What's new

Pretty good write up on Rodney Hood

Versatile simply means ability to defend different positions/styles. It doesn't necessarily mean he's an above average defender.

Yeah, but versatile would suggest that the player is at least average at guarding the positions he was asked to defend, and Hood wasn't in college. It's not like he played PF out of a luxury, they did it because they had no capable big men that year.

I mean, if you ask Trey Burke to guard SG's and SF's that doesnt automatically make him a versatile defender.

Versatile simply means ability to defend different positions/styles. It doesn't necessarily mean he's an above average defender.
If he's not good at guarding those positions, however, then it hardly qualifies as being versatile. Who would ever say a player is simultaneously a bad defender and a versatile one?

"His ability to poorly defend multiple positions is astounding; you might even say he's a versatile defender."

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Yep sure do.. I think Buddy Hield is going be a starter and borderline allstar. Don't se Hood as that type of player...You might want to check into Buddy Hield a little more. This kid is a gym rat with a work ethic second to none. I thought you Jazz fans loved gym rats with an incredible work ethic since your best player ever was this way, Stockton. You are sleeping on Buddy Hield big time.. Lon Kruger also has a GREAT eye for talent. I saw this first hand when he was coaching the Illini. He also preaches good defense or you wont be on the floor. So Buddy is going be NBA ready when he steps into the league.. Seriously go find out more info about Buddy instead of just watching highlight videos. If you knew this kids work ethic and drive you wouldn't be sleeping on him.. Funny that you can say Hood can still improve but Buddy cannot.. Heck Buddy Hields college career accomplished way mopre then Hood ever did. Hood had to transfer because he couldn't be the man, He was a role player... I am going laugh when a team like the Nuggets draft Buddy and watch him destroy the Jazz for years. Betetr yet I hope the Jazz draft him so I can hear all the whiny from Jazz fans after the draft and then when season starts and he shows what he can do ill hear how he is a stud and the steal of the draft

And pray tell - what did you think of Buddy last year? You certainly weren't hyping him as a lottery pick, so don't even start with that.. IIRC I thought Hield was a borderline 1st round pick, and IIRC that was pretty high vs the consensus, who mostly had him in the 2nd, until he withdrew -- I thought he'd stay in the draft being born in 1993, he certainly made a fortiutious move returning for his senior season, It could pay dividends for OU in the form of 5-star recruits down the line too...

Also I had Oklahoma as one of the best teams in the country preseason, I think I had them 5th or 6th, when many had them outside of the top-10.

Buddy Hield makes me nervous for the simple fact of how many fans have become smitten with his game, in such a short span of time, seems like a classic case of Hype-nitis.

Buddy's snatched the spotlight, so now we'll see what he does with it. I've been bumping him up the mocks accordingly, I'm not going to put him in the top-10 though, that seems like a leap of faith at this point, there's still plenty of time to gather info on him.

If he's not good at guarding those positions, however, then it hardly qualifies as being versatile. Who would ever say a player is simultaneously a bad defender and a versatile one?

"His ability to poorly defend multiple positions is astounding; you might even say he's a versatile defender."

True. But if he's just an average defender, who can defend several positions, then he can be called versatile. Hood is not a bad defender.

True. But if he's just an average defender, who can defend several positions, then he can be called versatile. Hood is not a bad defender.
He was in college, though. If you go back and watch the pre-draft DX scouting report, they show clips of his poor defensive stance.

We have one Miss. St fan and one Duke fan on this board (the two colleges Hood played at) and both thought he was a bad collegiate defender.

His defense has improved--that's all that really matters. But I do agree with Cy that the article is wrong in painting Hood's defense in a positive light (before reaching the NBA).

He was in college, though. If you go back and watch the pre-draft DX scouting report, they show clips of his poor defensive stance.

We have one Miss. St fan and one Duke fan on this board (the two colleges Hood played at) and both thought he was a bad collegiate defender.

His defense has improved--that's all that really matters. But I do agree with Cy that the article is wrong in painting Hood's defense in a positive light (before reaching the NBA).

Fair enough.

So some of you bash Buddy Hield because of his age but Hood was a steal in the draft even though he was older also? whats sense does this make really?
You truly are a dumb****

Nah, he was actually a good defender at MSU. I doubt anyone scouted him there though. He wasnt even on draft sites radar back then.

So this is a thread about how Hood is one of the best in his draft class and jazzfanz is caught up on one line of the article about it saying Hood was a versatile defender. LOL

Anyone who thinks Rodney Hood was a viable defender at 4 in college wasn't watching too closely, they could outscore teams easily with that lineup and cause all sorts of mismatches, so they did, it was far from some defensive adjustment though..

If were nitpicking the article, the one thing that stands out to me more than the versatile defender ish, is when the writer called him lanky.. He's 6'8" with a 6'8" wingspan, to call him lanky (for NBA standards), is a bit of a stretch.

Yes, nitpicking.
Love the Jazz' length (when healthy). Having a 6'6" PG and 6'8" SG is huge. While Favors and Hayward aren't really big for their positions, they're not going to be overpowered, either. And Gobert, of course, in the middle.

Yes, nitpicking.
Love the Jazz' length (when healthy). Having a 6'6" PG and 6'8" SG is huge. While Favors and Hayward aren't really big for their positions, they're not going to be overpowered, either. And Gobert, of course, in the middle.

It was certainly on full display last night. E'Twaun Moore, who's 6'4" ish and started at SF for the Bulls did manage to block Hood on an Iso pull up late in the game though, might've been a foul, ya don't see that much though..

Yep, one reason I don't think the Jazz will get Teague is that I think they really want big PG's so they can switch them on anybody.
Neto is only 6'1", I believe. So only 1 big PG on the roster. With the way Ingles is passing, maybe he's the 3rd PG we need, especially with Burks back in 3 weeks (hopefully) and the return of the 3-wing lineup? DL can certainly play hardball. If Atlanta wants to make a trade for minimal assets, he'll be willing; otherwise he can say the Jazz' biggest acquisition will be getting Burks back (deja vu, all over again!).

Yep, one reason I don't think the Jazz will get Teague is that I think they really want big PG's so they can switch them on anybody.
If it's a Teague/Burke swap, then it's not like we'll be getting smaller.

He couldnt guard in college tho.

Only part I dont like so far is the first few paragraphs it says Hood was a "versatile defender". Wasn't he known as a crap defender coming out of college? I mean, a lot of that was probably playing PF while Parker played center, but it's not like he was lauded for his defensive potential.

Yeah, but versatile would suggest that the player is at least average at guarding the positions he was asked to defend, and Hood wasn't in college. It's not like he played PF out of a luxury, they did it because they had no capable big men that year.

I mean, if you ask Trey Burke to guard SG's and SF's that doesnt automatically make him a versatile defender.

I'm not claiming to be an expert but I also don't believe I get caught up in this type of hype (good or bad). So with that said I know those things were being said here on JF non stop the night the Jazz drafted and I think most of that honestly came because as a team Duke wasn't the normal good Duke defense and some how that ended up equaling Hood's fault and he's a terrible defender. However all I ever heard about him (again heard I'm no expert) is that Duke would usually put him on the other teams best defensive player usually a wing (SG, SF or PF) and so to me when I hear that it means those players may sometimes make you look bad but that you take defense seriously and like the challenge (even though Hood isn't a super athlete) so I was excited and so far in his NBA career he's made young player mistakes and fouls but is NOT a liability on D so that makes him a 2 way player to me.