What's new

Quin Snyder is the new coach

It's interesting that the Jazz hire a coach that has some serious Coach K connections (played for and coached under him) when reportedly the Jazz want to make Jabari Parker the face of the franchise. Although its probably nothing but I suppose that it could help the Jazz evaluate Parker a little better as well as maybe help Parker succeed if they do end up drafting him.

So now that Snyder is the coach, do you think he will coach at Vegas? I remember Jason Kidd doing it.

Never knew about him before. My first impression on him, self confident, intimate, laid back, and strong character guy.

I like what I saw. I hope that reflects to the Jazz's offensive and defensive systems as they learn to play together as a team instead of young prospects trying out a few set pieces the coach taught them.

Locke got him to open up alot, talking about his dad and past in Washington State. You can tell David was really kissing his *** pretty good. Quin was shocked about how much David knew about him.

David talked to him about wanting to coach basketball rather than go into the financial industry where he would have made a crap load of money

Talked about leaving the Pacers training camp and decided he was giving up his basketbal career to do something else. He wanted to do great things, not just be a mediocre player which he knew he was

Talked alot about P&R and how that is how coaches win and lose jobs.

Talked about how players want to be coached

Locke and Quin seemed to really hit it off

If you have ever been an interviewer ... that's what you do, kiss the butt of the person you're interviewing. Of course, it depends on what kind of interview. In some cases, you need to ask hard questions if it's essential to your article. But usually kissing butt enables you to gain the trust of the person you're interviewing and elicit more information.

xofeaf.jpg

gotta love that awkward moment of the first photoshoot of your professional head coaching career. Gail was like "why the heck am I doing this still?.." Quin was like "Oh man, I need to bail as fast as I can this is so boring." KOC and DL was like "thank God I bought those cheek clips for this smile to stay there as much as it needs to be.."

It's interesting that the Jazz hire a coach that has some serious Coach K connections (played for and coached under him) when reportedly the Jazz want to make Jabari Parker the face of the franchise. Although its probably nothing but I suppose that it could help the Jazz evaluate Parker a little better as well as maybe help Parker succeed if they do end up drafting him.

Where has it been reported that the Jazz are interested in making Parker the face of the franchise? I am sure it hasn't come from the Jazz front office. Beside the fact that Snyder has been away from Duke for a while so he has connections there but it wasn't like he was there coaching Parker.

I found this on another Jazz board and thought it was an interesting read. It sheds light on his time at Missouri.

May 13, 2004 | 12:48 pm
SOME PERSPECTIVE ON THE NCAA INVESTIGATION
Brad Burgess
Publisher

The reactions to the recently-released NCAA investigation of Missouri's basketball program are varied, and somewhat baffling. We'll take a closer look and try to provide a balanced perspective, since you won't likely receive that professional courtesy from certain members of the St. Louis print media.

It's apparent that some media members either haven't been paying attention and are woefully deficient in their historical research related to Missouri's recent basketball problems, or they have chosen to shed the veneer of objectivity and to simply lash out.

We'll lay out the facts and allow you to decide.

First, let's differentiate between the word, "allegation" and "violation". The NCAA report lists several allegations, which do not become violations until either the University agrees with the findings, or until the matter is adjudicated through an appeal process.

Second, I have the 25 page document in front of me and the bulk of the allegations listed related to irregularities based on procedure. The NCAA's regulations allow transport of players and recruits from hotels in certain proscribed ways. They allow for certain types of meals to be provided, and only in certain circumstances. Phone calls can be made, and apparently received, during certain times, but not others.

The point is that the majority of allegations contained in this report are evidence of sloppiness, not systematic corruption. They are the equivalent of jaywalking by NCAA standards. There are rules to prevent people from double parking on the street, however, they aren't often asked to resign for doing so.

These NCAA rules are in place to help prevent an institution from gaining an unfair recruiting advantage over potential schools.

The question is, did any of these allegations provide an advantage to Missouri?

The names of recruits that are specifically listed in this report include the following: Nik Caner-Medley, Walter Waters, Maurice Ager, Robert Whaley, Gid Rinkevicius, Jeff Graves and James White. While Missouri received oral commitments from two of these players, not one ended up becoming part of the Missouri program.

One player who did eventually become part of the Missouri program was Jason Conley. Missouri conceded that an assistant coach had responded to calls from Conley's mother while he was at VMI. What gets lost in the noise surrounding this situation is that the assistant coach in question already received a sanction for that action from the University last summer. Also, does anybody recall Ms. Conley's comments about Missouri doing nothing wrong, and that no less than seven other schools had called her back as well?

Then there are the sections associated with Ricky Clemons. There is the allegation of the hotel movie, the Oakley gear, and a specific payment from an assistant coach. Missouri has publicly acknowledged the Oakley mistake, and is fighting the payment allegation saying that it didn't happen. The hotel movie cost $10. Wow, are they constructing the gallows in Columbia yet?

But while the Bernie Miklaszes of the world would ask you to focus on these events that occurred over a four-year period, what they don't want you to remember are the trail of accusations that they published that weren't substantiated.

You'll recall that numerous and repeated accusations were made last summer and fall regarding academic fraud, systematic payouts to players, and other high-level scandals? Funny thing, through two intensive investigations by the school and the NCAA, none of those allegations were found to have merit.

What is puzzling is why a publication like the St. Louis Post-Dispatch would choose to ignore that there were no findings related to academic fraud or other major violations that they repeatedly trumpeted over the course of many months, and continue to hammer on Quin Snyder as if there were?

The question isn't did Missouri make mistakes or not. Of course mistakes were made at Missouri. However, it's a question of severity and degree. The pedestrian nature of the offenses outlined in the NCAA report show that Quin Snyder needs to tighten down his approach and put some quality control measures in place. That's about it!

True to form, Miklasz was calling for Snyder's head in Wednesday's edition. He said that at least Snyder hadn't "lost his soul," in recognizing that mistakes had been made. I wish the same could be said certain members of the media, Bernie.

Media members from other markets and publications apparently understand the difference between allegations of academic fraud and an impermissible ride from the hotel.

I wonder why the distinction is lost on the Post-Dispatch?

I don't know how anyone can dislike him or love him. He hasn't done anything yet. I am going to give the guy a chance. He wasn't my first choice but I am excited for the possibilities.

well, from what i saw, dude looks not very fresh, he's kind of like after a serious illness )) the same with his voice

i don't like or dislike him, but i wouldn't hired him, my prediction is not very good on this guy

well, from what i saw, dude looks not very fresh, he's kind of like after a serious illness )) the same with his voice

i don't like or dislike him, but i wouldn't hired him, my prediction is not very good on this guy

Dang, you shouldn't judge a book (person), by it's cover (how they look). That's a low blow man.

Dang, you shouldn't judge a book (person), by it's cover (how they look). That's a low blow man.

Is bjunior the re-incarnation of "fromRussia?" I remember him saying Sloan had a mental illness due to the way his eyes and face looked.

xofeaf.jpg

gotta love that awkward moment of the first photoshoot of your professional head coaching career. Gail was like "why the heck am I doing this still?.." Quin was like "Oh man, I need to bail as fast as I can this is so boring." KOC and DL was like "thank God I bought those cheek clips for this smile to stay there as much as it needs to be.."

I'm liking what I see from Gail.