What's new

Question for Jazzfanz about Burks

That being said, I'm a believer in Burks. I think he can be sixth man of the year. He could be huge for us as a bench player.

So, if the Jazz add a max player, the question is where?

It's not at the 4 or 5.
With Exum as a top 5 pick, it's probably not at the 1.
That means they will look to get a wing player and have Hayward start alongside the new max guy. Their "Reggie White".

That doesn't sound like DL and QS have Burks predetermined to be their starter.

" That doesn't sound like DL and QS have Burks predetermined to be their starter."

What did DL and QS say that makes you believe this? You just posted some of your opinions and then said that means they don't want him to be thier starter. (You may be right, but you are simply guessing based of your own projections)

As for my thoughts on Burks...... I have seen him add facets to his offensive game every year (career high 3pt percentage this year on a career high number of attempts, career high free throw percentage, career high assists) added a fantastic euro step last season along with a spin move.
This year he was moving the ball well in the offense, spotting up more for threes, and taking less shots per game than some of the other starters despite being second on the team in minutes.

Offensively he is becoming very well rounded and I think he could get to an elite level.

His defense is basically horrible still and he has alot of work to do on that end. Hopefully that will be what he adds to his have for next season and snyder can get the most defense out of him.
Playing with better defensive teammates should help.

The success of Alec's stint with this jazz team hinges on whether he can be a plus defender.

If he never develops good perimeter defense skills, he will not be able to start. There is no reason that Joe ****ing Ingles should be a better defender than him. But this year, Alec never really played very good D (to my recollection). He looked average, at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looking at defensive win shares per minute, they are acutally about equal, however, alec's offensive win share rate is about 5 times better than joe ingles.

looking at defensive win shares per minute, they are acutally about equal, however, alec's offensive win share rate is about 5 times better than joe ingles.
I'm a bit surprised. My eyes tell me that Alec is horrible defensively. Of course being compared to joe ingles probably helps

So, if the Jazz add a max player, the question is where?

It's not at the 4 or 5.
With Exum as a top 5 pick, it's probably not at the 1.
That means they will look to get a wing player and have Hayward start alongside the new max guy. Their "Reggie White".

That doesn't sound like DL and QS have Burks predetermined to be their starter.
Fish mentioned it too, but get back to me when DL or Quin says they are gong to give the max to a wing. In fact DL implied the exact opposite of that plan last night.

Whoa. Flashbacks here. I remember when I used to argue that Brewer was not a starting player on a title team, and would get very similar responses back.

I'll say what I said back then:

I hope you guys are right about Burks. I think he will be an amazing 6th man.

Also, DL has said that he thinks we can get a Reggie White to come to Utah. Reggie White comes with a max deal. You wouldn't bring a White in to create a log jam.

Right now, we are set at PG, one wing, PF and C. The logical thought is that if DL wants to find a Reggie White, and just created cap space to sign a Reggie White, and DL has talked about players he likes, then he will try to sign a White.

Where would a max guy fit? Well, we have a max at SF, we have a near max at PF, and you are planning on having maxes at C and PG.

Burks is the odd man out.

Anyhow, that's how I see it.

The thing I find most interesting about Burks is that he actually had a pretty efficient season last year and this year he was down enough to where it was confusing. Maybe he needed more time to learn Quin's system. Last year his true shooting percentage was very good at nearly .550.
https://m.bkref.com/m?p=XXplayersXXbXXburksal01.html&t=4

I have high hopes that burks will be able to figure things out and improve and become a nice addition to the team.

Who is Reggie white?

Reggie White was probably the best defensive end ever in football. He played for the Philadelphia Eagles (large market). He became a free agent, left Philly and signed with Green Bay, the smallest market in professional sports.

Lindsey's point was, if we can build a good foundation, we would be able to get free agents here.

Ultimately it doesn't matter what any of us think. Snyder and DL are completely sold on him. DL brought him up on his own despite Boler and Harpring not even asking about him (lol, dumbasses) and said he would be the team's biggest off season acquisition. You can tell DL loves Burks every time he talks about him and even when he's not being discussed, DL forces it. In terms of Quin, Burks has been penciled in firmly as a starter since the day QS was hired.

I think the one thing Quin and DL understand that the rest of us don't is just how bad that shoulder had been bothering Burks and just for how long. They get how special a healthy Alec Burks can be.

Matthews sounds nice to us fans, but I'm afraid Burks is the guy DL and Quin are looking at to lead the Jazz at SG for years to come.

My read isn't that DL and Quin are necessarily sold on Burks, but that they are showing excellant management skills by making an injured player feel like he is still a member of the team and keeping him motivated through the rehab process. It's also job protection 101 by reminding everyone that key players are injured, so that's why we are not winning as many games as some would like.

Reggie White was probably the best defensive end ever in football. He played for the Philadelphia Eagles (large market). He became a free agent, left Philly and signed with Green Bay, the smallest market in professional sports.

Lindsey's point was, if we can build a good foundation, we would be able to get free agents here.

Who's a potential Reggie White this Summer for us though? Most of the available talents seem to be RFA.

There's no Reggie White out there but the closest comp who we'd have any kind of a shot at, and it's less than minuscule in my estimation, is Jimmy Butler.

Who's a potential Reggie White this Summer for us though? Most of the available talents seem to be RFA.

Well, 1) GB offered him the most money and 2) He said God told him to go to Green Bay.

So, we're looking for a religious fanatic who speaks to a Higher Power and we have to pay him the most money.

i see Burks being the starter, he brings some complimentary skills to mesh with the other starters, plus I just can't see there being enough shots for him and Trey off the bench ??
He sure needs to pick up his D though

I think we keep Burks where he's at, in the starting 5. He obviously needs to pick up his defensive game. I think we need to remember that its not always about having a star player in your starting 5. Sometimes its all about having the right talent coming off your bench. The Jazz are a low market, and low budget team. It doesn't mean that we can't be successful but it does mean that it will be harder for us to do. We man not have the luxury of signing a max player even though we have man money to work with. We may just need to build and/or upgrade our bench with our availible $$. If we build the bench we will be successful and not in a financial bind because of 1 or 2 contracts.

Right now, we are set at PG,

not having an nba quality player at point guard means we are set at point guard?
Interesting take