What's new

Rodney Hood, a steal?

Jamezz

I say yes, he's showing some scoring consistency lately and looks like he could potentially become a reliable wing starter in our team. His shot is so elegant too, a thing of beauty. Also, people doubt about his health but his plantar issue hasn't come back for a while and it doesn't seem like it would be a big thing. Favors also had it last year and hasn't had it again. The other injuries were circumstantial, a concussion caused by an elbow to the head and gastrointestinal issues. I'd be more worried if it were a knee injury that kept lingering or something like that.

I have high hopes for this kid and I have no doubt this player development specialized coaching staff will get the best out of him. Not so sure now about throwing the big bucks at a wing player this free agency.

Thoughts?

If he can stay healthy he may be the steal of the draft.

DL with two stellar late 1st round picks in two years.

Gobert and Hood are fantastic pieces. Looks like they are our game changing D player and that elusive shooter opposite Hayward.

If he can stay healthy he may be the steal of the draft.

DL with two stellar late 1st round picks in two years.

Gobert and Hood are fantastic pieces. Looks like they are our game changing D player and that elusive shooter opposite Hayward.

If he stays healthy watch out. I am really geeked up for next season.

Rodney Hood is absolutely a steal. I'm not worried about his injuries at all. I think he just had some bad luck and that could happen to anyone. I don't think that it is necessary to try and bring in a big name (or somewhat big name) free agent this summer. I think the smartest thing we could do is hope for internal improvement with everyone finally knowing their roles. See how well our core meshes next season, and then make any upgrades the next off season if needed.
Guys like Middleton, Green, Butler making huge improvements and showing they could be worth max money. Who knows if one of our guys in Burks, Hood, or Exum makes a huge leap and we need to max them out at some point.

Rodney Hood is absolutely a steal. I'm not worried about his injuries at all. I think he just had some bad luck and that could happen to anyone. I don't think that it is necessary to try and bring in a big name (or somewhat big name) free agent this summer. I think the smartest thing we could do is hope for internal improvement with everyone finally knowing their roles. See how well our core meshes next season, and then make any upgrades the next off season if needed.
Guys like Middleton, Green, Butler making huge improvements and showing they could be worth max money. Who knows if one of our guys in Burks, Hood, or Exum makes a huge leap and we need to max them out at some point.

I tend to agree. The cuncussion is just bad luck. Same with the stomach bug. Other than that it has only been the foot injury and players heal from that all the time. None of his inuries/issues that caused him to miss games this year seems to be the type that can ruin a carrer.

Yeah, I'm to the point that the only vet I want to poach would be Carrol. If not him, then ride at the wing with what we have. Tomic is very important. f we can get him and don't have Carrol, pocket the remaining salary room and use it if we need to account for inuries during next year's playoff run.

Hood is fantastic. He's one of the few players I've ever got right in the draft (I thought the Jazz should have picked him at 8 back when that's the range I thought the Jazz were picking in last year). The fact they got him in the 20s is a major, major steal. I couldn't believe he fell that much in the draft. Guess we should thank Belmont for ruining his perception.

The Jazz are so damn good at drafting in the 20's that DL should see if he can trade this year's pick for a pick in that range.

Really wish we could have seen healthy Rodney all year. He has something really special to his game. I thought he was just a shooter coming in this year, but he can get his own shot in the midrange almost anytime he wants. He hits it a good clip too. He has a pace that just seems to create separation between him and his guy and he gets a lot of elevation on his jumper.

He has also improved on D. Don't think he'll be a shut down defender, but he was pretty bad in SL. His on ball D is pretty good... his rotations and help D aren't great, but he'll learn.

If Burks and Hood were healthy all year would we still think we need another guy to come in and take rotation minutes? I don't think we would. I would like to draft one of the wings in the draft and bring them along slowly with the leftover 15ish minutes per night that are left after Hayward, Hood, and Burks get their time. Keep Ingles as he is the perfect 4th/5th wing guy.

Ditto the remarks on his health issues being a fluke rather than chronic. The worry will change to whether we can afford him...

Sent from the JazzFanz app

The Jazz are so damn good at drafting in the 20's that DL should see if he can trade this year's pick for a pick in that range.

I would trade #10/11/12 pick for a #20 - 25 pick in this year's draft PLUS another first rounder in 2017. We have plenty of youth this year. Probably don't need a high talent guy (although I am happy if we stay greedy and get one). But another team like Dallas might be willing to do a 2 for 1 to move up in the draft and pick up a player they can groom with their aged roster (a la Kawhi Leonard w/ Spurs).

I would probably even throw in our 2015 late second round pick to sweeten the deal.

Hood just 'gets it'. Only injuries could prevent him from having a 10+ year career.

What a complete and total steal in the 20s. In back-to-back drafts, no less. ****ing Dennis Lindsey.

Hood just 'gets it'. Only injuries could prevent him from having a 10+ year career.

What a complete and total steal in the 20s. In back-to-back drafts, no less. ****ing Dennis Lindsey.

Whao whao whao

There will be no praising anything the Jazz FO has done on this forum. They suck, have mired us in medicrity and ensured that the jazz are a farm team for eternity!

I'm gonna enjoy running some posters over with my band wagon. I'll blame it on a hand cramp affecting my steering.

Hood reminds me a bit of Wes Matthews in his first year. He seems good to very good in a lot of different areas, with no major weaknesses. Definitely a great pick.

I agree. I am a bit worried about the health issues as they bothered him in college too. I can't find anything that diagnoses his nausea issue... wonder what is up with that. The bigger issues are the foot problems. Really hoping he can play out the rest of the season without going to the locker room.

Not saying he can't be relied on, but I don't think the issues can be dismissed as merely flukey. I think he'll play more games next year, but may be a guy that is never an iron man.

If he stays healthy I think we're good to go. His game is gorgeous, but he's far from proven he can stay healthy.

We share the same birthday so I already know he's a bawse.

Let's not go overboard here...since AK47 (and not counting Hood), these are the names of players the Jazz drafted in the 20s: Scott Padgett, Deshawn Stevenson, Raul Lopez, Pavel Podkolzin, Morris Almond, Kosta Koufos, Eric Maynor, Gorgui Dieng. Other than a couple of career backup role players, nothing to be that impressed about.

. I don't think that it is necessary to try and bring in a big name (or somewhat big name) free agent this summer. I think the smartest thing we could do is hope for internal improvement with everyone finally knowing their roles. See how well our core meshes next season, and then make any upgrades the next off season if needed.

Agreed. We should only go after someone who is clearly superior, young and established. (who the heck fits that bill?)

If we don't go after a FA, we keep cap flexibility in order that we can leverage for future assets (eat an expiring in exchange for a protected first in order to facilitate a deal. The whole Warriors thing to a smaller degree).

Let's not go overboard here...since AK47 (and not counting Hood), these are the names of players the Jazz drafted in the 20s: Scott Padgett, Deshawn Stevenson, Raul Lopez, Pavel Podkolzin, Morris Almond, Kosta Koufos, Eric Maynor, Gorgui Dieng. Other than a couple of career backup role players, nothing to be that impressed about.

I think he meant in the DL era.