What's new

Rubio traded to Jazz

Starting line up: Rubio, Hood, Hayward, Favors, Gobert. Rubio will make our offense run. Lobs to Gobert, setting up Favors, and Hayward. Hood will have to step up and be the 2nd scoring threat with Hayward. We are losing George Hills scoring ability, for Rubio play making ability. He could make our team run even better or because of lack of shooting we struggle more that last year. It will be interesting to see what happens. He's never been a winner, but his heart and desire to win seem real.

I don't think there's much chance of Favors starting with Gobert and Rubio. Quin doesn't even like only having only 3 shooters, so I don't think he'll roll with 2.

I love me some Favors, but he could be moved soon to bring in a stretch 4.

According to reports George Hill and the Spurs have broken off talks. Who is left to pay him?
When he turned down that extension for fair money Imo I soured on him. What is his deal? He was injured half of last year, and we gave him a good offer. Now it seems like he will take less.

The Rubio move is good on paper, saves money, and adds a starting PG to the team. but, does it make us better than last year? Does it add more wins?
Those are the things I care about.

Denver and one other team.... can't remember the other

I don't think there's much chance of Favors starting with Gobert and Rubio. Quin doesn't even like only having only 3 shooters, so I don't think he'll roll with 2.

I love me some Favors, but he could be moved soon to bring in a stretch 4.

A stretch 4 would be nice, esp with Rubio, but I'm still excited to see Favors in a make or break contract year. He's going to bring it. His midrange game has been good at times.
If he truly is healthy then I have no problems with him in the starting line up. If we get that same hobbled old man Favors of last year yeah that would be a nightmare. I see Rubio helping Favors. He will set up Favors nicely all all over the court. I still feel that Favors is going to be great this season, and make us consider bringing him back.

You make a good point though. It is risky to not have more shooting, and there could be more to this master plan.

Another thing to like about this trade. . . OKC getting PG13 this afternoon likely de-values the pick that the Jazz gave up for Rubio. Had Utah waited until after the Paul George trade it might have ended up costing more.

[TWEET]881028420959739904[/TWEET]

https://twitter.com/tribjazz/status/881028420959739904

Not necessarily. I think they have other moves they want to make. But right now their focus is Hayward and Ingles.

As it should be.

Step 1 - Sign Hayward to a 5 year max contract.
Step 2 - Sign Jingles to a fair-market 4 year deal - or match any reasonable offer.
Step 3 - Trade Boris Diaw's non-guaranteed contract for PG or PF depth.
Step 4 - Use the MLE to add more PG or PF depth.
Step 5 - Sign a surprising veteran to a minimum contract because the Jazz are quietly becoming a contender.
Step 6 - Rehab Alec Burks trade value and move him for cap relief and a future draft pick before the deadline.

I'd love to add another star, but unless it's for Hood/Exum and multiple draft picks at the deadline, I don't see a deal to be made. Maybe Favors expiring contract for somebody's Bird rights. Bird rights become valuable again when the salary cap stabilizes and **** gets tight again.

Last edited:
I think this deal gets better the more time passes. Rubio is cheaper, younger and at least for last year healthier. The money and toe issue were deal killers for me wanting Bell back. I don't see ever being the same player. Rubio is entering his prime just like Hayward. If Rubio can continue his shot then it is a steal. Just giving up a pick is a steal considering his ability as a passer.

I'll never fault a guy for going after the money when they can. These guys have a small window to make it. More power to Hill if he can get one last great contract for himself.
Eh. Their window is the same as mine, yours, or anyone. They can continue working after basketball. They have millions that they can invest. They can buy businesses or start their own. Plenty of options for them to continue to make money after the nba.

But I get your overall point and agree.

I read that discussions could begin with your own FA's at 10:01am on the 30th. If that is true, then I assume the DL's offer to Hill was rejected; hence, the Rubio trade.

Top priority for DL during the off-season was to secure a veteran point guard. Done.

Now he can turn his attention to shoring up the other positions. Hmm ... what to do with 5 point guards....

Feels like a worst of all scenarios trade.

If Hayward stays it makes giving up on a stretch 4 seem crazy. Spacing....
If Hayward leaves we try to become an 8 seed?

Either way, DL is effectively giving up Exum being a pg. This is my real concern. DL wants X cause he sees potential with his length and speed - but doesn't want him as a full time pg. A future sf or sg.... I just hate this thinking without giving him an extended run at it.

And I say this in terms of FIT. I really like Rubio the player in a vacuum.

Eh. Their window is the same as mine, yours, or anyone. They can continue working after basketball. They have millions that they can invest. They can buy businesses or start their own. Plenty of options for them to continue to make money after the nba.

But I get your overall point and agree.

This is laughably simplified and wrong.

Seems that Jazz fans only remember the Honeymoon period George Hill (first 12-13 games here) where he couldn't miss, and everything he did made us think that he was the best point guard in the NBA, because he was. I appreciate that he played through injury, and I think he was a good player, but Rubio is a better team player, and a better defender. This trade is awesome for what the Jazz got and otherworldly when you consider what they gave. Rubio will shoot in the high 30's on threes here. I hated George turning down the Jazz offer of around 4 at 20, which even then was way more than he deserved. Over thirty, injured, years of evidence suggesting that your'e a good player but not great, and you turn down 80m guaranteed money, enjoy the lottery.