What's new

Protestors storm capital

I just can't fathom why anyone would want Trump back - it was an embarrassing four years for the country and I'd like to think we don't have the mind of a goldfish. We are very fortunate that January 6th wasn't worse.

If you're not a fan of Biden, and nobody would blame if you weren't, are we not capable of electing somebody who isn't on the wrong side of the average life expectancy? Can we actually get some new ideas and fresh blood? Why on earth would we run it back with the same group of has-beens?

If that's D, fine. R? Fine. Let's elect the best candidate regardless of the letter by their name, but good lord, a Biden vs. Trump rematch in 2024 is worse than somehow thinking a Jake Paul vs. Tyron Woodley is somehow telling us who the best fighter in the world is.

I just can't fathom why anyone would want Trump back - it was an embarrassing four years for the country and I'd like to think we don't have the mind of a goldfish. We are very fortunate that January 6th wasn't worse.

If you're not a fan of Biden, and nobody would blame if you weren't, are we not capable of electing somebody who isn't on the wrong side of the average life expectancy? Can we actually get some new ideas and fresh blood? Why on earth would we run it back with the same group of has-beens?

If that's D, fine. R? Fine. Let's elect the best candidate regardless of the letter by their name, but good lord, a Biden vs. Trump rematch in 2024 is worse than somehow thinking a Jake Paul vs. Tyron Woodley is somehow telling us who the best fighter in the world is.
Obama was pretty young. The backlash to a young black man was... Well Trump.

The reason why Biden won was because he was seen as a safe Obama supported pick who could beat Trump. There were plenty of candidates to choose from. Mayor Pete? Too gay. Kamala? Too black. Bernie? Too old and Jewish. Warren? Too smart.

We can bitch all we want about getting young and diverse candidates. But that won't matter if they're going up against an old white demagogue who receives overwhelming support from whites. The issue isn't with Biden; the issue is with the electorate. The electorate doesn't even know it wants tbh.

Hey we are only 3 weeks away from the 1st Anniversary of the attempted destruction of democracy in our country. And the trials are still ongoing.

Of the 50-plus defendants who have been sentenced for their role in the January 6 attack on the US Capitol, fewer than half were sent to jail for their crimes. Most received an assortment of lesser penalties, including brief terms of house arrest, a couple years of probation, four-figure fines or court-ordered community service, according to a CNN analysis.

Her full statement….

I don’t like this at all. The cavalier way Constitutional rights are being disposed with makes me deeply uneasy.

Liz Cheney said Mark Meadows had declared Executive and “other” privileges. That “other” privilege is the Fifth Amendment rights that all Americans have. Liz Cheney specifically cites Jeffery Clark refusing to testify on Fifth Amendment grounds and they voted to hold him in contempt on December 1st.

In this 9 minute monologue, Liz Cheney gives no reason why Mark Meadows does not have Fifth Amendment protections. She reads off a litany of sins that Trump has done as if that strips the Constitutional protections of anyone near him. It doesn’t. That isn’t how Constitutional protections work. This panel has effectively declared themselves above the law and that should worry the crap out of everyone despite it being used today against someone you may not like.

A similar thing is being done with Steve Bannon, who is one of the scummiest dirtbags to ever crawl the Earth. His trial is being conducted in total darkness with bizarre evidentiary rules that allow lawyers to see evidence but not have evidence. The prosecution is supposed to show documents to the defense lawyers but the defense lawyers are not allowed to have a copy. The defense lawyers are even limited in what notes they can write about the evidence they are shown.

I would never defend Mark Meadows, or Jeffery Clark, and wouldn’t urinate on Steve Bannon if he were on fire, but WTF?!?! This is wrong. I don’t care how awful Trump was, our government should not do this to American citizens. If they committed a crime then charge them and give them their day in court in front of a jury of their peers.

I don’t like this at all. The cavalier way Constitutional rights are being disposed with makes me deeply uneasy.

Liz Cheney said Mark Meadows had declared Executive and “other” privileges. That “other” privilege is the Fifth Amendment rights that all Americans have.
One that you have to sit before the committee to claim in response to specific questions. This right does not let you refuse to respond to a subpoena.

When your administration, news buddy cronies, conservative tweet-leachers and even your son think you've gone too far, chances are pretty good you ****ed up.

