What's new

Resign Conley... do or don’t

When the season is over I'll think about this. It might be over after next game but regardless it's premature. I hope we win next game and I hope Conley gets healthy to help us keep going this year.

Bad health sucks though. He is older but plenty of older guys stay healthy in the playoffs. Phoenix had an easy schedule and stayed healthy so far. No idea what this series would look like with healthy Conley and Mitchell but I would like to think we have at least one more win.

When the season is over I'll think about this. It might be over after next game but regardless it's premature. I hope we win next game and I hope Conley gets healthy to help us keep going this year.

Bad health sucks though. He is older but plenty of older guys stay healthy in the playoffs. Phoenix had an easy schedule and stayed healthy so far. No idea what this series would look like with healthy Conley and Mitchell but I would like to think we have at least one more win.
With both healthy, we at least steal one in LA and probably close it in 5 (all other factors being equal, like Kawhi getting injured).

Injuries suck. It ruined LA, Denver, Clippers (if Kawhi is as bad as it looks) and probably our season. Phoenix has been lucky as hell all season long and even though we stole some of their medical staff.

So my dad has no idea how the salary cap works and he keeps telling me that we need to let Conley go and use the money he's making on someone that's as good as Conley but that can stay healthy. I keep telling him that even if they don't re-sign Conley they don't have any cap space and they won't be able to replace him. He doesn't believe me and I just can't get it through his head. He's driving my ****ing insane.

Anything below $10m a year and it’s a no-brainer yes, anything above $15m a year and its a no-brainer no.
I think these numbers are pretty close to where we should look to resign him. Even if we have to step up to $13m I think we're still in good shape, but your absolutely spot on the fact we need to walk at anything over $15m. He ads a ton of value to what we were able to do this season and we're definitely missing him in the Western Semi's right now. He provides us with reliable defense, and steady shooting, with a good court vision and works well with getting guys like Mitch and Ingles in their shooting rhythm. The thing that makes it hard to sign him to more, is that there are a lot of quick point guards in the league right now and we have to consider the fact that he has a lot of miles on him for his age. 33-34 is when a lot of superstar-ish vets start to taper off, and we need to consider this when we look to re-sign him. But we most definitely shouldn't just look past him and move on. He brings some amazing leadership both on and off the court for our younger guys. There's a reason Miami Heat has kept Haslem on their roster as long as they have. He provides veteran leadership and helps the Heat without even playing.
Mike can still play, just not quite at the same level he used to. But for 33 years old, he deserves respect for what he brings to a team, and that goes when he plays or is on the bench. For the right money, we keep him and for as long as possible. He is still a great player, and brings experience and grit. And has done it without ever receiving a technical foul. That means that he keeps his mouth shut when there's a bad call. He mans up and goes back to work. Something a lot of young NBA players and young people in general need to learn how to do.

If Ryan Smith is willing to pay the tax, you absolutely re-sign him. As others have pointed out I'm not sure how we materially improve in the FA market given the cap situation.

Maybe there's trade options out there but something in the ~$10-15M seems reasonable for Conley. Have to imagine it'll be a soft market for a 34 year old PG with a bad hamstring (or two bad hamstrings? can't remember).

Is he "worth" a ~$20-$25M all-in price tag including the tax? Probably not, but it's not my money...

I know Mike has to be smart about his health, but if he can come back and help lead us to the West Finals, it's probably worth $10+ million in salary money.

If he doesn't come back, I would imagine he would get a contract making around $12-15 per year tops for two or three years. 3 years - $30-40 million.

If he came back tonight and helps to turn this thing around, I bet he could get $15-20 million for a couple years. 3 years, $45-50 million.

So my dad has no idea how the salary cap works and he keeps telling me that we need to let Conley go and use the money he's making on someone that's as good as Conley but that can stay healthy. I keep telling him that even if they don't re-sign Conley they don't have any cap space and they won't be able to replace him. He doesn't believe me and I just can't get it through his head. He's driving my ****ing insane.

Sounds like you need to create a PowerPoint presentation for dad

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

Imagine being someone in the media being inundated with that type of ****.

resign
/rəˈzīn/
verb
  1. 1.
    voluntarily leave a job or other position.
    "he resigned from the company in protest of the treatment of his co-workers"
    accept that something undesirable cannot be avoided.
    "she resigned herself to a lengthy session"

re-sign
/rēˈsīn/

verb
  1. sign (a document) again.
    • engage (a sports player) to play for a team for a further period.
      "that win backed up my insistence that we re-sign him"
    • (of a sports player) commit oneself to play for a team for a further period.
      "they both played for the club last season and have agreed to re-sign"
I haven’t been able to get this lesson to sink in after years of effort. FYI.

Old people are always like “****ing millennials there’s always a way you just too damn lazy to figure it out... cap space smap space”.

I say yes.... but obviously it depends on the price. Why do I say yes? This year is atypical in that there were so many injuries to star players and that can’t be a coincidence. The league should and will change the schedule. That doesn’t resolve all of conleys injuries but will help and the jazz would do load management.

I think it’s worth the risk considering I don’t think we can get anyone of great value at that position in the off season anyway. He’s a perfect fit on our team on and off the court. Find a way to get him at a decent price.

We need to re-sign Conley with the expectation that he is going to be traded before the deadline. Give him some games where he can shine, throw up some stats, look good.

It won't be a big market for him, but he could be used in a bigger deal potentially. Or maybe some team like the Knicks want a vet PG addition mid-year.

We just can't let him walk. We need the assets.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

We need to re-sign Conley with the expectation that he is going to be traded before the deadline. Give him some games where he can shine, throw up some stats, look good.

It won't be a big market for him, but he could be used in a bigger deal potentially. Or maybe some team like the Knicks want a vet PG addition mid-year.

Facts.

Agreed. I wish we never traded for him and put DM at point and found a good 2 guard with some good size to play next to DM.

Based on everything I’ve read today, he’s not coming back.

And that’s fine. We tried to make it work and it didn’t.

Stop wasting draft capital to find a PG.

Agreed. I wish we never traded for him and put DM at point and found a good 2 guard with some good size to play next to DM.
Many of us were calling for this the whole time. He was redundant and didn't fill a need. A need we ended up never filling and it came back to bite us.

Anyone know what Conley's 4th quarter stats in the playoffs like? yall seen CP3 n Dame's they were damn near immaculate in the 4th