What's new

Rep vs Likes vs None

What Would You Prefer?

• Total voters

Jason

Administrator
Staff member
Interested in a poll here. We are debating implementing the ability to "like" a post. It would display below each post and you can "like" it or not. That's it. It's not a Facebook "like" (that already exists) but instead just a way to say you appreciated the content of the post.

Now it could be a replacement for rep and we can keep statistics and things per user or it could be just at the post level and that's it. Question is how would you like to see it implemented? As a new feature unrelated to rep? Or should we do away with rep and start over based on "likes" at the post level but keep statistics per user? Or maybe we should have a "like" increase or decrease rep as a way to tie them together (ugh).

Feedback? Questions?

The Luddite in me thinks that this Like gizmo is, pardon-me, quite stupid. I say stick to rep. Or maybe you could have the like feature, but have them publically-anonymous.

I just don't see what the like-feature offers, that the rep doesn't.

I just don't see what the like-feature offers, that the rep doesn't.

Good point. One thing is it could be used later to highlight quality content based on # of likes. It also makes the former "rep" that would have been received for a post public. Meaning, you can see how many likes a post has and then maybe actually read it.

I like the "like" system for one reason. You cant always rep a good post, cause you can only give out so much. however if you can like as many posts as you would like that would be cool. Then you could be reputible and likable!!!!

I like the "like" system for one reason. You cant always rep a good post, cause you can only give out so much. however if you an like as many posts as you would like that would be cool.

Yes, you could "like" a post once and only once. No caps. If the "like" fed into a new reputation model, then that might need to be reconsidered however.

Yes, you could "like" a post once and only once. No caps. If the "like" fed into a new reputation model, then that might need to be reconsidered however.

Understood. i would just like the "like" feature becasue sometimes id like to rep a post but cant casue i am only aloud to rep so many people a day. Somedays there are quite a few reputible posts. it would be nice to be able to tell some one "hey nice post i like it!!!" It would alos be cool if you could some how see if somethings has been liked alot. like a "like O Meter"!!!!

I've chosen the option for: "Use a Post Liking System but Keep Rep Separate".

I think Post Liking and Rep should be separate. Here's why.

- You may like a post because it is a mildly good/decent post, but you don't LOVE it enough to Rep. So you would just simply click "Like" to show your appreciation & to give the poster an indication that they're on the right track. You can do this unlimited times, I don't see a problem with that.

- Then if you REALLY LOVE a post, then you would simply "Rep" that person the traditional way. The restriction on how many times you can give out Rep should still be there so people use this mode sparingly, not just giving it out willy nilly. The ability to "Neg Rep" should also be there - this is to keep people from posting harmful, stupid and damaging stuff that are not warranted, but the content of the post isn't severe enough to receive an infraction. I think the "bullying" thing with Neg Rep is now under control, and I think we've all learnt to use it wisely now.

- So why keep 2 systems separate? Because if we only use the "Post Liking System", and you can't "dislike" a post, then this gives a poster an incentive or a loophole to post mildly bad/stupid stuff without being penalized. I fear this is what will happen if the Rep system is taken away.

So that's why I'd like to see the 2 systems being separated. "Post Liking System" to show quality of each post. "Rep System" to show quality of each poster. Give everyone that choice and I believe we are smart enough to choose.

Just my 2 cents.

Keep rep. If rep was infinite and public then I'd say only do the rep system. But since rep is limited (I can't give it away more than a certain number of times, have to spread it around, etc) I like the idea of being able to let someone know I appreciated their post more often than I do without having to publicly respond in the thread. I also like the idea of a thumbs down to a post.

Additionally, I would also think it would be fun to be able to see who has repped a specific post. Not necessarily the text of the rep, but it would be fun to click on the rep button and view who else has either positive or neg repped the same post.

Just leave rep separate. It already has its own unique contributions to the site serving a different purpose than this new thumbs up/thumbs down thing.

I "Like" the way the rep system allows you to make a private comment on a post, rather than always having to make a public comment within the thread. But I think the rep system would be better if everyone had a more equal rep power, maybe cap it at 2 or 3 depending on length of membership. Rep points would still accumulate, but those points would be more representative of HOW MANY other people liked their posts.

