What's new

Predict Pace

What pace will Utah play at this season?

• Total voters
SLC dunk has their projected starting lineup with Joe Johnson starting at the 4.

SLC Dunk (or at least one major contributor who seems to have a pretty active imagination and make logical leaps that others aren't willing to make) also thinks the Jazz have told Rubio on the low-down [EDIT: "the down-low" -- I'm growing senile in my word usage as I age] to expect a trade now that Hayward's gone, since they have a rising star that they want to make time for behind him (Exum), and that Bob Delaney no longer has a job because of DL's interview with Woj on reffing last season. I wouldn't pay them too much mind.

Last edited:
SLC Dunk (or at least one major contributor who seems to have a pretty active imagination and make logical leaps that others aren't willing to make) also thinks the Jazz have told Rubio on the low-down [EDIT: "the down-low" -- I'm growing senile in my word usage as I age] to expect a trade now that Hayward's gone, since they have a rising star that they want to make time for behind him (Exum), and that Bob Delaney no longer has a job because of DL's interview with Woj on reffing last season. I wouldn't pay them too much mind.

The main editor of SLC Dunk is also unreasonably high on Dante Exum, so that would explain their thoughts on an impending Rubio trade.

One things for sure, we'll probably be the team with the most 24 second violations.

We can create shots with JJ and Hood (he's good at getting looks even if the looks aren't high quality). We lack a volume scorer though which will hurt us some nights.

Cool, but I was responding to quote that said we have "Not even a hint of a go to scorer". I don't expect for Joe to carry us all year, but I think he qualifies as a hint at the very least.

Making the game ugly is what we do... long possessions take the air out of the ball and make teams defend longer. Playing faster may not equal playing better.

No doubt, playing faster can lead to bad decisions and more mistakes. However, with the ball in Rubio's hands, I expect the team to be out and running a lot more than last year. Our half-court offense could get really ugly with hood and Ingles being the only guys you have to guard on the perimeter. Good defensive teams are going to make it really tough, and I expect we'll see a lot of teams slacking off Rubio and Favors and daring them to shoot threes and long twos.

The crazy thing is Utah has a huge advantage with altitude. So instead of building a roster towards up tempo and fast play. They play slow. It's one thing I have never understood.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The crazy thing is Utah has a huge advantage with altitude. So instead of building a roster towards up tempo and fast play. They play slow. It's one thing I have never understood.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Pace isn't a direct translation as to the tempo the offense is run. Its not like the Jazz walked the ball up the floor every time last year. They just run a lot of sets that involve a lot of passing.

So they could still be taking advantage of altitude by playing with tempo even if it doesn't translate to a high possession game.

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

Pace isn't a direct translation as to the tempo the offense is run. Its not like the Jazz walked the ball up the floor every time last year. They just run a lot of sets that involve a lot of passing.

So they could still be taking advantage of altitude by playing with tempo even if it doesn't translate to a high possession game.

But they didn't wear out any teams strength wise playing this style of basketball.Teams didn't look gassed at all in the 4th quarter.Jazz need to run at all times ,it's not like Jazz will forget how to pass .Combine the passing with a faster pace.

But they didn't wear out any teams strength wise playing this style of basketball.Teams didn't look gassed at all in the 4th quarter.Jazz need to run at all times ,it's not like Jazz will forget how to pass .Combine the passing with a faster pace.
That's the thing though. Pace isn't dictated by running, its dictated by how many possessions you play, which has more to do with how quickly you shoot.

Are we sure running up the floor and forcing a bad shot is as taxing as say running up the floor, forcing a team to play transition D, then running half court offense which forces a team to defend through screens and action?

Quin states that they run the offense the way they do because he wants everyone to touch the ball so they feel connected in the offense, which he believes lead to more engagement on defense.

So I really don't think we see any drastic pace changes. I expect it to go up, but not by that much.

Let's see ... According to NBA.com's stats, Denver (at the highest altitude, the 7th fastest pace, and a relatively deep team) had a -7.5/100-possessions point differential in the fourth quarter at home, but positive point differentials every other quarter. I don't think running teams out of the building is a reliable strategy at the NBA level.

That's the thing though. Pace isn't dictated by running, its dictated by how many possessions you play, which has more to do with how quickly you shoot.

Are we sure running up the floor and forcing a bad shot is as taxing as say running up the floor, forcing a team to play transition D, then running half court offense which forces a team to defend through screens and action?

why are you wasting your time?

Let's see ... According to NBA.com's stats, Denver (at the highest altitude, the 7th fastest pace, and a relatively deep team) had a -7.5/100-possessions point differential in the fourth quarter at home, but positive point differentials every other quarter. I don't think running teams out of the building is a reliable strategy at the NBA level.

why are you wasting your time?

nateboz's head just exploded.

Do U reAlLy meAn dAt pACe is mEAsurEd bY PoSSeSions uSeD? wHeRE dID U finD tHIs iNFO? lINk?

I voted middle of the pack. I say that because I think that we are going to get a lot of deflections on this team which will lead to fast breaks. I also think that Rubio's passing will be key. The lack of an all star SF means that we will have less possessions watching Hayward get isolation plays with no movement. We will have to get a lot of our points on transition off of defensive execution and we have the length to do it.

Our pace was often slow because we always waited until late in the shot clock expecting Hayward to bail us out. Players weren't aggressively looking to score, but this year they will have to be.

Also, Hill didn't make killer passes. He more facilitated a motion offense. It was mostly just passing around the perimeter. I think Rubio's ability to make that 'killer pass' will improve that precision. Finally, I recall Dennis Lindsey saying that a faster pace benefits Hood and Ingles games.

I think people that don't play don't quite realize that it is much harder to fight through screens, stay in a defensive position, and close out to shooters and try to cover is much harder than just running up and down the court.

These are the body blows that take its toll over the game... combined with having to work to score on the other end and it is clear to me that making opposing teams defend longer is the right strategy. Not sexy, but effective. It is also much closer to how the playoffs are played.

I think people that don't play don't quite realize that it is much harder to fight through screens, stay in a defensive position, and close out to shooters and try to cover is much harder than just running up and down the court.

These are the body blows that take its toll over the game... combined with having to work to score on the other end and it is clear to me that making opposing teams defend longer is the right strategy. Not sexy, but effective. It is also much closer to how the playoffs are played.

I think it's sexy AF

Good post but I do think that buckets are often easier (and free throws more easily earned) to convert on in transition before the defense is set so I think running more could be a good thing too.