What's new

Predict Pace

What pace will Utah play at this season?

• Total voters

Cappy_Smurf

Ok, so I think one of the most intriguing questions going into the season is how successfully Quin will adjust our pace with only two 3 point shooters in the starting lineup. Last year we were dead last I believe and that will almost certainly be a significant problem with Favors and Rubio in the starting lineup.

And I know some people will suggest Favors gets moved to the bench at some point, but I don't think that's a realistic scenario if he's healthy. Utah will want to trade him if they don't think he's going to work Rudy, and it makes no sense to move him to the bench if you're seeking a trade.

Personally, I think a healthy Favors will work just fine next Rudy. The other option might be for Mitchell to break out and take the starting spot from Rubio, but as much as I like Mitchell, I consider that option to be unlikely as well.

That leaves us with Quin trying to take this team from slowest pace to one that's considerably faster, which seems like it might be a challenge.

Last edited:
I still think we're gonna be dead last again.

Last year we had Hayward at the 3 who was athletic and fast, ... now you replace him with Ingles.

Then you've got a healthy Favors coming back into the starting line up.

Yep. Dead last.

On average, I think the jazz play a little bit faster because of Rubio's gifts in transition. I think they will play more than a little faster with certain lineups... and perhaps with most of them... if it works. I think there are a lot of signs to indicate that they want to try an increased pace.

I'm not trying to waffle here... so I'll make a less conservative guess and say "middles of the pack" (and not just because I like saying "middles")

Let me see...

Jazz Pace last season was 91.6 good enough for dead last in the nba.

Jazz played faster when these players were on the floor:

Ingles 91.7
Mack 91.7
Lyles 91.8
Burks 93.0
Withey 93.1
Neto 92.3
Bolomboy 94.1

Jazz played slower with these guys
Rudy 90.5
Haynerd 91.0
Joe Johnson 91.2
Hood 90.3
Hill 90.2
Diaw 90.1
Exum 91.4
Favors 90.4

Ricky Rubio's is supposed to play better faster, but his former team played at the 25th slowest pace 94.6, and ricky played at 94.8. (Thibodo maybe?)

I predict the Jazz attempt to increase their pace during the first few weeks of the season, but never move out of the bottom 10, before settling into last place again at about 92.5

If the Jazz want to win with the team they have, you gotta slow the game down and muck things up and grind out the win. A lot like when Memphis used to do that. We will be the new grind house!

Between losing Hayward, a lateral move at best at the point, horrific floor spacing... This team is set up for pounding the ball for 23 seconds every possession.

Players as slow as molasses, a coach as rigid as a ****ing mannequin, and not even a hint of a go-to player to be found on the roster.

Hell, we might average 55 ppg.

On average, I think the jazz play a little bit faster because of Rubio's gifts in transition. I think they will play more than a little faster with certain lineups... and perhaps with most of them... if it works. I think there are a lot of signs to indicate that they want to try an increased pace.

I'm not trying to waffle here... so I'll make a less conservative guess and say "middles of the pack" (and not just because I like saying "middles")

I think we will be a bit faster, but it will be more opportunistic running than playing faster. I think PG dictates pace more than any other position.

I also think with Ingles, Rubio, and DM getting steals and deflections on the wing will help us get more transition buckets. Exum and Sefolosha being disruptive on the wing should help as well.

Favs is slow, but Rudy works harder than any other center in the league to change ends... he will get some trailer dunks if we probe the defense a bit more.

Spot on. The slow pace has been and is by design, with Rubio you definitely will be out running much more.

I think we will actually surprise people this year with our pace, as in exceed expectations. But that will actually put us in the middle of the pack, towards the lower end.

SLC dunk has their projected starting lineup with Joe Johnson starting at the 4.

Utah definitely won't be keeping Favors past this year if he's healthy and not starting. I think you have to start him until you can either find a trade or decide to try and re-sign him.

You mean like Joe Johnson? Too bad we don't have a guy like that. Really could have used him in the clippers series.

We can create shots with JJ and Hood (he's good at getting looks even if the looks aren't high quality). We lack a volume scorer though which will hurt us some nights.

SLC dunk has their projected starting lineup with Joe Johnson starting at the 4.

Utah definitely won't be keeping Favors past this year if he's healthy and not starting. I think you have to start him until you can either find a trade or decide to try and re-sign him.

I agree even if it is a token start and he comes out after 5-6 minutes to split up the Favs Gobert minutes. We need to see them play together and I'd like to keep JJs minutes a little lower... dude is old.

Making the game ugly is what we do... long possessions take the air out of the ball and make teams defend longer. Playing faster may not equal playing better.

Favors looks fantastic.With Gobert embracing his leadership role,I think Gobert/Favors are going to be playing with a major chip on their shoulders this year.These guys will destroy smallball lineups by overpowering them with in the paint play.

I think the Jazz can make it to the middle of the pack in game pace with Rubio and Exum playing PG.Rubio a master at uptempo and Exum backing him up with his up the court speed.I really think the more pace the Jazz play will equal more wins this year.I don't think being at the bottom in pace will get them wins.Jazz can speed the game up with defensive pressure.A team with Rubio,Exum,Mitchell ,Sefalosha,Ingles at the wing positions backed up by Gobert and Favors behind them can and should pressure offenses all over the court.
This can actually be a fun Jazz team to watch if they bring defensive pressure the full 48 minutes.