What's new

Revisiting Collins versus Kuzma

Given where the jazz are, I liked the Collins acquisition, even though I understood that the fit would probably be a bit awkward at first. Anyone who is expecting the fit issues to get worked out in fewer than 20 games is, mentally speaking, a mess.

I hoped/expected that Danny would address the deficit in playmaking so that the Collins-Lauri-Kessler fit issues would be reduced, even if he had to pay a bit of a premium to get that done. That didn't happen, and it sucks. I hope all the players are patient; and I hope that Hardy is basically a genius; and I hope that our player development is the best in the league.

Once again though how does that benefit us? If he plays solid and opts out he will have some suitors that can probably offer him a bigger role. As long as he is paired with Lauri he is going to get fewer touches than he would probably want.
Trades my guy. Trades. Our packages will be pick heavy with expiring contracts

Given where the jazz are, I liked the Collins acquisition, even though I understood that the fit would probably be a bit awkward at first. Anyone who is expecting the fit issues to get worked out in fewer than 20 games is, mentally speaking, a mess.

I hoped/expected that Danny would address the deficit in playmaking so that the Collins-Lauri-Kessler fit issues would be reduced, even if he had to pay a bit of a premium to get that done. That didn't happen, and it sucks. I hope all the players are patient; and I hope that Hardy is basically a genius; and I hope that our player development is the best in the league.
The second paragraph is critical imo... when Tyus Jones and Monte Morris were basically free this offseason we should have pounced.

He wanted JHS. For me it was Whitmore.
Cam was 4th on my big board iirc. Draft night that would have been the guy for me... clearly the background and/or medicals must have been awful. If people want to gripe about Taylor then Cam is likely the guy (since we got Keyonte).

I’m only in one of those camps. In fact, because I’m not in the latter camp, it gives me more reason to be in the former camp.
This

I’ve been a Collins guy for some time now, but as Kessler continued to emerge himself cooled to the idea of him. Not totally sure if I would refund the trade given the option….but I can’t deny that the other theoretical pathways that feel realistic also seem a little bit better. Collins will have his moments this year though, he’s still a very good player.

The roster is clunky, but a couple trades to balance out the skill sets would do wonders and will happen eventually imo. The good thing is that there isn’t the ticking time bomb Don/Rudy situation making that reshuffling much more urgent.