What's new

Potential Trade Targets

Why is Keyonte playing then?
Because we had THT, Clarkson, and Sexton to start the season that couldn't look up, run an offense, and move the ball. He could and did.

Playing him is partially for the future but it's also allowed the Jazz to bench these guys and force them to actually play the right way. You can still see it used with Sexton when he reverts back to head down scoring no matter what mentality. He is inconsistent on offense but consistently moves the ball and gets it in other guys hands and plays team ball. Those other guys sometimes do that but usually not. They might be scoring well and even getting assists but the ball tends to stick.

This is one of the main reasons for the turn around this year.

Because we had THT, Clarkson, and Sexton to start the season that couldn't look up, run an offense, and move the ball. He could and did.

Playing him is partially for the future but it's also allowed the Jazz to bench these guys and force them to actually play the right way. You can still see it used with Sexton when he reverts back to head down scoring no matter what mentality. He is inconsistent on offense but consistently moves the ball and gets it in other guys hands and plays team ball. Those other guys sometimes do that but usually not. They might be scoring well and even getting assists but the ball tends to stick.

This is one of the main reasons for the turn around this year.
Trying to find logic in Keyonte getting rotation minutes is a fool's errand. He's literally been one of the worst NBA players getting steady burn.

The best way to upgrade the Jazz's defense is to trade Clarkson.

He's the worst defender on the team who gets the most minutes.

Some may say KO, but at least KO is an intelligent team defender who helps the team make a lot of defensive plays.

If you are building a team around Sexton and Lauri you're never going to be that good defensively unless you're putting first/second team defensive talent around them *cough get Alex Caruso cough*.

You also dont *have* to trade KO to open up minutes for Hendricks. Pretty sure the Jazz have stated (maybe indirectly through reporters) that they view Hendricks as a Covington type. They can find minutes for him on the wing if they wanted.

Trying to find logic in Keyonte getting rotation minutes is a fool's errand. He's literally been one of the worst NBA players getting steady burn.
The logic isnt hard. Keyonte has shown a lot of promise and generally plays how Hardy wants a guard to play.

Didnt Hardy basically admit he didnt like Sexton at first? I know the point of that is that he has come around on him, but there is still that initial impression of who Sexton was in Cleveland that still pops out from time to time when he's driving into the paint and somehow can't see the obvious kick out options he has. or when he ignores an entry pass to Lauri in the post vs a mismatch.

They are trying to fast-track Keyonte's development because they want the option of trading Sexton on the table much in the way Cleveland did when Garland became the obvious better player.

The theorem remains undefeated.

I've read and think I understand your stance on this, but just to be clear: Just because a player that isn't playing isn't necessarily bad, doesn't make him necessarily good either. Also, just because it's impossible to know if handling of a young player (limiting minutes/G League/Etc.) ends up being responsible for them playing well eventually, it doesn't necessarily mean that the handling wasn't responsible for that.

I think you understand this, but sometimes when you post it feels like you are going to the opposite logical fallacy, or in other words if a young player doesn't get minutes and then eventually does and plays well, that he would have played well all along and that him being held back (limiting minutes/GLeage/etc.) has nothing to do with him playing well.

The truth is it's impossible to say and by drawing either conclusion you are making assumptions that aren't based on anything that can be 100% known.

I've read and think I understand your stance on this, but just to be clear: Just because a player that isn't playing isn't necessarily bad, doesn't make him necessarily good either. Also, just because it's impossible to know if handling of a young player (limiting minutes/G League/Etc.) ends up being responsible for them playing well eventually, it doesn't necessarily mean that the handling wasn't responsible for that.

I think you understand this, but sometimes when you post it feels like you are going to the opposite logical fallacy, or in other words if a young player doesn't get minutes and then eventually does and plays well, that he would have played well all along and that him being held back (limiting minutes/GLeage/etc.) has nothing to do with him playing well.

The truth is it's impossible to say and by drawing either conclusion you are making assumptions that aren't based on anything that can be 100% known.
Yes, I understand this. I don't emphasize the inverse because the inverse has a pretty decent track record of always being called out (rightfully so) as a logical fallacy. Its opposite, not so much. You need to appeal to some kind of argument, and that's generally accepted that you need some level of evidence, but for this argument we require very little evidence other than an appeal to authority. Now, that's not nothing, to be sure, but what it certainly isn't is a trump card. It most certainly doesn't hold enough value to end debate. My frustrations with it isn't that it can or can't be used as an argument, just the imbalance in the acceptability of which situations are appropriate for appealing to a "common sense" argument and how prevalent those arguments are.

Yes, I understand this. I don't emphasize the inverse because the inverse has a pretty decent track record of always being called out (rightfully so) as a logical fallacy. Its opposite, not so much. You need to appeal to some kind of argument, and that's generally accepted that you need some level of evidence, but for this argument we require very little evidence other than an appeal to authority. Now, that's not nothing, to be sure, but what it certainly isn't is a trump card. It most certainly doesn't hold enough value to end debate. My frustrations with it isn't that it can or can't be used as an argument, just the imbalance in the acceptability of which situations are appropriate for appealing to a "common sense" argument and how prevalent those arguments are.

Yeah, I think we generally agree on this then. I do think as long as people clarify their argument/evidence it's ok to bring it up. For example, not only are the coaches more knowledgeable about basketball than us, but they also have more evidence than us. They are obviously far from infallible and make lots of mistakes, the most common being having 0 tolerance for rookie mistakes and 100% tolerance for veteran mistakes. So while people shouldn't say, "Player X is obviously not ready because Coach Y isn't putting him in" I think it would be fair to say, "Maybe coach Y is seeing something that is preventing him from playing Player X."

FWIW I do see the inverse being said, specifically with Ochai last year. I'm not sure it's as pervasive a problem, but it does bug me, especially when the evidence we do have (When a player does play they are bad) doesn't support the conclusion that (If they would have got to play more they would have been good).

When a young player is good enough you just realize it (Lively, Jaquez...). Our rooks don't belong there.
On TH and BS we don't know any thing besides that they're not appear NBA ready.
On KG we know he's playing just for a perceived future potential and no player before him is doing marvels; certainly he's not playing because he's a positive impact player out there.
And I think all the above describes well enough where we are... in the middle of nowhere.
I really don't perceive us being buyers right now...

this is the challenge in getting firsts for guys like KO and JC. Unless one of these teams want them you are going to have a hard time finding a first.
You'd think Knicks/Pelicans would be making moves with all those picks. Both are kind of on the cusp of being threats to make it to the conference finals.

You'd think Knicks/Pelicans would be making moves with all those picks. Both are kind of on the cusp of being threats to make it to the conference finals.
I doubt the Knicks use their assets soon. They are probably still holding out hope for Donovan this this summer.

Brian Windhorst said today the most likely Utah Jazz player to be traded is Kelly Olynyk.

He also said contrary to what we did last season we could look to acquire players at the the trade deadline.

When a young player is good enough you just realize it (Lively, Jaquez...). Our rooks don't belong there.
I mean this isn't true at all. Some players pop after some time in the league (SGA and Lauri for a couple) and there are some players who look really, really good as rookies who never really turn into what you project from their rookie campaign (Rodney Hood is probably an example, Scotty Barnes if you are feeling adventurous.) The trick is that the average player level is so good in the NBA right now that giving Development Time to a rookie isn't always a no brainer, especially when the G league is becoming more relevant every year. I would much rather have Hendricks in the G league than another year of college.