What's new

Rondo anyone?

Now I'm not advocating signing Rondo, just playing Devil's Advocate. Do you think it would at least be prudent for the Jazz to talk to Rondo? His limitations aren't physical, and if he could get back to top form again, he would be a steal. There is no doubt that when he was at his best that he was probably the best defensive PG in the last 20 years. If he could buy into Quin's system and play under control, we would become instant contenders, and it would give Dante time to develop.

But maybe he is just too far gone, mentally. I just don't know enough about him or what went wrong with him to make a good judgment.
Even if Rondo was "at his best" he's a bad fit for this team. We have a starting PF/C combo that lack for spreading the floor. Adding an absolute non-shooting at any other position is a bad idea.
BTW even at his best Rondo was hugely overrated because of his far superior teammates.

Interesting. I explained exactly why I don't like him but you say I should have deleted that part of my post because you believe Snyder has some magical ability to fix personality disorders, and then you suggest that my post is insufficient and you are waiting for people to actually tell you why or why not they don't like Rondo. Sounds like you have your mind made up and you are just begging for people to support your unstated position that this would be a good idea.

Even if Snyder is the greatest rehab psychologist on earth I don't think it's a good use of resources to have him babysitting Rondo. I think it would be a much better strategy to let Rondo become a headache for one of our rivals.

I liked what you said there at the end, I can stand behind that quote word for word. Fun I got 5 pages of troll out of this, but yeah from Rondo's past I couldn't actually see him meshing well with our current roster, maybe if he had the same talents but name wasn't Rondo. I still will stand behind the fact I do have faith in QS and DL in every aspect of their position, I think they're BiS for our franchise, probably even in league.

I don't think we will have an outcome solution to our PG problem this offseason, I feel like they're just going to continue to develop Exum/Burke/Burks/Cotton, They're not the best, but far from the worst. They're not Earl Watson or Jamall Tinsley (God bless those guys, but daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.)

I honestly thought we'd get Tomic over, that crushed my heart a little.

No wing player or PG's that can't shoot.
We have our version of the twin towers.
We need spacing.
I don't like ball dominate point guards that think they are the only playmaker.
Even Stocktom would go set picks and be on the roll.

I liked what you said there at the end, I can stand behind that quote word for word. Fun I got 5 pages of troll out of this, but yeah from Rondo's past I couldn't actually see him meshing well with our current roster, maybe if he had the same talents but name wasn't Rondo. I still will stand behind the fact I do have faith in QS and DL in every aspect of their position, I think they're BiS for our franchise, probably even in league.

I don't think we will have an outcome solution to our PG problem this offseason, I feel like they're just going to continue to develop Exum/Burke/Burks/Cotton, They're not the best, but far from the worst. They're not Earl Watson or Jamall Tinsley (God bless those guys, but daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.)

I honestly thought we'd get Tomic over, that crushed my heart a little.
Thank you for self-identifying yourself as a troll. Most trolls would never admit that.

What does BiS mean?

One thing I hate about the offseason are the endless trade proposals for us to acquire talented but completely overrated players.

Back in the day it was Corey Maggette and Lamar Odom. Today it appears that Rondo is this player. He would be a disaster for us. Move along

I love that we're on page 5 of this thread. It should have been locked after the first several "no" responses.

Even if Rondo was "at his best" he's a bad fit for this team. We have a starting PF/C combo that lack for spreading the floor. Adding an absolute non-shooting at any other position is a bad idea.
BTW even at his best Rondo was hugely overrated because of his far superior teammates.
Great post. I felt the same about Rondo. High assists because he had players that always made their shots. Defense was good, but never to the point that I felt it made up for his offensive deficiencies.

And I agree about the need for floor spacing. We have playmakers in our wings. All we need are PG's who can hit 3's and guard the opposing PG on the other end...and who don't think they are Kobe Bryant and have to take a ton of shots...and yes, I mean you, Trey!

I thought someone on this site coined the MAAT phrase, but it came from this article. Is Rondo past his prime because of injuries or attitude? He's only 29. Jerry West didn't reach his prime until he was 30. The article made it sound like he just burned himself out. Maybe it's similar to what happened with AK. He had a few good years and then circumstances (injuries, situation, different teammates, etc) led to his decline before his time.

I don't agree though that his teammates made him good. In fact, when the Celts won that championship, he was the best player on that team, and primarily because of his extraordinary defense.

Last edited:
I resisted reading this thread for nearly a week but couldn't take it any longer.

Utah and Rondo, Rondo and Utah, would never work. Rondo is in for a rude awakening no matter where he goes. Rondo was looking at a big day before his injury in Boston. He was posting good numbers and was proving himself to be an unexpected elite pg in the NBA. After showing consistency at an elite level he went through a period where he was riddled with injuries over a long period of time. He has yet to be the player that he once was, however still feels like he needs to receive a big payday. I can't see any team paying him out big for what he did in the past and definitely would not want the Utah Jazz to be that team.

There's an article in the General Sports section, a thread which I kinda went off in, but it still is worth reading just to get inside the guy's head to a degree, because it seems to clearly be his head that gets in the way. If a guy tears his shoulder or blows a knee, you expect to find him on the DL, not the court. Well, Rondo has both emotional and intellectual issues(too smart for his own good) that can be that bad. Take your own sweet time bringing the ball up? And who is it you think you are again, Rajon? These personality issues didn't keep him from helping the Celtics win a championship, but not much has worked well with this guy since. Rivers the only coach who could deal with him at all. At the least, any team chemistry is in trouble; there are not many Kevin Garnett's in the world who can just embrace their "little brother" when he's determined to be a prick at every turn.

We already have a poor-shooting PG who only looks to pass and plays very good defense. Fortunately he has a good attitude, is just 19 so still hope for improvement AND he's very cheap for the next 3 years. Heck...I'll even take Burke over Rondo. I never liked him that much and now he's shown himself to be a real cancer.

Rondo is past his prime, a bit old and with recent injury. He can't shoot, not just 3pt. His FT is poor. Defense is poor. Why add one more poor shooting pg with a bad attitude and aging? Why not consider Jimmer then? Much younger, great shooter, good attitude, and eager to play. LOL. It is not his D any worse than Rondo. LOL.

Rondo is past his prime, a bit old and with recent injury. He can't shoot, not just 3pt. His FT is poor. Defense is poor. Why add one more poor shooting pg with a bad attitude and aging? Why not consider Jimmer then? Much younger, great shooter, good attitude, and eager to play. LOL. It is not his D any worse than Rondo. LOL.
He's eager to play because he sucks ***. And nobody else in the league wants him to play. And did you just compare Jimmer's defense to Rondo? You can't be serious.