What's new

RIP hot rod

So there I was, at work, joking around with one of my co-workers and celebrating his high test score he received on one of his CBT's. I received a text from a good friend a Jazz fan that lives in Utah, the text said, "Hot Rod died". Immediately my heart sank. I sat there staring at my phone in disbelief. four more text's followed almost simultaneously, stating the same thing. My mind immediately took me back to my youth. Listening to Hot Rod while watching Stockton "hippity hop" down the court, passing the ball to Malone, "while the cow hide globe hit home!!!!!!!!". In later years Hot Rod went to radio only. Craig Bohlerjack replaced him on T.V. I would turn on the game and mute the T.V. while tuning into the radio so that I could still listen to Hot Rod Hundley announce the game. No one delivered the good or the bad news like he did.
I was fortunate enough to get his autograph 3 times as a child. Each time I recall nothing more than meeting a true gentleman who was passionate about his job. In 1992 the all star game came to Utah. I was a child and I badly badly wanted to go to the All-star game. My parents worked very hard but didn't make very much money. My dad worked 1 job and 65 hours a week, and my mother worked 1 full time job and 1 part time job, just to put food on the table. We had very little. My mother had won tickets to the All star practice (day before the game). It was very entertaining, and they had a game with the "ex-stars". Hot Rod was apart of this game. He was old then, and even though it was played with a light heart, you could see Hot Rod (being as old as he was) wanted to prove himself. He didn't do well, but his passion for the game wouldn't allow him to give nothing less than 100%, and his few minutes on the court he gave just that.
He approached the game just like he did every time the microphone was in his hand. He wanted to give no less than 100%. Hot Rod Hundley, for many of us, is the voice of the Jazz. Even though he is no longer announcing the game play by play, he is still (and will be forever) the one that we hear while watching the game. He has covered the Jazz when we were still the New Orleans Jazz with Pistol Pete Maravich, all the way to Salt Lake City Utah to the retirement years of John Stockton and Karl Malone.
There is no more famous, "Stockton to Malone"-(In Hot Rod's voice) or "Horny, with the pull up rainbow jumper". But for many there will never be a time that we can watch a Jazz game and be fully satisfied unless we envision the voice of Hot Rod Hundley calling at least a couple of the plays. I am a Jazz fan because of the love for the team that Larry H. Miller had. The dedication that Stockton and Malone played with and the love for the game that Hot Rod Hundley announced with. He is everything that the Utah Jazz represent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-Kef11ZZvc

So there I was, at work, joking around with one of my co-workers and celebrating his high test score he received on one of his CBT's. I received a text from a good friend a Jazz fan that lives in Utah, the text said, "Hot Rod died". Immediately my heart sank. I sat there staring at my phone in disbelief. four more text's followed almost simultaneously, stating the same thing. My mind immediately took me back to my youth. Listening to Hot Rod while watching Stockton "hippity hop" down the court, passing the ball to Malone, "while the cow hide globe hit home!!!!!!!!". In later years Hot Rod went to radio only. Craig Bohlerjack replaced him on T.V. I would turn on the game and mute the T.V. while tuning into the radio so that I could still listen to Hot Rod Hundley announce the game. No one delivered the good or the bad news like he did.
I was fortunate enough to get his autograph 3 times as a child. Each time I recall nothing more than meeting a true gentleman who was passionate about his job. In 1992 the all star game came to Utah. I was a child and I badly badly wanted to go to the All-star game. My parents worked very hard but didn't make very much money. My dad worked 1 job and 65 hours a week, and my mother worked 1 full time job and 1 part time job, just to put food on the table. We had very little. My mother had won tickets to the All star practice (day before the game). It was very entertaining, and they had a game with the "ex-stars". Hot Rod was apart of this game. He was old then, and even though it was played with a light heart, you could see Hot Rod (being as old as he was) wanted to prove himself. He didn't do well, but his passion for the game wouldn't allow him to give nothing less than 100%, and his few minutes on the court he gave just that.
He approached the game just like he did every time the microphone was in his hand. He wanted to give no less than 100%. Hot Rod Hundley, for many of us, is the voice of the Jazz. Even though he is no longer announcing the game play by play, he is still (and will be forever) the one that we hear while watching the game. He has covered the Jazz when we were still the New Orleans Jazz with Pistol Pete Maravich, all the way to Salt Lake City Utah to the retirement years of John Stockton and Karl Malone.
There is no more famous, "Stockton to Malone"-(In Hot Rod's voice) or "Horny, with the pull up rainbow jumper". But for many there will never be a time that we can watch a Jazz game and be fully satisfied unless we envision the voice of Hot Rod Hundley calling at least a couple of the plays. I am a Jazz fan because of the love for the team that Larry H. Miller had. The dedication that Stockton and Malone played with and the love for the game that Hot Rod Hundley announced with. He is everything that the Utah Jazz represent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-Kef11ZZvc

I remember listening to the Jazz when I was a kid and waiting for the 'Pizza Hut Pop Quiz' question to come up. We got a kick out of that when I was like 6-7, great memories as a kid. Then as I got older and watched the Jazz when they traded for Jeff Malone, then Hornacek, then the Finals, then the Boozer/Williams era... there was the one constant throughout the whole thing. Hot Rod will be missed, he couldn't be replaced as a broadcaster. He was perfect as a play-by-play man. That voice was awesome, just the way he would come up with things, whether they were silly or not, like "Andrei Kirilenko, the Russian prince that would grow up to be Tzar." or something like that. It was silly, but the way Hots would say it, it was alright. It was his, and was the perfect way to watch the Jazz play.

