What's new

Roster Building From Here - FA and Summer of 2023

On his ESPN 700 interview yesterday, Tony Jones said that if a star becomes available this offseason that the Jazz view as a #1 option, they will be very aggressive using their assets and cap space to try and trade for him. He thinks they may trade the Nets/Sixers pick for a veteran. Says the two spots they're going to look to fill in the offseason are starting point guard and a starting forward, could be either a small forward or power forward because they are comfortable with Lauri playing either position. They really like Jarace Walker in the draft because he can also play either the 3 or the 4 and they think he would be a really good fit next to Lauri. He also mentioned Brandon Miller, Anthony Black, Cam Whitmore and Nick Smith as guys for Jazz fans to keep an eye on.

They don't want a long drawn out rebuild, they believe they can rebuild on the fly using their trade assets.

Not a fan of the free agents I’ve seen mentioned. I’d be up for using some available cap for a flyer on someone like Ball.

I've thought Ainge might like Jarace quite a bit. He's picked a few guys with bigger/stockier body types over the years--G. Williams, Smart, Ojeleye, Yabusele. A few of them had questions around their shooting coming into the draft, and Danny has been willing to take a chance on them. Walker would seem to fit that mold.

The more I look into this years free agency group the less I like it for the Jazz. More to do with the fit for our roster (age and skillset) rather than how good some of the players are.

With that in mind we should be looking to take on salary in return for draft capital.

A few ideas:

Jazz/Mavs trade:

Jazz In: THJ, Davis Bertans, 2025 first
Jazz Out: Absorbed with cap space

Mavs In: Cap space
Mavs Out: THJ, Davis Bertans, 2025 first

Reason: Mavs use cap space to re-sign Kyrie and add a third star to the mix. Wonder if they could get Draymond? Jazz replace JC with THJ at less cost than JC new contract, while Bertans won't play enough to have his option in 2024/25 taken up.

Jazz/Miami trade:

Jazz In: Lowry, Robinson, First round draft pick
Jazz Out: KO, maybe Clarkson in a sign and trade (don't know the exact rules with sign and trades)

Miami In: KO, Clarkson
Miami Out: Lowry, Robinson, First round draft pick

Reason: Hero deal kicks in next season and they will be well and truly over the luxury tax, at least with KO and possibly Clarkson they have a better roster. Vet PG who won't improve us, Robinson deal isn't ideal but once salary cap increases won't look as bad and first rounder to add to the collection.

The plan should be to have a decent roster next year that will struggle to win games purely due to how strong the west is. Thus keeping our pick and having a top 10 pick to go with hopefully a top 7 pick this offseason in addition to hopefully a top 15 pick via Minny. Offer Brooklyn a package for Mikal Bridges and then go all in on a star guard.

Ideally it looks something like this PG? - Bridges - Jarace Walker - Lauri - Kessler.

The more I look into this years free agency group the less I like it for the Jazz. More to do with the fit for our roster (age and skillset) rather than how good some of the players are.

With that in mind we should be looking to take on salary in return for draft capital.

A few ideas:

Jazz/Mavs trade:

Reason: Mavs use cap space to re-sign Kyrie and add a third star to the mix. Wonder if they could get Draymond? Jazz replace JC with THJ at less cost than JC new contract, while Bertans won't play enough to have his option in 2024/25 taken up.

Jazz/Miami trade:

Jazz Out: KO, maybe Clarkson in a sign and trade (don't know the exact rules with sign and trades)

Reason: Hero deal kicks in next season and they will be well and truly over the luxury tax, at least with KO and possibly Clarkson they have a better roster. Vet PG who won't improve us, Robinson deal isn't ideal but once salary cap increases won't look as bad and first rounder to add to the collection.

The plan should be to have a decent roster next year that will struggle to win games purely due to how strong the west is. Thus keeping our pick and having a top 10 pick to go with hopefully a top 7 pick this offseason in addition to hopefully a top 15 pick via Minny. Offer Brooklyn a package for Mikal Bridges and then go all in on a star guard.

Ideally it looks something like this PG? - Bridges - Jarace Walker - Lauri - Kessler.
I and from the sound of it the Jazz have 0 interest in tanking next season. If we are going the route you suggested we should also trade Lauri.

A few ideas:

Jazz/Mavs trade:

Jazz/Miami trade:

Dude... Danny Ainge just literally cleared cap. There was no question those trades were available during this deadline... but thats not the direction. He is not gonna stuff it again with Bertans and Robinson et al contracts.

I can tell you 100% sure they are not planning to tank next year. They will keep adding young talent and wait for FA/trade opportunities for key pieces.

On his ESPN 700 interview yesterday, Tony Jones said that if a star becomes available this offseason that the Jazz view as a #1 option, they will be very aggressive using their assets and cap space to try and trade for him. He thinks they may trade the Nets/Sixers pick for a veteran. Says the two spots they're going to look to fill in the offseason are starting point guard and a starting forward, could be either a small forward or power forward because they are comfortable with Lauri playing either position. They really like Jarace Walker in the draft because he can also play either the 3 or the 4 and they think he would be a really good fit next to Lauri. He also mentioned Brandon Miller, Anthony Black, Cam Whitmore and Nick Smith as guys for Jazz fans to keep an eye on.

