12, you do it.

If Portland offers Batum for #12, you take it. And you don't offer Burks.

I am amazed at how overvalued draft picks are. It's crazy. Odds are, the 12 pick will SUCK. If you can get an NBA player for #12, you do it.

This. And I think he was confused.
He said trade Burks for batum, then later in the same post he said the jazz would have batum and burks/johnson.

Maybe he meant trade burke for batum

I said I'd trade Burks for Batum to Package the 12th pick for a better more established PG, until Exum is ready!! I said I'd also use the cap space we would save on A player like Hawes for David Lee to add to our front court dept. Reread my post. I thnk Batum would be a better fit for this Jazz team then Burks. Nothing against Burks, very talented player!! Batum to me is a very likely buy low candidate! Get him healthy and let Coach do his thing! Batums a better Shooter, ft Shooter, Bigger, Rebs more, Ast more, stls more, blcks more. Downside Batum is 3 years old but postitive note, hes only 26.

the reason i consider Batum is that from what i read Batum and Gobert are pretty good friends. I think Goberts work ethic will help renew Batum to his old glory. Keep in mind that if the Jazz trade for Batum they own his bird rights and could be the only team to give him a 5 year contract next year or the larger pay increases, if he shows he is worth it.

I agree the Jazz need to get rid of burke and I feel with the Jazz system right now Burks can play the 1/2 in the offense especially if he is on the floor with Hood because hood can initiate the offense. There for Batum would not be taking minutes away from hayward hood or burks.

I said I'd trade Burks for Batum to Package the 12th pick for a better more established PG, until Exum is ready!! I said I'd also use the cap space we would save on A player like Hawes for David Lee to add to our front court dept. Reread my post. I thnk Batum would be a better fit for this Jazz team then Burks. Nothing against Burks, very talented player!! Batum to me is a very likely buy low candidate! Get him healthy and let Coach do his thing! Batums a better Shooter, ft Shooter, Bigger, Rebs more, Ast more, stls more, blcks more. Downside Batum is 3 years old but postitive note, hes only 26.

I think goes back to my "people over-rate picks" rant. I don't think you need to send Burks to get Batum. The 12 pick would do it. So, if Portland would take the 12 pick, I'd do it. If they want Burks, I'm not sure I do that. Batum had a down year, big cap number and will be a FA when the cap goes up. I'd rather have Burks at 10 per than Batum at 16 per.

If you are going to try to get Lee from GS, then screw Batum. Go back and try to work a trade that centers around Lee/Barnes for Burke/12 pick/Booker.

Barnes>12 pick and Burke
Lee>Booker. Plus, Booker and Lee are one year players in Utah anyways.

Then bring Deron back after he is stretched/bought out for the mid level exception. Then next summer, you still have room to max someone, along with everyone else. BUT, if you just won 55 games, you become very enticing to player. Who knows?

Deron/Exum
Hayward/Burks
Barnes/Hood
Favors/Lee
Gobert

That team wins 55 games next year.

Denver would agree with you. Suckas.

So would Houston. Look what Houston has built scamming people for valuable draft picks. Same with Boston. Boston won titles by trading away draft picks.

Draft picks are only valuable until the night of the draft. Then when you go to pick, and you look at the crap you have to pick from, you realize your pick was garbage all along. If someone will trade you a starter for a 11+ pick, do it. Don't even consider it. Do it. It's a no brainer.

So would Houston. Look what Houston has built scamming people for valuable draft picks. Same with Boston. Boston won titles by trading away draft picks.

Draft picks are only valuable until the night of the draft. Then when you go to pick, and you look at the crap you have to pick from, you realize your pick was garbage all along. If someone will trade you a starter for a 11+ pick, do it. Don't even consider it. Do it. It's a no brainer.

No, it's not always a no brainer. All trades are not created equal, and sometimes you are better off keeping your pick and taking your chances on drafting a player. I am a big supporter of Boston's rebuild model, but there are many variables in making something like that happen. Al Jefferson was the main piece in the deal for KG, and he was drafted at 15. Now, according to your line of thinking, Boston should have dumped that worthless #15 for a player coming off a bad year and had one year left on their contract, right? Instead, Boston drafted a good player at 15, developed him enough to the point he had good value, and then capitalized on it. Drafting a player at 15 was a big part of what happened in Boston.
Also, most Jazz fans wanted to trade the NY pick for a role player because of the fact they were assuming that pick would have little value. Instead, Utah was patient and held on to it, and drafted Gordon Hayward. Draft picks can be more valuable when traded in the right deal, but it is certainly not a no brainer to assume they will have little value.

Last edited:
No, it's not always a no brainer. All trades are not created equal, and sometimes you are better off keeping your pick and taking your chances on drafting a player. I am a big supporter of Boston's rebuild model, but there are many variables in making something like that happen. Al Jefferson was the main piece in the deal for KG, and he was drafted at 15. Now, according to your line of thinking, Boston should have dumped that worthless #15 for a player coming off a bad year and had one year left on their contract, right? Instead, Boston drafted a good player at 15, developed him enough to the point he had good value, and then capitalized on it. Drafting a player at 15 was a big part of what happened in Boston.
Also, most Jazz fans wanted to trade the NY pick for a role player because of the fact they were assuming that pick would have little value. Instead, Utah was patient and held on to it, and drafted Gordon Hayward. Draft picks can be more valuable when traded in the right deal, but it is certainly not a no brainer to assume they will have little value.

I love how you keep putting words in my mouth.

Please show me where I said you should dump the #12 or the #15 just to dump it.

I've never said that.

I've said if someone offers you Barnes, or Batum, or Garnett for the #12 or the #15 pick, you trade it. You don't think twice. Barnes and Batum are better than 95% of the picks taken at 12, and Garnett is better than 99.9% of the picks at 12.

You guys keep putting words in my mouth and jumping to conclusions.

first Utah is not a market like Houston or Boston so that argument doesn't work.

ok if I was Utah and Portland came calling I think I would ask for cj McCollum and Batum and let them keep the 23rd. offer Burke as an option too. Leonard would be in the discussion also