What's new

Rep vs Likes vs None

What Would You Prefer?

• Total voters
A myth that continues to be perpetuated .. I have, many times, screenshot my reps.. there are NO trends to be found.
I have stated recently that most people here seem to rep wit/sarcasm/etc more so than valuable knowledge/discussion on a given topic. I really don't care either way, just an observation.

What I find funny is the assertion that people with high rep are merely rep whores while low rep means you're a more pure fan/better poster or something. I guess its penis envy .. I don't know. I don't rep whore (never have one time on this board.. never) nor have I ever, once, used my rep to bully or anything of the sort.

Yet, just yesterday, you negged me saying you're jealous of my rep power????? Seems you're a bit hyprocritical. . Dontchathink?

I agree. I think 80% of my reps come from silly zingers as opposed to meaningful posts.

While I try to reward quality, I also often pos rep someone for making me laugh. Then when I run into a quality post I'm out of rep for the day.

A myth that continues to be perpetuated .. I have, many times, screenshot my reps.. there are NO trends to be found.
I have stated recently that most people here seem to rep wit/sarcasm/etc more so than valuable knowledge/discussion on a given topic. I really don't care either way, just an observation.

What I find funny is the assertion that people with high rep are merely rep whores while low rep means you're a more pure fan/better poster or something. I guess its penis envy .. I don't know. I don't rep whore (never have one time on this board.. never) nor have I ever, once, used my rep to bully or anything of the sort.

Yet, just yesterday, you negged me saying you're jealous of my rep power????? Seems you're a bit hyprocritical. . Dontchathink?

Hey now. I wasn't going after you with the clique thing. I've found that when I rep certain people, the rep me back quickly. You aren't one of them. I think you've only repped me once.

And with the neg rep to your power, I was trying to be funny. Sorry about that.

I do agree with you that the funnier/wittier you are, the more rep you get.

Now, I will admit, I did take a shot at you (and others) in my post with this:

rewards people with nothing better to do than post stupid posts all day long.

Now, I do have to say you post some absolutely great stuff on here. BUT, you also post a lot of "yup" and similar stuff (how can you not if you are going to have as many posts as what you have). Now, I am sure you would still have a very high rep power if you weren't rewarded for post count, but it wouldn't be near as high. That is a flaw with the rep system and probably my biggest gripe.

I get why Jason likes it, because it encourages you to post, and keeps the board alive, but it also rewards people for not as good posts.

Anyways, I think my way is better, but I also think most things I do, my way is better. Lol.

Didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers or offend, but like I said above, I think my idea is better.

:)

LOL.. green, what's happened to you bro?!?! You're better than that man!!!!

I know you!!! We used to have good fun discussions about Jazz's future directions, Ty Corbin, Al Jefferson, Millsap staying or going next year (which has since become this year), etc, etc.

Let's get back to that rather than this *** for tat, sandpit / school yard stuff!!

Lol. When I did that with PKM I was trying to be funny. I guess he and I aren't cool like that. ;)

The ability to LIKE a post is now live. It is unrelated to rep as requested. Enjoy. Please let me know of any issues or concerns.

Another forum i frequent has a like system. And only a post like system. I like the way it works. It lets a poster know that he made a good point when it is well received. Without setting a popularity contest like the rep system does.
I don't mind the rep system but I like the system of liking a post more. JMO

Can you make it so that the font color of a post changes after passing a certain 'like' threshold?

Me too. I only keep paper money in my wallet.

Seriously, though, I'm now getting "like" notifications in my e-mail. I don't get the same notices for rep. How do I turn that off?

Hopefully it's the same for you, but if you go to your settings page, on the left at the bottom there is a section for the like mod. Click it and there should be a check box to disable the emails.

Now, I do have to say you post some absolutely great stuff on here. BUT, you also post a lot of "yup" and similar stuff (how can you not if you are going to have as many posts as what you have). Now, I am sure you would still have a very high rep power if you weren't rewarded for post count, but it wouldn't be near as high. That is a flaw with the rep system and probably my biggest gripe.

I get why Jason likes it, because it encourages you to post, and keeps the board alive, but it also rewards people for not as good posts.

Anyways, I think my way is better, but I also think most things I do, my way is better. Lol.

Didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers or offend, but like I said above, I think my idea is better.

:)

... and yet another myth being perpetuated......

Of my 71 rep power, exactly 6 is from post count. If I say 'yup' it means I agree.. not, "Hey, one more post under my belt."

So, my 71 rep has 6 from post count, you have 19 with 0 from post count... that leaves a difference, between us, of 46 rep power, NONE of which has to do with number of posts.

If Jason were trying to promote posts and more traffic, as you asserted above, he would change the formula to reward a rep point every 1,000 posts (or whatever) rather than every 5,000.

Just wanted to point out how wrong you were, again. No hard feelings though. You're welcome for the lesson in reality.

Hopefully it's the same for you, but if you go to your settings page, on the left at the bottom there is a section for the like mod. Click it and there should be a check box to disable the emails.

Thanks, that was driving me nuts as well.

Is there anything worse than logging in, seeing you have 6 new notifications, then opening it up to see that it was just people "liking" your posts?

Getting a like vs getting repped is like opening up a paycheck and instead of getting money you were given gold star stickers and a note that says, "great job!"

Is there anything worse than logging in, seeing you have 6 new notifications, then opening it up to see that it was just people "liking" your posts?

Getting a like vs getting repped is like opening up a paycheck and instead of getting money you were given gold star stickers and a note that says, "great job!"

Lmao

I've had 37 of my posts liked today. I'm on fire bros.
And now people won't feel the need to go to the trouble to actually rep those posts because they already liked them.