What's new

Question for Jazzfanz about Burks

hawkeye

I have been extremely excited about this offseason, and what possible free agents we could bring in. Most of the guys we have been drooling over (Green, Butler, Leonard, Middleton) are in their 3rd, 4th, or 5th years (also, couple drinks in and too lazy to double check that statement). These are all players on the cusp of being much better players.

The question I have is if Alec Burks were on another team, putting up the same numbers he did for us at the beginning of this season (14 ppg, 4 rpg, 3 apg, with shooting percentages of .403, .382, and .822). Where would he fall on our wishlist for off season targets? Lindsey said in the interview with Harpring, that it's easy to forget a guy when he is injured. That got me thinking that he would be up there, albeit the lower tier of targets, but a target nonetheless.

To me he has always been one of the flashiest and athletic players we have. The dude can finish at the rim with ease, and he is a stud when it comes to driving. Not to mention his improved 3pt shot this year and ability to handle the ball and pass. Is it crazy for me to think that he could make a huge improvement in the next couple years, much like Butler made this year?

I have been extremely excited about this offseason, and what possible free agents we could bring in. Most of the guys we have been drooling over (Green, Butler, Leonard, Middleton) are in their 3rd, 4th, or 5th years (also, couple drinks in and too lazy to double check that statement). These are all players on the cusp of being much better players.

The question I have is if Alec Burks were on another team, putting up the same numbers he did for us at the beginning of this season (14 ppg, 4 rpg, 3 apg, with shooting percentages of .403, .382, and .822). Where would he fall on our wishlist for off season targets? Lindsey said in the interview with Harpring, that it's easy to forget a guy when he is injured. That got me thinking that he would be up there, albeit the lower tier of targets, but a target nonetheless.

To me he has always been one of the flashiest and athletic players we have. The dude can finish at the rim with ease, and he is a stud when it comes to driving. Not to mention his improved 3pt shot this year and ability to handle the ball and pass. Is it crazy for me to think that he could make a huge improvement in the next couple years, much like Butler made this year?

I think he will be a great addition to the team. We make the playoffs next year:

Exum/Burke
Matthews/Burks
Hayward/Hood
Favors/Booker
Gobert/our draft pick

Toss in another vet PG, and another wing....this is gonna be the beginning of a wild ride.

Excellent points.
My concern is how he meshes with Hayward. Trey was asked to head up the 2nd unit because he dominates the ball and often left Hayward out of plays. Will Burks be the same kind of player, or can he hang out at the 3PT line and be an effective shooter? I still think Alec is better suited to scoring off the bench. Of course then he plays with Trey and probably never sees the ball.

Great point. He would be below the wing players like kawhi, butler and then wes Matthews, but maybe above Middleton and a few others that have been mentioned. If he played defense though, he would be higher on my list. He has that driving game like none of the others being mentioned do. If he can improve his three point% a little bit and consistently take more threes per game, he could add a new dimension to the Jazz.

I'm not sold on Burks as a starter, but i'd like to have the conversation with other Jazzfanz. Is it possible for a healthy Burks to become an offensive beast for us? Even if his defense isn't the strongest, I think Exum, Hayward, Favors, and Gobert would make up for it. Is it a terrible idea to bring in Carroll instead of a Mathews or Butler. A bench of Burke, Carroll, Hood, Booker is an aggressive bunch if you ask me.

tldnr but this reminds me of something I was wondering about. How much did Alec's agent get for him in a potential snt to take to the Jazz to finalize his deal? What could the Jazz have gotten back and how much was that other team willing to pay Alec? I'm guessing he had something along the lines of $14mm per on the table with some worthwhile assets coming back to Utah in a trade. $14mm because the Jazz get a discount for giving him a contract early and taking the injury risk on themselves.

I'm not sold on Burks as a starter, but i'd like to have the conversation with other Jazzfanz. Is it possible for a healthy Burks to become an offensive beast for us? Even if his defense isn't the strongest, I think Exum, Hayward, Favors, and Gobert would make up for it. Is it a terrible idea to bring in Carroll instead of a Mathews or Butler. A bench of Burke, Carroll, Hood, Booker is an aggressive bunch if you ask me.

I mentioned Carroll as a bench player, but I agree with a poster who responded to me that Carroll probably doesn't leave Atl to be a bench player.

I think Burks will be on our bench next fall. I think our starting SG is either Hayward with Carroll at SF, or our starting SG is currently on another team. Burks is very good, but I have never thought of him as a starter.

I might be in the minority here, but I think what might hold Alec back is his willingness to play within the system. I think his biggest asset is his ability to attack the basket and draw fouls but with that ability comes a lot of opportunities he hasn't been able to capitalize on, fully, to this point.

If he fully buys in instead of focusing on getting his, this team could be the surprise of the league next year.

