What's new

Preference for final roster move for the Jazz (poll)

Which move would you make (can choose up to 3)?

• Bogdanovic for Eric Gordon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bogdanovic & Azubuike for Eric Gordon & Jae'Sean Tate

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Ingles for Josh Hart

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Azubuike (+2nd round pick perhaps?) for Kenrich Williams

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Sign Kris Dunn, cut Oni

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Sign Dante Exum, cut Oni

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Sign James Ennis, Cut Oni

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Sign Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, cut Oni

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Ingles for Larry Nance Jr & CJ Elleby, plus cut Oni

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Keep who we have

Votes: 19 51.4%

• Total voters
I would say Josh Hart and a at least one first...but I agree that is too ambiguous. I'll accept some responsibility there. "At least one first" could very easily be mistaken for a 2nd round pick.
Boy oh boy, you are still sore. Sorry to see that.

And, yeah, there’s plenty of ambiguity there. Care to clear any of that up?

Boy oh boy, you are still sore. Sorry to see that.

And, yeah, there’s plenty of ambiguity there. Care to clear any of that up?

Will it make you happy if I tell you that I am very upset about this? It was really funny when you got caught making things up out of thin air, but it's run it course and I don't care anymore.

When I said at least one first, I meant at least one first round pick. One 1st and 2nd would meet that criteria. A second round pick would not meet the criteria because it's less than a 1st. The Pelicans have several first round picks available for trade. So you in a straight up trade with New Orleans, it would be Hart and at least one of those firsts. Hope that clears up some of the ambiguity.

Oni is bright, articulate, he is into politics and may be able to talk through controversial issues or is someone sympathetic to talk to - that is a huge value.

Sign Dunn and cut Oni. What’s the argument against this? The only argument is a hypothetical one (“what about _____’s minutes?”)

But if it were me, I’d make all of these moves…

Sign Dunn, cut Oni.
Trade Udoka into cap space, sign Aminu.
Trade Hughes into cap space, sign RHJ.

Have 14 guys who can soak up NBA minutes. If you combine the potential benefits of Oni, Udoka and Hughes, would that even exceed the potential benefits of any of the three former guys by themselves?
pfft.... knew there was someone I was forgetting to add to the poll (Aminu).

I would probably do the Azubuike/Kenrich Williams deal.
I might also look at James Ennis to replace Miye Oni, though there's some value in Oni knowing the system and being comfortable with his role.

I wouldn't trade Bogey unless Bogey + protected pick could get me a real impact player. Eric Gordon is pretty washed. I'd keep tabs on Jerami Grant and maybe Jonathan Isaac if he can come back from his injuries.
Though Gordon is shooting great from 3 this year

I've been an Oni hater from way back, but the one thing we geniuses on this board don't know is if he is a positive locker room presence or not. It might be that cutting him might upset everyone on the team.
Like a puppy!

Will it make you happy if I tell you that I am very upset about this? It was really funny when you got caught making things up out of thin air, but it's run it course and I don't care anymore.

When I said at least one first, I meant at least one first round pick. One 1st and 2nd would meet that criteria. A second round pick would not meet the criteria because it's less than a 1st. The Pelicans have several first round picks available for trade. So you in a straight up trade with New Orleans, it would be Hart and at least one of those firsts. Hope that clears up some of the ambiguity.
I think it’s pretty strange that you refuse to give a straight-up, unambiguous proposal. On jazzfanz. It seems that you have a weird amount of personal feelings on the line.

But let’s roll with the minimum proposal here: Bogdanovic for Hart + 1st + 2nd.

Correct me if I’m wrong here, but you seem to also think:

1. This gives us a better chance of winning a championship this year

2. It would be a haul that would stand as an example of taking advantage of a vulnerable franchise

Is this correct?

I think it’s pretty strange that you refuse to give a straight-up, unambiguous proposal. On jazzfanz. It seems that you have a weird amount of personal feelings on the line.

But let’s roll with the minimum proposal here: Bogdanovic for Hart + 1st + 2nd.

Correct me if I’m wrong here, but you seem to also think:

1. This gives us a better chance of winning a championship this year

2. It would be a haul that would stand as an example of taking advantage of a vulnerable franchise

Is this correct?

