What's new

Question Regarding Politics and Religion

RandyForRubio

I figured why not combine two hot topics that get everybody heated, generate some real uproar. But seriously, I'd like this to be a discussion without reading insults, of which I am guilty. Basically, act like Siro and Colton, not like Dutch and Thriller.

A lot of people here are religious, some are not at all. I think this applies to any and all groups, whether a fundamentalist or a loose rules kind of person.

Are we ok with people whom we have theological differences with, having rule and dominion politically over us? As in, as a fundamental Christian, am I ok with having a Muslim as my senator? Or an atheist as my president? And same goes the other way. Would somebody's belief system, and solely their belief system, impair you from voting for them?

I ask partially because of Bernie essentially saying that a fundamental Christian should not be approved because of his religious beliefs, but more from a principal standpoint on where we should stand on this. At what points are a persons beliefs too extreme for office? I would really prefer to avoid the typical Dem/Con hissy fits that happen here (that I am guilty of), and just talk about the principals. And I don't want to make this about Bernie either. His reaction just made me think about this topic, and I figured it would make for a good discussion.

I don't care what religion my president is at all.
Makes no difference to me whatsoever.

I hate trump. Have no idea what religion he is or if he is even religious. (Anyone know?)

I mostly look for a president who seems intelligent, classy, well spoken, caring, and confident. (Reasons I liked obama and hated george w and hate trump)

I hate trump. Have no idea what religion he is or if he is even religious. (Anyone know?)

I mostly look for a president who seems intelligent, classy, well spoken, caring, and confident. (Reasons I liked obama and hated george w and hate trump)

Fo real! Conservatives KKK dumbasses shoulda pushed the line that first Muslim president was cool just like JFK first Catholic president!

Tear down these damn walls an STAND UP for American values like Ronald Reagan did!

So much this. Anyone that would consider religion in who they vote for as a main reason...those are the people to be scared of.

Fo real! Conservatives KKK dumbasses shoulda pushed the line that first Muslim president was cool just like JFK first Catholic president!

Tear down these damn walls an STAND UP for American values like Ronald Reagan did!

Holy nonsensical post

I figured why not combine two hot topics that get everybody heated, generate some real uproar. But seriously, I'd like this to be a discussion without reading insults, of which I am guilty. Basically, act like Siro and Colton, not like Dutch and Thriller.

A lot of people here are religious, some are not at all. I think this applies to any and all groups, whether a fundamentalist or a loose rules kind of person.

Are we ok with people whom we have theological differences with, having rule and dominion politically over us? As in, as a fundamental Christian, am I ok with having a Muslim as my senator? Or an atheist as my president? And same goes the other way. Would somebody's belief system, and solely their belief system, impair you from voting for them?

I ask partially because of Bernie essentially saying that a fundamental Christian should not be approved because of his religious beliefs, but more from a principal standpoint on where we should stand on this. At what points are a persons beliefs too extreme for office? I would really prefer to avoid the typical Dem/Con hissy fits that happen here (that I am guilty of), and just talk about the principals. And I don't want to make this about Bernie either. His reaction just made me think about this topic, and I figured it would make for a good discussion.

well imho opinion as a libertarian(borderline anarchic-capitalist)! nobody should rule over another or have dominion over another! a muslim/christian/jew/satanist/budhist should not force laws and regulations on others!

their are reasons why i don't want a Muslim president, senator etc! because majority of Muslims believe in sharia law! and they will shove it down our throats!

just like religion politics should not be forced down 1 throats!

a government derives it just power from the people who voted for it!

if a muslims christians jews mormons or whatever vote for someone that person has no business meddling in my live.

every law that is not based on life,liberty,right to secure property and right to self defense! is illegitimate in my eyes! i do follow to laws, because if i don't my live will be hell!

so in short i don't want certain religious leaders in politics because certain religions are married to certain political ideologies, and having such a person greatly increases the chance, of certain **** shoved down our throats!

tl;dr- so am i ok with people in powerfull govenrment possition if we have theological difference? depends if he wants to make laws forcing me to live his way or not

As long as politicians leave their religion out of their politics I don't mind what their religion is. However many politicians make their religion their main focus of their politics in this country, especially Christians. When a politician tried to force their moral values on others by using political force than I have an issue with them.

I also live in a state that the dominate religion is over represented in politics and have gerrymandered political boundries to maintain that over representation. Also many is the politicians focus on pushing their morals on others and that has no place in politics. Others are great about focusing on the real political issues and leave their morals to their own lives. So far John Curtis has been a good example of the food side of that.

Well that is a loaded question.

In principle yes I am fine with it in a system designed with checks and balances. Most of us have already had a person in a position of political power over us that was not of our religious affiliation. So, with some extreme exceptions, the faith of a person would not negatively impact my opinion of them. The opposite in fact.

Somewhat of an exception to this is that I would look more favorably upon a person of faith, religious denomination is mostly irrelevant, than an atheist. I don't have a negative view of an atheist but I like faith as a general idea.

To me this is more interesting from the standpoint of our representative government. Does an atheist politician represent his constituency if most of them are religious? Can a muslim politician represent a largely Christian populace? Or can one religious sect, that derides another (say southern baptist vs mormons, or something) represent that faction within their constituency?

