What's new

Question Regarding Politics and Religion

Probably the same place most anti war protestors were during the anti abortion protests.

Other than that nice post lol

killing for the state and terminating a pregnancy are two very different things.

I think I would really really really like george bush to hang out with and go fishing with or something.
I would probably like him more than any other president in history on a personal level.

You hick. I'd party with JFK or maybe Ulysses S Grant, he liked to tie one on, even pants-less Bill seems like a better option.

The Obama is a Muslim also made 0 sense to me.

1. He's not

2. Even if he secretly was, I do not care. It makes 0 difference.

978a8483118d42efaef2957231c11db7.jpeg

6149653ad22c29cf32bd4631f9506850.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

killing for the state and terminating a pregnancy are two very different things.

Strictly true. But not really. If you believe a fetus is a human, since you can protest both things on the same grounds.

A couple of people here seem to think that it is only moral legislation if it is someone else's morality that is being enforced. Theirs is just common sense!

Politics are ALL about moral legislation. Pro-choice politicians force one view of morality on every one else, and pro-lifers try to enforce another.

As for my vote, it would depend on their stances and my options. It is unlikely that I'd vote for a "fundamentalist Christian", since they are likely to operate from a socially regressive outlook. But I would still judge them the way I judge anyone else; on the substance of their ideas.

I don't think its an entirely open paradigm, some things we can all agree on that are absolutely norms of any organised society and social structure. Then there are others things that we can disagree about, less fundamental, more about the limitations of personal choice. In a sense they are all informed by some sense of morality or humanist impulse but that is far from representing an organised religious agenda.

I don't care that he is Muslim at all. My brother is Muslim but how do you explain the pictures?

I have a picture where I'm wearing a kimono. I must be Japanese!

I don't know. Maybe related to his father being a Kenyan and Obama participating in his father's culture for some event or another?

But many do. The world doesn't revolve around your personal beliefs.

Lots of people believe all sorts of crazy ****, it don't make it right. If the world revolved around my thoughts it would be a much better place, when I'm global dictator...

I don't think its an entirely open paradigm, some things we can all agree on that are absolutely norms of any organised society and social structure. Then there are others things that we can disagree about, less fundamental, more about the limitations of personal choice. In a sense they are all informed by some sense of morality or humanist impulse but that is far from representing an organised religious agenda.

LOL. No. Aside from the innate human capacities for empathy, justice, or what have you, there is nothing that we must inherently agree upon. And that includes what you call personal choice.

In the example of abortion, if someone agrees that murder is wrong, and they view a fetus as a human, then killing the fetus is murder, and thus wrong. There is nothing "unreasonable" about it.

I don't care that he is a Muslim at all. My brother is a Muslim but how do you explain the pictures?

Wait. I thought you were joking. You actually think these picture prove Obama is a secret Muslim? The things you must think people secretly are because of their Halloween Costumes every year... Wow that would be fun to hang out with you that night.

I have a picture where I'm wearing a kimono. I must be Japanese!

I don't know. Maybe related to his father being a Kenyan and Obama participating in his father's culture for some event or another?

Certainly possible. He could have been participating in his father's religion and then decided it wasn't for him when he got older.

Lots of people believe all sorts of crazy ****, it don't make it right. If the world revolved around my thoughts it would be a much better place, when I'm global dictator...

Again, I don't acknowledge your authority over all that is right and non-crazy. I don't understand why you do.

Wait. I thought you were joking. You actually think these picture prove Obama is a secret Muslim? The things you must think people secretly are because of their Halloween Costumes every year... Wow that would be fun to hang out with you that night.

I don't really know if he is or not. He's wearing multiple things similar to those pictures on multiple occasions. Comparing it to Halloween is extremely dumb.

Like I said he could have just been participating in it because of his father.

Like with everything else - it depends... I'm an atheist and would vote for some religious people before I vote for some atheists. It all depends on their commitment to secular values, upholding individual human rights, and... implementing various other economic and political policies. And like with everything else, I realize no one will be 100% aligned with my ideas so I can make compromises with some positions, if the important ones are taken care of.

When it comes to religious people running for office I personally have hard time distinguishing between genuine belief and plans and pandering to the masses in US politics. I've been following US election cycles for a while now and I can honestly say I've never seen anything like it in my neck of the woods and in Europe in general. It seems like a prerequisite for the candidates to be outwardly Christian and when it comes to the republican side the more Christian they are the more traction they usually to get. Now there are of course outliers and I'd say Trump is one of them, although even he had to pretend to be big on Jesus and to select a Bible thumping vice-president... so...

In general, I wouldn't mind any person's personal religious beliefs as long as they stay personal and religious and not leak into their public politics and policy making. If I want to follow the teachings of Jesus/Mohammad/etc , I can do this on my own, no need to force it on me through the state, thank you very much. In general any candidate that has any sort of authoritarian and/or theocratic streak is a no-go for me.

I don't really know if he is or not. He's wearing multiple things similar to those pictures on multiple occasions. Comparing it to Halloween is extremely dumb.

Like I said he could have just been participating in it because of his father.

Lol, I have dressed up multiple times in various costumes and outfits that are not who I am. I mean I guess there is no way possible to find out if he was as a kid at that age and then left. Not like his life story and information is not readily available...

He wrote in The Audacity of Hope that he "was not raised in a religious household". He described his mother, raised by non-religious parents, as being detached from religion, yet "in many ways the most spiritually awakened person that I have ever known." He described his father as a "confirmed atheist" by the time his parents met, and his stepfather as "a man who saw religion as not particularly useful."

Oh wait I forgot he was secretly Muslim and has been hiding it but accidentally let these pictures be taken. Boy did they come back to haunt him.

Also I guess you could take 10 seconds and research what the pictures are and where they are from right?

The picture was taken when Obama went on a visit to Africa as a senator. Obama, whose father was Kenyan, visited Wajir in the Kenyan north-east, close to the Somali and Ethiopian borders, and was dressed by locals as a Somali elder.

here is the policy of conversion on religions

jews don't actively convert people. if someone wants to be converted to a jew, the rabi gots to make sure the person really really really really really wants it!
for example in ornage is new black, they showed it wrongly as the person asking the rabi 3 times before he says yes! while clearly it showed she was not ready to convert. so we make sure 100% you wanna convert

chhristians go around the world in different ways/different denomination to convert people peacefully

islam on the other hand has convert or DIE!

so yeah you should not want a muslim president/politicians. because he will put sharia law above everything else! atleas tnot the majority!

I am not religious, and I mostly do not care what someone's religion is when deciding to vote for them. However, I will not vote for someone whose ideas of "religious freedom" differs vastly from my own. Anyone who believes that they can discriminate against another person because of their religious beliefs will not be getting my vote. Religious freedom to me means being able to worship and believe and live in whatever fashion you choose as long as it does not harm others. If a candidate believes that all should live as that individual believes, and wants to make laws consistent with that belief, that's when they have crossed the line.