What's new

Resign Conley... do or don’t

So those poo poo ing the possibility of a trade of Bojan or Clarkson, is the idea to just wait until our core aside from Don and Rudy ages out in the next few years and then start a rebuild when Don opts out of his last year and leaves cause we did nothing to surround him with a championship core?
Nah... I'm saying you need to sign Mike to preserve the asset... then you look to trade one of those guys to get something we lack. Its just really hard to do.

I think we should get comfortable with the fact that we will have DM for another 3 years and will trade him if he doesn't sign an extension at that point. These guys move around a lot now... you don't get a 10 year runway unless you build something amazing.

How bout Lonzo?
If we let Mike walk we could do a sign and trade with them for JC or Bojan. Does the current roster minus Conley and JC plus Lonzo look better now or 2 years down the road?
We definitely will be worse next season. After that, I don’t know? Depends on if Lonzo’s shot keeps improving and depends on if Mike’s hammy holds up. If Mike’s not playing or falls off a cliff, then yes, I think there’s a good chance we are better off for doing that deal. If not, at least we tried to do something to avoid the treadmill, Don leaving, and the full rebuild.

We also have more money coming off the books and more flexibility to get better in coming seasons. It would be the first of a series of moves to try to get younger over a series of years.

I don’t know? Depends on if Lonzo’s shot keeps improving and depends on if Mike’s hammy holds up. If Mike’s not playing or falls off a cliff, then yes, I think there’s a good chance we are better.

We also have more money coming off the books and more flexibility to get better in coming seasons. It would be the first of a series of moves to try to get younger over a series of years.
We have zero flexibility... the money coming off the books gives us room under the tax but not cap space. We don't control the 2022 1st rounder... we don't have any second round picks until like 2026... we have no flexibility... I don't think you understand the cap my friend.

I obviously don’t have an expert opinion on his medical condition, and I am no cap expert. Yet my inclination is to re-sign Conley so long as the price is 18 million or less for next season and then maybe a season or two afterwards for substantially less. The cap may make that impractical, so any of you cap experts by all means weight in, I’m willing to update my opinion based on new information.

Conley is now a perfect example of the sunk cost effect. We know his shortcomings. But no point of giving up on him now since we hardly have any other alternatives. We've already committed too much time and resources on him. Not bringing him back would only result in worse outcomes.

Gotta hate to be the guy who's replacing DL this offseason. Tough spot indeed.

We have zero flexibility... the money coming off the books gives us room under the tax but not cap space. We don't control the 2022 1st rounder... we don't have any second round picks until like 2026... we have no flexibility... I don't think you understand the cap my friend.
I understand only the basics of the cap, the soft cap, exceptions for teams over the soft cap, and the luxury tax, but I am not an expert.

Why couldn’t we trade Ingles’ expiring contract next year at the deadline for something?

I am trying hard to not feel super depressed about the future of the team. It seems the only way to change our fate in any material way would be a Rudy trade. It feels like we are locked in and stuck until this team ages out, Don leaves, and the full rebuild is on.

Elephant in the room, but how much are we paying Conley? Isn’t he supposed to be a leader? Then Why is he a wuss?

I don’t see the statues, Dwill, Memo, Rudy, or Spida sitting out this series like Conley has. Conley seems more like Boozer than Stockton.

Spida isn’t perfect but at least he’s out there playing with one leg. Hell, even james harden is giving it a try. I just wished Conley gave it a try.

I’m referencing the “washed up has been” comment. Way too much vitriol for Mike. That “washed up has been” just had perhaps his best season ever and got his first All-Star nod ever.
People being pretty dumb now

This isn’t fair at all. Mike’s been a good sport and teammate. Not his fault he’s hurt.
His *** should be out there playing. Even if it’s for 10 mins per game and standing on one side of the court. It’s not fair to Mitchell who’s gutting it out. Even Harden is playing. Carlos Conley is failing his team.

I’m referencing the “washed up has been” comment. Way too much vitriol for Mike. That “washed up has been” just had perhaps his best season ever and got his first All-Star nod ever.
Conley is good when healthy. Or when not being a wuss. His *** should be out there with Mitchell.