What's new

Rookie Coach vs. Rookie Coach: How did they stack up?

franklin

Quin's record:

1. Lets Carmelo brutalize Hayward all night long. Why no switches? No wonder the Jazz have the worst defense in the league.

2. Cannot draw up an inbound play to get the ball to anyone besides the worst free throw shooter on the floor.

3. Cannot draw up a play to get off a decent shot with a full 2.3 seconds. Jazz get lucky with a wild shot.

4. Continues to play Chucker A. Biles over Dante Exum, the number 1 rookie of the year according to ESPN.

I have not been impressed by Quinn. This game shouldn't have been as close as it was if it were better coaching imo. And he was always playing Exum with either **** lineups, played him as a SG, or had Burks/Hayward play PG instead. I'm pretty sure this game didn't develop Dante at all. It probably just solidified in Dante's mind that he needs to become a better shooter before he can have any real impact when put in these types of situations.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 things bothered me:

1. You have to make Melo a passer. Force him to do something else.

2. Jazz need to spread the floor and iso when Burks draws a matchup like Prigioni. Burks is a better iso player than pick and roll player, and the Jazz were getting nothing with that lineup (Exum-Burks-Ingles-Booker-Gobert) on the floor. There's enough shooting there to make it work IMO.

Quin's record:

1. Lets Carmelo brutalize Hayward all night long. Why no switches? No wonder the Jazz have the worst defense in the league.

2. Cannot draw up an inbound play to get the ball to anyone besides the worst free throw shooter on the floor.

3. Cannot draw up a play to get off a decent shot with a full 2.3 seconds. Jazz get lucky with a wild shot.

4. Continues to play Chucker A. Biles over Dante Exum, the number 1 rookie of the year according to ESPN.

5. Wins game

2 things bothered me:

1. You have to make Melo a passer. Force him to do something else.

2. Jazz need to spread the floor and iso when Burks draws a matchup like Prigioni. Burks is a better iso player than pick and roll player, and the Jazz were getting nothing with that lineup (Exum-Burks-Ingles-Booker-Gobert) on the floor. There's enough shooting there to make it work IMO.

Why did he let him ISO just outside of the paint for the entire 2nd half? It was maddening watching one of the best ISO at that spot going up against an undersized defender for 24 minutes. I don't get it.

Still very high on Quinn but his end of game plays haven't impressed me.

Still very high on Quinn but his end of game plays haven't impressed me.

Are we ever successful when Hayward lets the clock run down to 7 seconds and then tries to go 1-on-1?

As for not helping on star players, perhaps Quin is either a) teaching the team to walk before they can run by just concentrating right now on basic defense and switching or b) following that old philosophy that star players will always get their points, but don't let the other players beat you.

I though Hayward actually played very good defense on 'Melo. He made some great shots, though.

Utah has been in all these games on the road. This is a fundamentally different team than last year. And it's due to coaching. Corbin was terrible. But he got us Exum.

Sent from the JazzFanz app

Last year under Corbin it wasn't until December 2nd when we had our 4th win.

Yeah, nah, Snyder just isn't a very good coach.

Utah has been in all these games on the road. This is a fundamentally different team than last year. And it's due to coaching. Corbin was terrible. But he got us Exum.

Sent from the JazzFanz app

I honestly can't think of anything else he got us that was good, LOL ...

Last year under Corbin it wasn't until December 2nd when we had our 4th win.

Yeah, nah, Snyder just isn't a very good coach.
I wonder what Snyder could have done with Lucas, Tinsley and Garrett as the PG's. A big part of the improvement is due to personnel, including having better players and having existing ones step up from last season (Hayward & Favors especially).

But yes, I do like the improvements Quin has made to the offensive system.