They don't want a long drawn out rebuild, they believe they can rebuild on the fly using their trade assets.
Maybe Mitchell will ask out of Cleveland if they lose early in the playoffs.

Jokes aside who is an actual #1 that might ask to be traded? Brown is about the only one and I'm not quite sure he's worth going all in for.

Jokes aside who is an actual #1 that might ask to be traded? Brown is about the only one and I'm not quite sure he's worth going all in for.
Most likely based on rumors is Trae Young. Word has been all season that if Hawks current iteration falls way short again he might ask out next summer. He also indicated that directly when encouraging the front office to make moves for DL (they added Saddiq Bey, yay!). They are depleted of resources and the value of their players is going down.

Mavs are in a tight spot as well with Luka. They are running out of ways to build around him after messing up with Brunson and Porzingis and if Kyrie experiment fails and he walks in FA, that is a theoretical possibility. Reports saying "front offices are monitoring Mavericks situation" are also indication that there is buzz around the league executives about it.

Most likely based on rumors is Trae Young. Word has been all season that if Hawks current iteration falls way short again he might ask out next summer. He also indicated that directly when encouraging the front office to make moves for DL (they added Saddiq Bey, yay!). They are depleted of resources and the value of their players is going down.

Mavs are in a tight spot as well with Luka. They are running out of ways to build around him after messing up with Brunson and Porzingis and if Kyrie experiment fails and he walks in FA, that is a theoretical possibility. Reports saying "front offices are monitoring Mavericks situation" are also indication that there is buzz around the league executives about it.
Trae is a hell no from me. Luka would be an easy yes even though I hate watching him play. But I doubt that's happening this next year.

For a longer list of possible superstar movements I made one earlier after the Kyrie trade... and one of them has already come true.
The ultimate conspiracy theorist would say the next offseason looks like this:
  • Kyrie doesnt sign with Mavs, becomes FA.
  • KD gets sick of Nets show, and asks for a trade.
  • Atlanta fails to make a splash, Trae asks for a trade.
  • Luka is pissed off about Kyrie experiment and Dallas bad situation and asks for a trade.
  • Harden asks for a trade (long been speculated, and All-Star snub likely didn't help here), leaving Embiid in a questionnable position.
I dont think all those storylines pan out, but I wouldnt be surprised to see 2 or 3 of them come true. I ranked them in what I think is the order of likeliness.
Could add Lebron to the list of course, if it wasnt such a gimmie he always has that speculation following him.

Last edited:
For a longer list of possible superstar movements I made one earlier after the Kyrie trade... and one of them has already come true.

Could add Lebron to the list of course, if it wasnt such a gimmie he always has that speculation following him.
That's solid list of players I am not interested in except Luka who will not be available next year.

The whole wait for a star to ask out seems like a flawed strategy to me, but maybe this is where we are at in the NBA. Superstars like Luka are going to have leverage to pick where they want to go in a trade request since the price to acquire them is going to be too high for a player that doesn't want to be with your franchise.

The whole wait for a star to ask out seems like a flawed strategy to me, but maybe this is where we are at in the NBA. Superstars like Luka are going to have leverage to pick where they want to go in a trade request since the price to acquire them is going to be too high for a player that doesn't want to be with your franchise.
I don't love that method for us. Especially because I think the next round of "stars" are going to be Dame, Beal, Lavine... and those contracts really would concern me.

I also don't believe any word out of the front office. To quote a Jazzfanz legend @Maneesh "they lieds". I don't know that they have some detailed master plan... I just don't know that it can work that way. I think they will be opportunistic but the message that "hey... we could flip the switch at any time and buy a star" is better than saying we will build through the draft and "just wait until you see the guys we pick in 2027 and 2029". Don't get me wrong I think those picks can and will get moved... at least some of them. I just think it will be to move up in the draft or to get starter level talent on good deals... Think like Kevin Huerter last year.

If we hit with this year's picks it will be huge to the medium and long term future of the franchise.

Why? Happens like every other year.

I don't love that method for us. Especially because I think the next round of "stars" are going to be Dame, Beal, Lavine... and those contracts really would concern me.

I also don't believe any word out of the front office. To quote a Jazzfanz legend @Maneesh "they lieds". I don't know that they have some detailed master plan... I just don't know that it can work that way. I think they will be opportunistic but the message that "hey... we could flip the switch at any time and buy a star" is better than saying we will build through the draft and "just wait until you see the guys we pick in 2027 and 2029". Don't get me wrong I think those picks can and will get moved... at least some of them. I just think it will be to move up in the draft or to get starter level talent on good deals... Think like Kevin Huerter last year.

If we hit with this year's picks it will be huge to the medium and long term future of the franchise.
I agree... there is no plan. Danny is an opportunist and wants to keep options open... but I think if that opportunity arises he is already prepared to dive balls deep into it (basketballs).

I dont think he would bite on those types of guys you mentioned.. Dame is for sure good enough but our window would shrink too much with his age.