What's new

Resign Conley... do or don’t

It sounds like a player like Caruso, Bane, or Maledon would be real useful. It’s too bad these blue-chippers would never be available for the Jazz.

Sarcasm aside, you’re preaching to the choir about Mike. Happy to have him at the right price, but the price isn’t that high.

If he’s $20 million when healthy, then take a third of that away and you’ve got your wage. Because for real, he’s not going to be healthier. If anything, he will be less so.
Aging is in fact a thing ... some guys have overcome it but they are the exceptions.

It doesn't even have to be one of the many guys I've liked over the years... but how you draft Udoka with the current roster is just dumb... like almost a joke. Take a chance on Jaden McDaniels or someone like that and you fail then fine... the process was at least solid. Hell even trade the 1st to slide back and get a second round pick and help the luxury tax situation... I'd go for that... gonna go ahead and just guess Udoka would have still been there but would have cost half as much. We ended up like 2-3M in the tax and were only over that because they realized the ****ed up and decided to go get Matt Thomas to at least make it look like the filled out the roster while barely edging over the tax. Now we stare at a repeater tax with depth issues and a roster that has yet to get to the conference finals.

We have some tough choices ahead and I don't trust DL at all to make the right calls. At this point you almost need a heartless guy like Danny Ainge to come in and move Favs or JC and say locker room be damned. Budget cuts are coming... short of hitting a home run with the 30th pick this iteration of the Jazz has had their best shot at a title fall short in the second round.

Seeing a lot of posts in here that make me believe people don't understand we're over the salary cap either way.

If we don't keep Conley, we don't have cap space to replace him.
Only way you don't bring him back is if the price is ridiculous. Letting him walk and then giving a mid first round pick to Memphis would just be the icing to finish off DL's cakkkkk.

Only for the right price. His hammy is the issue. I would rather go after a young big gun though. Do not know if that is possible. or who are free agents but the Jazz need more athletic guys.

So why are we over the cap if we don't re-sign Mike. He is getting 30 million plus this year? I know nothing about the cap, yes I know it is obvious but why do we not get at least most of his 30 million salary to use. Is this because DM contract kicks in?

The Mike Conley experiment has been a failure due to his being injury prone. Regardless of his next contract, the problem is that the Jazz can't rely on him to be able to play. He's undersized, he's sometimes overmatched physically, and he wears out too quickly. He's a great dude though.

The Mike Conley experiment has been a failure due to his being injury prone. Regardless of his next contract, the problem is that the Jazz can't rely on him to be able to play. He's undersized, he's sometimes overmatched physically, and he wears out too quickly. He's a great dude though.
I think we will try to bring Conley back, unless a super awesome sign and trade presents itself. I just hope it’s a tradeable deal whatever it is. No overpays. You don’t get the patented Jazz overpay if you don’t play in the playoffs. Don’t care if it’s because of injury.

At least one of Bogey, Ingles, or Clarkson will not be on the team next year. It’s the only realistic way to make needed changes unless the FO decides Gobert is on the chopping block.

I think we might also see a purge on the back half of the roster. Can anyone run through the contract situations of guys like Oni, Brantley, Forrest, and Hughes? Who is guaranteed, partially guaranteed? Who is not?

Can someone make a case for how we “get better” this offseason?
Regular season - it doesn't exist. We can't get any better.

Postseason - we could bring the exact same roster back, stay 100% healthy, and hope for some Phoenix Suns luck.

We might be able to bring the exact same roster back. We will not stay 100% healthy. And I doubt we get as lucky as the Suns. Hell, the only Suns bad news came when they were already in the WC Finals. And even then, they will face a Kawhi-less Clippers or hobbled Jazz.

So no, I don't think we can get better this offseason barring some amazing minimum contract Reggie Jackson type signing that plays out of his mind.

I think we will try to bring Conley back, unless a super awesome sign and trade presents itself. I just hope it’s a tradeable deal whatever it is. No overpays. You don’t get the patented Jazz overpay if you don’t play in the playoffs. Don’t care if it’s because of injury.

At least one of Bogey, Ingles, or Clarkson will not be on the team next year. It’s the only realistic way to make needed changes unless the FO decides Gobert is on the chopping block.

I think we might also see a purge on the back half of the roster. Can anyone run through the contract situations of guys like Oni, Brantley, Forrest, and Hughes? Who is guaranteed, partially guaranteed? Who is not?

The Jazz need a 3rd building-block-type piece. Conley isn't it. Bogey is great, but he's more of a Gallinari complementary player. It's not an easy move to make, but the Jazz should be looking to make a consolidation trade for one more guy--an athletic two-way wing who can create and score on his own at a secondary-option level. If that means losing Conley, O'Neale or Bogdanovic as part of the deal, you still do it.

The Jazz need a more reliable second option next to Mitchell. Conley isn't reliable.

The Jazz need a 3rd building-block-type piece. Conley isn't it. Bogey is great, but he's more of a Gallinari complementary player. It's not an easy move to make, but the Jazz should be looking to make a consolidation trade for one more guy--an athletic two-way wing who can create and score on his own at a secondary-option level. If that means losing Conley, O'Neale or Bogdanovic as part of the deal, you still do it.

The Jazz need a more reliable second option next to Mitchell. Conley isn't reliable.
It’s going to be hard to get much out of Conley trade-wise. He’s a UFA, so any team that wants him will just offer him a contract and not have to give up anything. We wouldn’t get much out of a sign and trade, IMO.

We should try to re-sign him on a team friendly deal and move him at the deadline if the idea is to move him.

If there’s a significant trade this offseason, it’ll involve some combination of Bogey, Clarkson and Ingles. Is there a team out there with an elite perimeter defender in need of shooting/scoring? We have shooting and scoring in spades to offer teams.

All the "No"s to Conley is emotions talking. I am pissed at him too, and if this is a straight basketball decision I would probably lean to no.

But this is a business decision. I am not a capologist but I if am not wrong if we don't sign him we lose the cap space that we are not getting back any time soon and we will be stuck operating under the cap. By signing him we get to keep the cap, and at some point, we might consider bundling him in a trade to a team in the east.

I would say let's give it shot at a reasonable price (around 20 mm). We get to try again with this setup and we have all the other options open. By not signing what do we have?

Last edited:

We can't trade Conley... we will be over the apron and unable to receive a player in a sign and trade.

Been saying this for a while, although I’ve been pretty sure they don’t quite have the assets for that kind of guy.

Can someone break down the cap impacts of re-signing versus letting Conley walk? Are we under the soft cap if we let him walk? If so, how far under? It’s advantageous to operate over the soft cap but under the luxury tax line, right?

I need a capologist on here or math major Andy Larsen to break this all down for us.

My guess is the best decision would be to bring Conley back unless the asking price is exorbitant. Keep him as a trade asset for the next deadline.

Can someone break down the cap impacts of re-signing versus letting Conley walk? Are we under the soft cap if we let him walk? If so, how far under? It’s advantageous to operate over the soft cap but under the luxury tax line, right?

I need a capologist on here or math major Andy Larsen to break this all down for us.

My guess is the best decision would be to bring Conley back unless the asking price is exorbitant.
We are capped out even without re-signing Conley. https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/UTA.html

So our options are to re-sign him or try to replace his production by:
- a minimum contract addition (less than $2 million)
- a taxpayer exception (a few million)
- #30 pick in the draft or draft trades

Just letting him walk really screws us in terms of asset management.

My guess is the best decision would be to bring Conley back unless the asking price is exorbitant. Keep him as a trade asset for the next deadline.

Regular cap is 106M and we are at 130M without Conley and the Luxury Tax is 136M. That sums it up.