1. Yes.

2. No. I think NOP is vulnerable to making a bad trade, but I don't consider that to be a fleecing. Based on the haul that similar level players got, I think that package would be market value for Clarkson/Bogey. I wouldn't make that trade if I was NOP if that's what you mean. Wrong direction for them.

Last edited:
1. Yes.

2. No. I think NOP is vulnerable to making a bad trade, but I don't consider that to be a fleecing. Based on the haul that similar level players got, I think that package would be market value for Clarkson/Bogey. I wouldn't make that trade if I was NOP if that's what you mean. Wrong direction for them.
Gonna have to disagree with you on #1. And not by a small margin.

Glad to hear you say that on #2. I don’t see how we can take on Hart in a “take advantage move” due to salaries. Which is why that whole point has made zero sense to me. It also lent an even stronger air to the “abstract thinking” you seemed to have been engaging in.

Last edited:
This franchise has an aversion to signing guys in the 6’5 to 6’8 range that aren’t unathletic dinosaurs. We have a Ferrari and Porsche at the two guard spots and a Range Rover in the post. And then on the wings we have a Honda CRV and Toyota Highlander.

I like Joe and Bogey, but they’re going to prevent the Rudy/Don build from ever winning a title.

We've known for years now that perimeter D was our Achilles heel. We did nothing to address it. No idea what's going on in those discussions. I can't imagine they are just blind to it. I know it's a balance of risk factors, but when conducting a root cause analysis, you have to go with the high bar on the Pareto chart. For us, for years, that has been, and still is, perimeter D. What are we all missing that the FO sees, or vice versa? I get that right now there isn't much we can do to address this without just blowing more assets, I just wonder why it appears this has never been a priority for them. Even take when we were going after Conley. They ignored a few other solid pieces that addressed more than one need in their tunnel-vision chase after Conley, which didn't even fill one need for us as much as create redundancy. I guess we'll never know. I'm afraid this is going to go down as the era of "if only we had that athletic wing defender" discussions for why the Mitchell-Gobert teams couldn't get over the hump. And it sucks to see it and see nothing done about it.

None of those trades really moves the needle. Sure cutting Oni and adding Kris Dunn sounds good on paper, but when you have an OCD coach that can't even find time for the MVP of the NCAA finals Championship Bears when the team is shorthanded and spent on the back-end of a back to back, what's the use? For all its' promise and appeal, this team is beginning to look more and more like "fools' gold" the way it is currently constructed. A rookie is not supposed to take over the game against veterans like last night. Same thing happened in the playoffs last year with Mann. Therefore, I propose we trade Don and Jordan for Simmons, Curry and an unprotected First and then pray for a coaching change for allowing such an audacious move and failing to once again get past the second round. Hire Kenny Atkinson and watch us win it all!!!!

Puts on flame retardant hazmat!!!

Last edited:
To add to Dunn I would say bringing in Langston Galloway would be another guy to look at. Oni is really behind Forrest, Butler, and maybe even Hughes (I'd personally give him burn before Oni). If you can't dribble or pass at all you need to be a sharp shooter and good defender. I know he isn't a sharp shooter and he fouls too much on defense.

If we are going to bench Butler I'd rather give Galloway the playing time than Forrest. Maybe Forrest works better when JC is making shots and we play Rudy Gay instead of Paschall because there will be more shooting.

Maybe I'm wrong and he's in perfect shape and ready to play. The more I read about Dunn this summer, the more concerned I got about his health. That situation did not sound good and it wasn't a good sign that there seemed to be no interest around the league for him.

I think all of our younger guys are better bets than Dunn or Aminu. If we really don't believe in one our young guys, I'd actually prefer a random Rayjon Tucker type who we've never heard of or has never gotten a chance.

In hindsight, the defensive guard we should have taken a look at is Gary Payton II. He isn't exactly young and has had a few opportunities in the past, but he finally got the right situation and opportunity to excel in. GSW got another nice rotation player in a similar fashion with JTA. I think you're best off taking a chance on the unproven guys and/or younger players you've been developing for a specific role. Veteran player who's been injured and everyone has given up on would be lower on my priority. I think this is especially the case when you're looking at defensive players who rely on their body and athleticism more.