I "Like" the way the rep system allows you to make a private comment on a post, rather than always having to make a public comment within the thread. But I think the rep system would be better if everyone had a more equal rep power, maybe cap it at 2 or 3 depending on length of membership. Rep points would still accumulate, but those points would be more representative of HOW MANY other people liked their posts.

Blasphemy!

The rep system is a minor headache I can do without, but when all is said and done I won't argue to get rid of it for the most part.

I think rep is stupid. Posts should garner attention, not posters. Rep creates cliques and rewards people with nothing better to do than post stupid posts all day long.

My vote would be for a system where you "liked" a post and the cumulative number of "likes" and "dislikes" is shown.

Then for those who like to feel good about themselves, you could click on their profile and see their cumulative "like" number. That way, again, posts are ranked because they have good content and not because you are fishing for rep.

I think rep is stupid. Posts should garner attention, not posters. Rep creates cliques and rewards people with nothing better to do than post stupid posts all day long.

My vote would be for a system where you "liked" a post and the cumulative number of "likes" and "dislikes" is shown.

Then for those who like to feel good about themselves, you could click on their profile and see their cumulative "like" number. That way, again, posts are ranked because they have good content and not because you are fishing for rep.

I'm definitely not in favor of a "dislike" button (ala YouTube).

Why?

You get someone posting about a person/religion/topic, and suddenly you get a whole lot of "dislikes" just because 1/2 of the board doesn't like that person/religion/topic. You get people who "dislike" a post just because they don't like the subject matter, they don't believe in that particular religion/political view/beliefs. Or you get people who do it just because they can. I think it's dangerous to give someone the power to click "dislike" unlimited number of times "anonymously" ala YouTube.

My point is, the number of "dislikes" won't be based on the quality of post, it will be based on whether or not the voters like the subject matter or agree with the topic or not. Which I think is contrary to the objective of having that function.

One good aspect of the Rep system is that the person who clicked "Neg Rep" can be held accountable for justifying why they did that. Plus it is only limited to a number of times per day.

A myth that continues to be perpetuated .. I have, many times, screenshot my reps.. there are NO trends to be found.
I have stated recently that most people here seem to rep wit/sarcasm/etc more so than valuable knowledge/discussion on a given topic. I really don't care either way, just an observation.

What I find funny is the assertion that people with high rep are merely rep whores while low rep means you're a more pure fan/better poster or something. I guess its penis envy .. I don't know. I don't rep whore (never have one time on this board.. never) nor have I ever, once, used my rep to bully or anything of the sort.

Yet, just yesterday, you negged me saying you're jealous of my rep power????? Seems you're a bit hyprocritical. . Dontchathink?

A myth that continues to be perpetuated .. I have, many times, screenshot my reps.. there are NO trends to be found.
I have stated recently that most people here seem to rep wit/sarcasm/etc more so than valuable knowledge/discussion on a given topic. I really don't care either way, just an observation.

What I find funny is the assertion that people with high rep are merely rep whores while low rep means you're a more pure fan/better poster or something. I guess its penis envy .. I don't know. I don't rep whore (never have one time on this board.. never) nor have I ever, once, used my rep to bully or anything of the sort.

Yet, just yesterday, you negged me saying you're jealous of my rep power????? Seems you're a bit hyprocritical. . Dontchathink?

LOL.. green, what's happened to you bro?!?! You're better than that man!!!!

I know you!!! We used to have good fun discussions about Jazz's future directions, Ty Corbin, Al Jefferson, Millsap staying or going next year (which has since become this year), etc, etc.

Let's get back to that rather than this *** for tat, sandpit / school yard stuff!!

LOL.. green, what's happened to you bro?!?! You're better than that man!!!!

I know you!!! We used to have good fun discussions about Jazz's future directions, Ty Corbin, Al Jefferson, Millsap staying or going next year (which has since become this year), etc, etc.

Let's get back to that rather than this tick for tat, sandpit / school yard stuff!!

I hate ticks.