Burks can be what Burke is right now next year. With Burks, he'll make Burke expendable. We can package him in a deal, get a better pick, a lot of stuff. In the long run, Burks will be the cheaper option as well. We should trade Burke next year, bring Neto over.

You have to think about the starting 5 as a whole. To date our base offense is not focused on any one player. It is a motion offensive that requires skilled and unselfish players. Ideally you want to 3 players on the floor that can effectively run a pick and roll.

I can see Exum in a couple of season being a more aggressive scorer but I think he will always be a pass first sort of guy. Hayward has found the correct balance of scoring and passing. Burks is a bit of an awkward fit. He doesn't provide the spacing of some of his teammates but he is a better slasher. I think Alec could decide to learn how to play that way. I think he might need to watch Monta Ellis film. But it takes a whole team to execute the scheme correctly. Favors/Gobert have to set the screen correctly too.

Not that Hood appears to be right kind of player to fit in this system.

Burks can be what Burke is right now next year. With Burks, he'll make Burke expendable. We can package him in a deal, get a better pick, a lot of stuff. In the long run, Burks will be the cheaper option as well. We should trade Burke next year, bring Neto over.

What? An under-sized PG who's not much of a passer and who likes to jack up one brick after another? Also, nobody is paying Burke 11m+ a year.

I mentioned Carroll as a bench player, but I agree with a poster who responded to me that Carroll probably doesn't leave Atl to be a bench player.

I think Burks will be on our bench next fall. I think our starting SG is either Hayward with Carroll at SF, or our starting SG is currently on another team. Burks is very good, but I have never thought of him as a starter.

I've never thought of him as a starter either. Though i'm starting to think that the reason for that is that's what we have been spoon fed since he joined our team. I've only ever seen him as a 6th man type, and thats what I have been told to expect.

Unleash the beast! I'm going out on a limb, and everyone can hold me to it. I'm betting that Burks is in the running for MIP next year (unless there is a rule I am unaware of, that disqualifies players who were injured the season before).

I might be in the minority here, but I think what might hold Alec back is his willingness to play within the system. I think his biggest asset is his ability to attack the basket and draw fouls but with that ability comes a lot of opportunities he hasn't been able to capitalize on, fully, to this point.

If he fully buys in instead of focusing on getting his, this team could be the surprise of the league next year.
think you are saying that his not buying into the system is holding him back, is that correct? If so, I think so too. I think he will realize that quin is a basketball genius and will use Alec's strengths in the system if he buys into it. Alec can be a pretty good team defender in this current system. And if people have to guard him on the perimeter due to drives or three point shooting, he could add a nice wrinkle to the offensive system.

What? An under-sized PG who's not much of a passer and who likes to jack up one brick after another? Also, nobody is paying Burke 11m+ a year.

Yeah, Burke is not as good as alec. I bet Burke gets like $5 mil per on his next contract.

think you are saying that his not buying into the system is holding him back, is that correct? If so, I think so too. I think he will realize that quin is a basketball genius and will use Alec's strengths in the system if he buys into it. Alec can be a pretty good team defender in this current system. And if people have to guard him on the perimeter due to drives or three point shooting, he could add a nice wrinkle to the offensive system.

Basically, yes.

I'm willing to give him time on buying into the system. The only "system" he has ever known is coach Corbin's Clusterf**k offense. Quin is going to do great things with Burks.

Lots of good posts/discussion.
Only thing I disagree with is the posts from bline and bhodi saying he doesn't play in the system.

That's just bs

I think he will be a great addition to the team. We make the playoffs next year:

Exum/Burke
Matthews/Burks
Hayward/Hood
Favors/Booker
Gobert/our draft pick

Toss in another vet PG, and another wing....this is gonna be the beginning of a wild ride.

Not convinced that we'll draft a center. It's possible, but I think it's likely that we'll bring over one of our Spanish-league assets as the center off the bench. All about who is BPA where we're drafting (which includes the possibility of moving up.) If we do move up, though, I'm betting it's for Russell or Stanley. Just have a hunch.

As far as playoffs, whether or not we're able to get there next year, in my mind, depends almost entirely on Dante Exum's summer. PGs usually make their jump between year 2 and year 3, but sometimes between year 1 and 2. If Dante can take a big step this summer in his strength, conditioning, and pull up shooting, we have the potential to be very, very good.

I'm convinced that if we are going to contend the future is:

Gobert(c)
Favors(pf)
Hayward(sf)

Superstar(sg)
maybe exum(pg)
or
Maybe Burks(sg) super mario?
superstar(pg)

Since our front court is set we need to double down at the 1 & 2 see who steps up. (sell Burke it ain't him)

either rock it in the draft or Maybe we can get a guy through a trade

I wouldn't blame DL for going all in the draft to move up and get mudiay even if it doesn't work out

option 2 draft super mario look to trade for pg / draft in 2016