What's new

Potential Trade Targets

Does anyone have a reason for why Murray went from being a fabulous rebounder for a guard on the Spurs to a mediocre one on the Hawks (sort of in tandom with an overall decline in +/- effectiveness)?

You're going to have to explain to me how Zach LaVine is a loser but Dejounte Murray isnt.

Both players have only made the playoffs once as main pieces on a team. Dejounte got traded to a team and that team got worse (not saying it's his fault either way, but it happened).
They both might have some career loser energy but LaVine's teams are generally better (sometimes by a lot) when he is off the court. Minny was ugly but just in Chicago is on/off diff over 5 seasons is -2. Murray is a positive +.3 for his career. He's been negative in Atlanta.

Make of that what you will. Both guys are guys you look at and you know they are good but are they like average starter impact good or something more?

Only really interested in Murray. Hypothetically Siakam, but that would be predicated on us not really giving up much, which wouldn't be the case. The Murray situation was one of the unexplored gripes I had about the Collins deal because getting Murray would have actually made a lot of sense and reaching for Collins, who didn't make sense, eliminated that as being any kind of potential option.

If we're in the hunt of "the next Lauri" (which isn't the most realistic strategy globally), it's going to be Murray.

The problem with this is Dejounte signed an extension and wasn’t eligible to be traded for 6 months. At that point I’m sure Atlanta would have found a different suitor for Collins anyways if we passed.

I think Murray interests me the most. Jones, Brogdon, Morris and some of the basic point guard types are a bit less interesting now that Dunn and Sexton are playing better and George is functional.

I think my biggest trade interests are players on our team... going to other teams and we get nothing or picks back. Would just like to consolidate or clear some playing time for the young guys.

The problem with this is Dejounte signed an extension and wasn’t eligible to be traded for 6 months. At that point I’m sure Atlanta would have found a different suitor for Collins anyways if we passed.
I'm not sure they do... it wasn't like they hadn't tried. I think it might have been Hunter that got moved instead to make the budget work. Either way we should have passed.

Is Murray a pg?
If the answer is yes then we would have to send a pg out on the trade.

Would be dumb to have tht, Dunn, key, sexton, and Murray imo

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

I’m pretty sure they could have once them came down on their price.
Maybe but I obviously think we were the best offer they had at the time so maybe it would have been like Bertans for Collins or something from Dallas. So definitely not as good. I would have waited it out. At least keep the second out or get some second rounders coming our way. Or I would just be cool missing the boat... I mean its John Collins so I could get him in season when he hits the trade market again jk.

Maybe but I obviously think we were the best offer they had at the time so maybe it would have been like Bertans for Collins or something from Dallas. So definitely not as good. I would have waited it out. At least keep the second out or get some second rounders coming our way. Or I would just be cool missing the boat... I mean its John Collins so I could get him in season when he hits the trade market again jk.

I think you’re preaching to the choir now. I wonder if they weren’t confident in being able to sign some guys or they just really liked Collins.

I think you’re preaching to the choir now. I wonder if they weren’t confident in being able to sign some guys or they just really liked Collins.
I've questioned their motivations on guys to an extreme extent (down payment theory) and I think its best to just assume they liked the player more than those that are skeptical of the trade. I think they were chasing Lauri 2.0 and liked the player. I think if you limit him to corner threes and give him some drive/roll opportunities he can be fairly effective in a limited role. The issue is the contract and how it skews what we are doing. Walker has forced anyone's hand with his up and down play... but at some point I think you need to move him into the third big role. I'm okay with Walker having to prove it over a longer span.

My price on Dejounte is like Jordan, Ochai, and a first. It likely requires more to get him but that's my ballpark.

I've questioned their motivations on guys to an extreme extent (down payment theory) and I think its best to just assume they liked the player more than those that are skeptical of the trade. I think they were chasing Lauri 2.0 and liked the player. I think if you limit him to corner threes and give him some drive/roll opportunities he can be fairly effective in a limited role. The issue is the contract and how it skews what we are doing. Walker has forced anyone's hand with his up and down play... but at some point I think you need to move him into the third big role. I'm okay with Walker having to prove it over a longer span.

The contract is the biggest hindrance to me. I think he’s been playing fine.

Supposedly Murray had an IG post he deleted that said he was headed to NY. Might be something already agreed to or really close.

I don’t think I want to target anybody. I like the idea of pushing to be better and to aim for the stretch goal of making the play in —- but I think we should do it with “the army we have”. My only interest in trades are to sell high on players that aren’t likely a part of our future (THT, Collins) for draft assets or scrubs mainly so we can free time for player development of our key young guys.

What the hell? Didn't they just trade Quickley? That can't be right.
Many believe there will be a little two-step here.

They do need another ball handler but more for the second unit. I think they were okay with Brunson and IQ but Thibs is a little old school and would want more size. I don't think its great for them. I wonder what the price will be for Murray but I think he's for sure getting moved by the deadline.