What's new

Rep is dumb.

[size/HUGE] boobs [/size];889914 said:
Childish advice. I do not report.

This is feedback and so I leave it here. Leave it at that, my friend.

He's not your friend.

Your "handling" of it has been petty, narrow-minded, and condescending. In my humble opinion.

You're welcome to your opinion, of course. But your opinion is wrong. ;-)

More seriously, from my perspective I've been completely above board. I've answered every question truthfully and openly, I haven't insulted anyone, and every action I've taken has been out of consideration of the good of the site.

[size/HUGE] fixed [/size];889807 said:
are you calling me a visionary?

More seriously, from my perspective I've been completely above board. I've answered every question truthfully and openly, I haven't insulted anyone, and every action I've taken has been out of consideration of the good of the site.

And yet, boobs is still allowed to post.

I see.

Overall, the best part of the thread was when PKM nailed you with the "kid with a magnifying glass", followed closely by your apparent ignorance of the meaning. You're a physics professor at a major university and you've never heard that term? Riiiiiiight.

I'm taking Colton ' s side on this.

I think there should be a cap on rep.

There also should be a cap on the number of posts EJ O'wells can post. He's like the pan handler on the side of the freeway. His presence is unsightly and filthy. Only let him on in the early AM or something. I'm sure he'll find what he's looking for there anyways. We'll all be better off.

I'm taking Colton ' s side on this.

I think there should be a cap on rep.

There also should be a cap on the number of posts EJ O'wells can post. He's like the pan handler on the side of the freeway. His presence is unsightly and filthy. Only let him on in the early AM or something. I'm sure he'll find what he's looking for there anyways. We'll all be better off.

Man, you are really on fire with these witty, quick, and cutting burns.

I'm flummoxed.

The reason I keep saying it, is that you (and others) keep misusing the terms. I can understand why you'd be annoyed if rep were capped, but I frankly still can't understand why you're annoyed that rep POWER is capped.

So the only possible reason you can imagine for me capping rep power is because I feel that the rep system is dumb? I guess I don't get what you're saying here.

Sorry, I'm again not following. What does the "this" in your first sentence refer to?

And I've never claimed that you've abused high rep power.

One of the aspects of rep is the ability to cap rep power. It's built into the rep system. I don't understand why you think that there is some obligation on my part to use ALL THE OTHER PARTS OF THE REP SYSTEM,* but not to touch that particular part. How does that make any sense at all?

I feel just like you that the rep system "was designed to promote healthy and interesting content.. as well as funny and entertaining". That's exactly it. So whenever I tweak the rep system, it's part of a constant quest to better fulfill that goal. And after using the rep system for a while now, I truly feel like having a rep cap will help accomplish that. In fact, as I think I've mentioned, I wish I had set a rep power cap much earlier, and even now I think the rep power cap should be lower than it currently is. I've refrained from setting it lower in large part because I didn't want to get any more grief from you. But since you're giving me grief, anyway, I think I'll just set it for the value I think will be best going on from here. <sets rep power cap again> There. I shouldn't be changing that any more.

And for what it's worth, I'm not trying to demean you at all. That never even crossed my mind. I'm just sick of your constant complaints about this aspect of the rep system. And I truly do not understand why it's such a big deal for you to have a higher rep power than anyone else. You haven't ever explained that in a manner that I have been able to understand. In your response just now you said simply that you care about the rep system, which makes sense, but you didn't indicate why THIS PARTICULAR SETTING within the rep system makes you so upset. And you never have, to my knowledge.

Also, for what it's worth, we didn't add in the rep system. It came pre-installed with this version of the board software. It's been here since day 1.

My handling of this has been FAR more reasonable than your handling of this. In my humble opinion.

I'm not even sure what that means.

* except the ability to give arbitrary rep power to admins. I guess you'd prefer I didn't use that part, either.

Wow for a second there I thought I was back in the OB and jazzgazm thread.

kxX7wfR.gif

And yet, boobs is still allowed to post.

I see.

Overall, the best part of the thread was when PKM nailed you with the "kid with a magnifying glass", followed closely by your apparent ignorance of the meaning. You're a physics professor at a major university and you've never heard that term? Riiiiiiight.

They are trying the most best my friend. If they infraction everyone for reason they infraction me there will be no more poster left. I will report your size of manhood joke so you will know they are selecting posters to kick off when you get special treatment with no infraction like me.

Lol, par for the course. Your politeness does a poor job of hiding the underlying condescending nature of your posts. "Your opinion is wrong". Okay buddy.

Approaching this rather narrowly aren't we, sir colton. 2/2