What's new

RIP hot rod

It's a sad day for Jazz fans. Along with Vin Scully, Keith Jackson, Pat Summerall, and Chick Hearn, Hot Rod was among the best I've ever heard broadcast sports.

OB-CY363_miller_G_20090113164038.jpg

600-araton.jpg

pd1143176.jpg

Best play by play announcer of all time. Easily.

It was actually enjoyable to listen to games on the radio with Hot Rod and he painted such a vivid picture of what was happening on the court.

So many good child hood memories involving Hot Rod.

U Gotta Luv It Baby!!

For many years when I lived outside of Utah in the late 90s, maybe early 2000s, the only way I could catch jazz games was through a radio internet feed. Hot Rod was the show. He made the game come alive for me. Thanks for the memories, may you rest in peace.

With Hot Rod and Chick Hearn you didn't need TV to "watch" the game. The way they called the games, you could listen and imagine the plays unfolding.
Most NBA announcers today are inane - and that includes Bolerjack and Harpring. They're more interested in trying to be cute with each other than just calling the game. Of course we'll excuse the last few years when age and alcoholism had taken their toll and Hot Rod couldn't keep the players straight.

I didn't find out until the game tonight. The Nuggets gave a moment of silence for him tonight.

With Hot Rod and Chick Hearn you didn't need TV to "watch" the game. The way they called the games, you could listen and imagine the plays unfolding.
Most NBA announcers today are inane - and that includes Bolerjack and Harpring. They're more interested in trying to be cute with each other than just calling the game. Of course we'll excuse the last few years when age and alcoholism had taken their toll and Hot Rod couldn't keep the players straight.

Don't forget about the radio broadcasters getting moved up higher.

Some many memories. So many games as a boy listening to Hot Rodisms describing Stockton to Malone. Thank you for being a part of my life. You are the best.

Bye Hot Rod.

Sad day.