Clinton attempted to invoke Executive Privilege to stop his staff from testifying in the Monika Lewinski investigation. He was overruled in court and his staff had to testify to find out about what sort of hank panky the POTUS got up to in the Oval Office.

Executive Privilege is not absolute. It is supposed to protect the U.S. national security and to maintain a separation of powers between the Executive branch and Legislative branch.

Nixon attempted to block the release of the tapes that lead to his resignation. He failed.

The Supreme Court stated: "To read the Article II powers of the president as providing an absolute privilege as against a subpoena essential to enforcement of criminal statutes on no more than a generalized claim of the public interest in confidentiality of nonmilitary and nondiplomatic discussions would upset the constitutional balance of 'a workable government' and gravely impair the role of the courts under Article III." Because Nixon had asserted only a generalized need for confidentiality, the Court held that the larger public interest in obtaining the truth in the context of a criminal prosecution took precedence.

If both of those cases resulted in the Executive Branch providing the requested information then I can only assume that the Jan. 6th insurrection case would be a slam dunk for those seeking the information. One case was in regard to a burglary, the other had to do with a BJ. This is a case where the POTUS was complicit, I would even say directing and encouraging, the overthrow of our democratic process. It is by far the most serious offence of the bunch and the President has no conceivable justification to keep those records protected, as has been determined by a few lower courts already. The only stop left, if they choose to take it on, is the SCOTUS. Even being a conservative court, I bet they order the records released.

No violation of the Constitution is at risk of taking place.

if Americans are willing to empower the party and president that gave you this less than one year ago all over milk being slightly more expensive, then we deserve everything we get. And I don’t want to ever hear America and democracy in the same sentence.

Clinton attempted to invoke Executive Privilege to stop his staff from testifying in the Monika Lewinski investigation. He was overruled in court
Nixon attempted to block the release of the tapes that lead to his resignation. ... The Supreme Court stated...
If both of those cases resulted in the Executive Branch providing the requested information then I can only assume that the Jan. 6th insurrection case would be a slam dunk for those seeking the information.
Maybe you are correct but we can only assume because unlike the oversight committees for Clinton and Nixon, this committee didn't bother with the court before moving to criminal proceedings. In a move unprecedented in American history AFAIK, this Congress has declared themselves the arbiters over what is and is not covered by executive or fifth amendment privileges.

LOL.

I think the fact that Republicans in Congress, Republicans from Fox News, and Donald's own son were pleading with Meadows to get Trump to end the Jan 6 insurrection blow up the GOP talking points we've been fed for almost one year:

1. "aNtIfA!"- If ANTIFA had actually instigated Jan 6, why would Republicans want Trump to stop it? I remember @One Brow arguing with @jazzy and @Archie Moses about Ali Alexander and how ANTIFA instigated Jan 6. If so, why would Frau Ingraham say this?

Why would propaganda minister Brian Kilmeade say this?

Why would Sean Hannity say this?

2. Jan 6 was merely a rally about election integrity that got out of hand- The most laughable of all. Trump said this:

And further said:

Wasn't involved? Why was everyone texting you? Nothing to hide? Well you and your cohorts sure went to great lengths to hide these texts. It's noticeable that Laura said this about Jan 6 on her show later in the evening:

Why would she blame antifa? She wouldn't be covering something up, would she?

3. Jan 6 was actually a heroic day- Trump Jr. to Meadows:

If this day is so heroic, why didn't Hannity ask Meadows about it last night when he had him on the show?

You're an illiterate moron with a **** memory.

More news about that anti fascist dude John Sullivan.

35k is a lot of money but was it worth the charges?

30 pieces of silver or something like that.
Sure Archie, my memory is the one that sucks.

Sullivan isn’t antifa. But Archie sure seems dedicated to blaming antifa at least partially for Jan 6…

John Sullivan isn’t antifa.

What position did I take, you clown?

I posted about how bizarre it was a Utah Antifa guy was actually dressed up like a Trumper and stormed the Capitol so you automatically short circuit and think that's a position and I'm alt right?

You're so dumb it's gawd damn adorable.
“bUt AnTiFa!”

Why the hell are we even talking about antifa in this thread anyway? It’s just pathetic.