What's new

Resign Conley... do or don’t

Only re-sign him if we can't get someone better, but I don't know what's possible given our cap situation. Doesn't look like we have a lot of options. Whether he comes back or not, we need a quality backup at PG. If he's back, he's going to miss games and we need someone who back him up who isn't named Mitchell or Ingles.
How can Utah expect to compete with PHX paying Conley the same $$$ the Suns pay CP3 tho???

is that a "winning trade" to you? not to me, its not even neutral its clearly a losing trade...

Same thing I used to say during the Hayward max money contract discussion, how far does this really get u in playoff scenarios..

DL and the sunk cost fallacy are best of friends. The more and more I think about it the more I think there needs to be wholesale changes with the roster but thanks to DL's brilliant roster building that won't happen without the roster being completely torn down and going into a full blown rebuild a la the thunder.
That extra pick looms large now.

Why. Sounds like they pretty much have to re-sign him unless: (1) Mike wants to leave; or (2) we are tanking.
oh they have to resign him they have no choice, its completely doomed tho..

The suns have better talent n pay better prices for it tho.. how can Utah compete?

Yup... you sign him and then the pivot comes with other people. I think its the right move anyway. When Mike is healthy he's a winning player who is well rounded. He increases the ceiling of the team. We need to use Bojan/JC as trade chips to get better pieces but that's a long shot.

Most likely what we do is sign Mike and use the taxpayer MLE on someone like Rudy Gay. This will be mega spendy so you offload JC for a smaller contract and likely a worse player. We don't have the assets or heart to unload Favs.

The other route is praying you hit on a minimum guy like OP jr. ... Torrey Craig, Wes Matthews, maybe Marc Gasol (and you send out Favs for a different player with an equally cumbersome contract but fills a different need).

Basically all we have to do is hit a homerun around the edges... the exact moves we have ****ed up continually.
I don’t think turning Clarkson or Bogey into something good is much of a long shot. Bogey will be good the remainder of his current contract, which isn’t a bad contract. Clarkson just won SMOTY.

You make a trade with someone else to replace Mike, and of course it doesn’t make the team better next year. But I’m not sure next year is what we should be planning for.
So do you have any ideas for a trade to bring a player in to replace Mike C?

The elephant in the room is that paying Conley all that $$$ equates to Utah saying "we're gonna feild a decent squad n hope the elite teams get hurt, n then under those long-shot favorable lucky conditions, we can b competitive"

DL and the sunk cost fallacy are best of friends. The more and more I think about it the more I think there needs to be wholesale changes with the roster but thanks to DL's brilliant roster building that won't happen without the roster being completely torn down and going into a full blown rebuild a la the thunder.
I think we have flexibility to do pretty much whatever we want with the roster outside of Conley. Whether we can get like value is another question.

I don’t think turning Clarkson or Bogey into something good is much of a long shot. Bogey will be good the remainder of his current contract, which isn’t a bad contract. Clarkson just won SMOTY.
Great... throw me some ideas and I will tell you why they won't work.

I could play around with the trade machine I suppose. But I’m not sure why we couldn’t trade Bogey for a PG.
So this new player needs to be really good because we are letting Mike go and now giving up Bogie too. This seems like taking one step forward and two steps back. I just don't see a PG out there that is available to make up for losing two primary players on the team.

Mannnn…. I don’t want to try to match salaries. I’ll just wait forTony Jones to tell us what league sources are telling him.
TJ doesn't speculate like that... he had an inside track on Favs cuz him and Favs is muy simpatico.

then who replaces Bogey? What do you use to get that replacement.
Do we need to replace Bogey? Just slide Ingles into the starting lineup and sign a minimum or BAE guy to take up Ingles’ bench minutes. We get worse next year, but let’s be clear, I’m not advocating getting better now, I’m advocating getting younger to hopefully be better during the prime of Don’s prime.

On Conley specifically, I would try to keep Conley, as I’ve since posted in this thread. I agree it’s really the only option once I understood the cap ramifications.

We should, as there's no real way to replace him.

But I kind of expect the FO to let him go and then trade one of the other guys (Bojan/Clarkson/Favors namely) to get under the tax.

Do we need to replace Bogey? Just slide Ingles into the starting lineup and sign a minimum or BAE guy to take up Ingles’ bench minutes. We get worse next year, but let’s be clear, I’m not advocating getting better now, I’m advocating getting younger to hopefully be better during the prime of Don’s prime.

On Conley specifically, I would try to keep Conley, as I’ve since posted in this thread. I agree it’s really the only option once I understood the cap ramifications.
So then what PG did you get from the Bogey trade that is good and young?

I'm not trying to be a dick but just pointing out there are some big challenges with turning Bogey and JC into something that is good now and will be better later.

So those poo poo ing the possibility of a trade of Bojan or Clarkson, is the idea to just wait until our core aside from Don and Rudy ages out in the next few years and then start a rebuild when Don opts out of his last year and leaves cause we did nothing to surround him with a championship core?

So then what PG did you get from the Bogey trade that is good and young?

I'm not trying to be a dick but just pointing out there are some big challenges with turning Bogey and JC into something that is good now and will be better later.
How bout Lonzo? I hear there may be fire sale to keep Zion happy and surround him with “win now” players.