Also, asking anyone to leave some core facet of their personality out of their decision-making is like asking a white guy to not be white, but only in these certain circumstances. A core belief will ALWAYS influence someone in their decisions, even if only subconsciously, be it religious or whatever.

As long as politicians leave their religion out of their politics I don't mind what their religion is. However many politicians make their religion their main focus of their politics in this country, especially Christians. When a politician tried to force their moral values on others by using political force than I have an issue with them.

I also live in a state that the dominate religion is over represented in politics and have gerrymandered political boundries to maintain that over representation. Also many is the politicians focus on pushing their morals on others and that has no place in politics. Others are great about focusing on the real political issues and leave their morals to their own lives. So far John Curtis has been a good example of the food side of that.

From the other side of the world we view American politics as very religious, personally i find it disturbingly so. Religion has historically played a small part in Australian politics (DLP aside) especially in the last 40 odd years, however there has been an intrusion of a sort of christian right insane bible belt evangelical nonsense recently. Think it comes from people feeling alienated and searching for meaning in something outside of them i got no problem with that, it only really becomes a problem when you think you can tell other people how to live their lives. I got a real problem with that.

To me this is more interesting from the standpoint of our representative government. Does an atheist politician represent his constituency if most of them are religious? Can a muslim politician represent a largely Christian populace? Or can one religious sect, that derides another (say southern baptist vs mormons, or something) represent that faction within their constituency?

Also, asking anyone to leave some core facet of their personality out of their decision-making is like asking a white guy to not be white, but only in these certain circumstances. A core belief will ALWAYS influence someone in their decisions, even if only subconsciously, be it religious or whatever.
If a politician can not represent different view points from their own they are a poor politician.

To me one of the main functions of government is to protect minority groups. The majority and/or groups in power dont need help with their interests.

I firmly believe religion has no place in politics. One of the worst things that has happened in politics is the Christian right taking over the Republican party back in the 50s or so. Since then they have forced both parties to go away from true conservative/liberal view points and focus on moral issues that should not define being conservative/liberal. Those issues are not really something that should be in politics at all let alone the main issues.

Again if a politician can't put aside their religion and morals they don't belong in politics regardless of which side they are on. Governments role isn't to be moral police, particularly in cases where moral choices don't effect others.

A Muslim majority country should not force people to follow their beliefs neither should a Christian majority country.

To me one of the main functions of government is to protect minority groups. The majority and/or groups in power dont need help with their interests.

It's a corner stone of liberal democracies. An essential element of good government

If a politician can not represent different view points from their own they are a poor politician.

I firmly believe religion has no place in politics. One of the worst things that has happened in politics is the Christian right taking over the Republican party back in the 50s or so. Since then they have forced both parties to go away from true conservative/liberal view points and focus on moral issues that should not define being conservative/liberal. Those issues are not really something that should be in politics at all let alone the main issues.

Again if a politician can't put aside their religion and morals they don't belong in politics regardless of which side they are on. Governments role isn't to be moral police, particularly in cases where moral choices don't effect others.

A Muslim majority country should not force people to follow their beliefs neither should a Christian majority country.

But where do you draw the line? People say we can't legislate morality, but how do you not? We legislate murder, theft, rape, minimum wage, what type of healthcare (bc healthcare for all for their health benefit is a moral issue), etc.

But where do you draw the line? People say we can't legislate morality, but how do you not? We legislate murder, theft, rape, minimum wage, what type of healthcare (bc healthcare for all for their health benefit is a moral issue), etc.

Are you arguing against murder, rape and theft being crimes? If so carry on, if not its not really an argument. Healthcare, welfare all these sorts of things are matter of public policy, I don't see them a necessarily religious, they only become so over issues like abortion and euthanasia, which in my humble opinion are personal choices and nobody elses.

As an aside you see all these right to life nutcases carry on about abortions, where were they during anti war protests?

If this is your measuring stick then why hate Bush? He had some of these qualities. To me at least. The biggest hit he would have is being well spoken. There is more than one way to show these attributes.

They are things that I like in a president as well.

For me a good starting point is not viewing it through the morality lens and view it through a lens of "Does this damage someone else?"

Yes there is always a morality aspect to things but that should not be the driving force IMO.

Holy nonsensical post

Forgive Boris for I forget you young pups were not educated in history. You probably do not even know who JFK is let alone that him being a Catholic was a huge deal an moral victory for the Vatican. Oh, excuse me again. The Vatican is the Roman Home an seat of the Catholic faith. JFK got assassinated for being Catholic did you know that?

More recently, President Obama was both the first black person [edited] to become president. I can explain to you youngins that both of those are MORAL VICTORIES that should be celebrated regardless of POLITICAL PERSPECTIVE.

I can hate Obama an still appreciate a country WILLING to finally appoint a black man! What is so hard to understand about that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgive Boris for I forget you young pups were not educated in history. You probably do not even know who JFK is let alone that him being a Catholic was a huge deal an moral victory for the Vatican. Oh, excuse me again. The Vatican is the Roman Home an seat of the Catholic faith. JFK got assassinated for being Catholic did you know that?

More recently, President Obama was both the first black person AND the first Muslim to become president. I can explain to you youngins that both of those are MORAL VICTORIES that should be celebrated regardless of POLITICAL PERSPECTIVE.

I can hate Obama an still appreciate a country WILLING to finally appoint a black man! What is so hard to understand about that?

Your style of communication.