Hot Rod, no one will replace you. You will be greatly missed.

It's a sad day for basketball.

Hot Rod was a great announcer and a genuine dude. My dad had a few beers with him on a couple different occasions at some dive bar. Said the guy couldn't be nicer. Anyone that will have a few with my obnoxious drunken father is all right by me. Dad called in tears to talk with me... Sports fandom is weird and wonderful.

Sad to lose great guys that are attached to such great memories.

A rep-worthy post by Lakers_Slapper.

Not. The. Time.
-
Respect, please.:(

And a little out of context, freak. The rest of my post was nothing BUT respect. To me, there are ONLY two NBA announcers in the elite category (at least in my lifetime): Hot Rod and Chick. No one else comes close. They made the game come alive in the era when we couldn't see all the games on T.V.

Sorry for your loss Jazz fans....we're mourning with you. We knew him in a different way than you all. Utah is a long way away so I doubt many of us followed his broadcasting career. Loved reading through these quotes though. In WV and at WVU he is a legend for his play and his personality...he was "Hot Rod" and we're going to miss him.

If you're interested Mountaineer Nation is coming together to remember him on our boards. Lots of neat stories about his playing days...

https://westvirginia.scout.com/forums/2509-bgn-basketball/13765014-siap-hot-rod-hundley?s=159

Also as a side note WVU started a fund to have a bronze statue of him placed at the WVU Colloseum...the only other person with that honor...Jerry West, the logo. https://www.facebook.com/wvusports/photos/a.372032743156.155933.43207448156/10151668030903157/?type=1&theater

You also might enjoy this blast from the past...

https://www.wvusports.com/mediaplayer.cfm?streamID=3454

Found this quote from Gail Miller.

"Hot Rod was the voice of the Utah Jazz for 35 years and his voice was synonymous with Jazz radio," said owner Gail Miller. "The expressions he used throughout the game broadcasts are legendary. He had the unique ability to make the game come to life so that you felt as though you could see what was happening on the floor when listening to him call the games.""

Sorry for your loss Jazz fans....we're mourning with you. We knew him in a different way than you all. Utah is a long way away so I doubt many of us followed his broadcasting career. Loved reading through these quotes though. In WV and at WVU he is a legend for his play and his personality...he was "Hot Rod" and we're going to miss him.

If you're interested Mountaineer Nation is coming together to remember him on our boards. Lots of neat stories about his playing days...

https://westvirginia.scout.com/forums/2509-bgn-basketball/13765014-siap-hot-rod-hundley?s=159

Also as a side note WVU started a fund to have a bronze statue of him placed at the WVU Colloseum...the only other person with that honor...Jerry West, the logo. https://www.facebook.com/wvusports/photos/a.372032743156.155933.43207448156/10151668030903157/?type=1&theater

You also might enjoy this blast from the past...

https://www.wvusports.com/mediaplayer.cfm?streamID=3454

Yeah Man, nice to see a fellow mountaineer up in here.

The ghost of hot rod tipped that rudy free throw in... Hots is gone but still with us...

I remember listening to him and Boone talking about "closing the refrigerator door." Jeff Malone was shooting the Jazz back in the game, and he took what we would call a "heat-check" three to tie it or take the lead. It went in and Boone said, "you know how when you close the refrigerator door it creaks right when it shuts?" And Hots goes, "That was the creak!"

I ****ing didn't appreciate Hots enough, and I thought he was the greatest.

Hot Rod was the greatest. That's what makes Locke so hard to listen to. Hot Rod set the bar way too high.

I was camping all weekend but I brought a little radio with me so I could listen to Friday and Saturday night jazz games while I was in the mountains.

Listening to the game Friday night I found out the sad news. I got choked up...... felt like I lost a relative

I always thought that Hot Rod was the best in the business. Better than Chick Hearn, Johnny Most, etc. Maybe it was because he was in a small market that he never got the credit he deserved...

For whatever reason, this is one of my all time all-time favorite moments listening to Hot Rod: Back in the 80s, there was a game where Mel Turpin got a small shiner by his eye...as he was shooting free throws, the color commentator (forget who it was) said that a steak should be put over his eye to bring down the swelling. Hot Rod quickly responded, "You kidding me? If you put a steak on Big Mel's eye... he'll eat it!". LOL.

RIP

Some many memories. So many games as a boy listening to Hot Rodisms describing Stockton to Malone. Thank you for being a part of my life. You are the best.

Well said, this is so true for me. Whilst watching two of the best ever play the game was good by itself, his calling during the game made it even more special.

As Hot Rod said, "Stockton to Malone. You have to be able to say it like it's one word."

RIP.

Very sad to hear about Hot Rod Hundley the other day. RIP to a great broadcaster, a true professional
and a guy who was a GREAT, GREAT basketball player!! Never really a homer but brought excitement, fun,
passion and exuberance to each game he called. Definitely will be missed. From his days at WVU to his time on CBS tv
doing games to all his years with the Jazz. He was awesome. So much a part of it all.

In Kurt Kragthorpe's column on Hot Rod (https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2342114-155/kragthorpe-utah-jazz-legend-hot-rod) he says the Jazz should give everyone the chance to see the Hot Rod Hundley Media Center at the ESA):

And now, I'm insisting that the Jazz figure out a way for every fan to visit that room sometime this year. It's something they've got to see, to help them remember an unforgettable man.

Has anyone on here gotten to see the HRH Media Center?