What's new

Rockets going hard after Jimmy

So here is my breakdown of this trade.

For Minny:
- They want to dump Dieng while dumping Butler (3 years $16 per year)
- They don't want the salary from Knight (2 years $15 per year)
- They probably want PJ Tucker ($8 million per year bargain) or Eric Gordon (2 years $14 per year)
- In order to get the 4 picks, they probably have to take Knight
- They are willing to take Marquese Chriss

For Houston:
- They want to send out Knight to match most of Butler's salary
- They don't want to take back Dieng (3 years $16 per year)
- They don't want to send Gordon or Tucker
- They might not want to send out Chriss who gives them youth on an old team

NBA Rules:
- Knight and Chriss can't be traded until 10/31

What the trade will probably look like if it happens:

Jimmy Butler, and maybe 2nd rounders
for
Knight, Chriss, Houston 2019 1st, Houston 2021 1st, Houston 2023 Top 4 Protected 1st, Houston 2025 Top 4 Protected 1st

The first two picks will most likely be in the 24-30 range - the next two will most likely have some sort of protection associated with it. You can use them to trade down or bring in other assets; but at the end of the day Minnesota is giving up an all-star for several unknown quantities and asking their fan base to accept the franchise pressing the re-set button yet again (Teague, KAT and Wiggins is a .500 team at best).

If I'm Minnesota I want immediate return. I'd ask Houston to bring in a third team to make the salaries work.

The first two picks will most likely be in the 24-30 range - the next two will most likely have some sort of protection associated with it. You can use them to trade down or bring in other assets; but at the end of the day Minnesota is giving up an all-star for several unknown quantities and asking their fan base to accept the franchise pressing the re-set button yet again (Teague, KAT and Wiggins is a .500 team at best).

If I'm Minnesota I want immediate return. I'd ask Houston to bring in a third team to make the salaries work.

If I'm Minnesota, I demand PJ Tucker and the 1st rounders. I think that guy is a perfect fit pretty much anywhere.

Except their coach/GM wants to win now and doesn’t give one eff about draft picks... this story was leaked for a reason... either to prod Miami or see if the message can get to ownership and bypass Thibs.

Well, the Wolves could always involve another team or two to get some instant depth. They're short at SG with Butler's departure - Jazz would gladly take a late-1st for Burks (and I'm sure there are other teams with a SG who would do it too). And MN would have three picks left and could involve another team if they wanted more depth.

Four 1sts for a cancer who doesn't want to play for their team is a no-brainer. If this is a real offer from Houston I can't even imagine what Wolves fans are saying about the delay.

Remember how relieved most of us were when we got one first for Kanter?

They do if they have a shred of intelligence.

They need to move Jimmy before this permanently scars KAT. It is clear this thing is hanging over him. T-Wolves would honestly be wise to do a full reset of front office and coach. Thibs has likely lost a lot of trust with KAT. Firing the coach he worked with last year out of the blue... siding with Jimmy. I know KAT signed, but mentally losing that guy would be a shame.

Well, the Wolves could always involve another team or two to get some instant depth. They're short at SG with Butler's departure - Jazz would gladly take a late-1st for Burks (and I'm sure there are other teams with a SG who would do it too). And MN would have three picks left and could involve another team if they wanted more depth.

Four 1sts for a cancer who doesn't want to play for their team is a no-brainer. If this is a real offer from Houston I can't even imagine what Wolves fans are saying about the delay.

Remember how relieved most of us were when we got one first for Kanter?

Right... but Thibs is their GM. He wants to win. I think part of him almost wants to get fired (he gets dem checks either way). Picks don't equal wins and moving those picks for other dudes isn't super easy... will take time and he wants to coach his team right now.

This came out because it got rejected. Either they want Miami to go higher or they flat out aren't going to deal Jimmy unless it is a win now move or complete highway robbery. We don't know the protections on the picks being offered either. If they are unprotected... then yes they are dumb for not making the move. This got leaked because Houston wants it out there. Maybe it fires Jimmy up or gets ownership/fanbase putting more pressure out there to get something done.

They need to move Jimmy before this permanently scars KAT. It is clear this thing is hanging over him. T-Wolves would honestly be wise to do a full reset of front office and coach. Thibs has likely lost a lot of trust with KAT. Firing the coach he worked with last year out of the blue... siding with Jimmy. I know KAT signed, but mentally losing that guy would be a shame.

totally agree. I'd trade Jimmy, fire Thibs, and see what's out there for Wiggins and Teague. ASAP.

totally agree. I'd trade Jimmy, fire Thibs, and see what's out there for Wiggins and Teague. ASAP.

I don't know how this got so effed up for them. I honestly thought Thibs was a good hire, but I would never give a guy coach and GM responsibilities. They had Kat, Wiggins, lavine, a lotto pick, cap space and other assets (like Rubio that netted a pick). They needed a Mike Malone type (just don't eff this up) coach and an average GM.... I guess wolves gonna wolf.

I don't know how this got so effed up for them. I honestly thought Thibs was a good hire, but I would never give a guy coach and GM responsibilities. They had Kat, Wiggins, lavine, a lotto pick, cap space and other assets (like Rubio that netted a pick). They needed a Mike Malone type (just don't eff this up) coach and an average GM.... I guess wolves gonna wolf.
I've always thought Thibs was overrated as a head coach. I think he's too old school. He's more Sloan than he is Snyder -- by a long shot. And I wouldn't give him GM duties in any scenario.

I've always thought Thibs was overrated as a head coach. I think he's too old school. He's more Sloan than he is Snyder -- by a long shot. And I wouldn't give him GM duties in any scenario.

I thought he was a defensive guru, but it turns out he is a one trick pony. Head coach is so much more than X's and O's now... some guys are better as assistants.

I’ve got a good thread coming up for the Wolves game in my regular season debut.

The Rockets have a window of maybe 2 more seasons with Harden and CP3 before CP starts declining. Adding Butler would be a good move for them and might extend their window longer. If they extend Butler to a big deal, they'll be capped out. So Harden, Butler, Capella and a declining CP3 will be their core for several years. Is that enough to really contend? Maybe. But it's better than falling off into oblivion.