What's new

Potential Trade Targets

How would being a ball pounder and jump shooter prevent you from getting stats?
It wouldn't.
But if that's ALL you are like the post said, then it would.

Apparently he is more than just a ball pounder and jump shooter though.

He is apparently also a passer, rebounder, and steal getter in addition to being a ball pounder and jump shooter.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Caruso would be great, but everyone is going to want him. That's the issue right now. The quality guys out there are going to have a lot of suitors.
We have the assets to outbid most teams if we are truly committed to winning. The only question is how committed are we

Murray has really good assist stats despite the fact that he's never set the world on fire as a shooter. In other words, his threat as a shooter isn't opening up his passing game. I think he's got good feel and vision. And he's a plus defender. We need all three of those things.

And I can see a path to buy low on Giddey without giving up Lauri. At some point OKC has to sell low on some of their players because they simply can't keep them all. They have like 30 picks coming up in the next 5 seasons and unless they package them all in a deal to acquire a true star, they would have no choice but be forced to do a firesale.

Don’t let guys like TU and Cy fool you. Dejounte was wildly effective his last year in SA. His advanced stats were extremely good that year.

In win shares he was around guys like LeBron, Booker, Bam, Donovan, Curry, etc.

He was 18th in defensive win shares in the entire league as well.

He also averaged 9.2 APG and was an all-star.

Dude totally sucks and is only a ball pounder and jump shooter though.

I’m trying to envision our playoff failures but had Murray instead of Mitchell and can’t help but think we’d have gone significantly farther, despite Mitchell being the much better overall talent.

In our current rebuild, I’d see Murray as a guy who’s more valuable overall than the sum of his parts, and that’s what we’d really need. Guys like Collins and LaVine are less than the sum of their parts and I really hope we don’t continue down that road.

Spurs traded him because they wanted to tank for Wembanyama plus Atlanta gave them two unprotected firsts, a protected first and a pick swap.

Don’t let guys like TU and Cy fool you. Dejounte was wildly effective his last year in SA. His advanced stats were extremely good that year.

In win shares he was around guys like LeBron, Booker, Bam, Donovan, Curry, etc.

He was 18th in defensive win shares in the entire league as well.

He also averaged 9.2 APG and was an all-star.

Dude totally sucks and is only a ball pounder and jump shooter though.
And D'Angelo Russell had a really great season for the Brooklyn Nets one year too......

Murray has really good assist stats despite the fact that he's never set the world on fire as a shooter. In other words, his threat as a shooter isn't opening up his passing game. I think he's got good feel and vision. And he's a plus defender. We need all three of those things.
It's changed since. He's making 2.5 threes per game on 38% clip. Murray is definitely a well above average 3pt shooter now by all standards.

I think it's fair to question how much Lavine and Murray actually help you win. Looking at some data, their 3 year RAPM (20-23) isn't actual that bad:

RAPM rank / Luck Adjusted RAPM rank:

Lavine: 90 / 79
Murray: 96 / 70

These numbers are still noisy in a multi-year context, but I was actually surprised both were so high. They (Lavine in particular) have a reputation as losing players, but their teams' performance with and without them doesn't suggest that. They are not +/- gods like IQ or Caruso, but grade out higher than other players mentioned who would typically be seen as "winning" players. Overall I'd still say they are both a tad overrated by their box score output, I think they fall higher in consensus rankings because of that output. But their teams' performance does not suggest they are obvious, losing players. My first impression from diving into the rapm data is that while they are overrated from a casual fan's perspective, they probably get too much flak from the diehards.

Lavine is a really strong offensive player + neutral defender whose main contribution is bringing up the team's offensive efficiency. Defensively, he kills his team as a rebounder, but is better in other than you would expect elsewhere. IMO, this checks out. He's obviously a very efficient scorer, and defensively his effort isn't there which is reflected in the poor rebounding.

Murray is more of an all around player. His rebounding is good but does not make as much of an impact as you would expect. The one area where Murray stands out is reducing the amount of time his team turns over the ball, where he is elite. His impact on FTr is also very bad, which checks out and is the main thing keeping him from the next level.

The funny **** about the Dejounte Murray breakout year in SAS is that his presence held back the Spurs from knowing how special Derrick White was...
White has also made remarkable improvement as a shooter since leaving Spurs though. Who knows what his shooting is gonna look like had he stayed with them. I'd say their shooting development is highly overrated. Especially after Engelland left. Just look at Sochan and Wemby.

He’s not a discount version when it costs two firsts to get him.
Celtics version of White now would take much more than just 2 firsts lol. Spurs sold low on him plus he's made great improvement on his game since landing in Boston.

Bro… team record is what you’re using to decipher who’s better or not… wild. When you’re reaching this hard and agreeing with TU on something it’s time to take a look in the mirror.
I mean, I've used other things as well. Just giving you all the pieces.

I just dont think a player have a great season on a mediocre team is the end all be all. Teams have been using "look at how skilled and talented D'Lo is" for years now and he hasnt made a good team better. He's a great floor raiser though and I think that's what Dejounte ultimately is.

I just dont want someone on my team who has to take 17 shots to average 20 per game. It's just hard to win a lot of games that way. The moment his shooting efficiency drops he's going to be an absolute toilet scorer.