What's new

Rudy Gobert 5 years, $205M

For the way the system is setup this is not an overpay. Rudy could have gotten more but the truth is this is a lot of money for one player. There is ONLY a handful of players in the league who actually deserve the supermax so it is not a slight to say Rudy isn't a supermax player but again no one on this board would turn the money down. So now we know what the team is going to look like the next 3 years. I am glad is staying with the Jazz, i will let the ownership worry about the money. It is ironic how some people complain about the money and then criticize the Jazz for not wanting to pay the tax. This contract shows that the new ownership is serious about building a winning team even if it means they pay the luxury tax.

I mean yes, my point was just you didn’t see Donovan say much of anything in regards to his extension and that’s not like what he’s been for his first 3 years here. Rudy for sure got over-paid, I think you can argue Donovan’s contract worth up to $195 million is also an overpay when a team like the Lakers is paying the same for AD or Lebron. I guess I just agree it is weird Donovan really didn’t say anything at all or celebrate his extension in a way that gave the vibes “I’m so happy to be here”.

Ummm, I wouldn't be happy either with the blowback he got. He must have been hurt by it, but he has been tough enough not to complain which admireable. Don has a ton of character, don't worry about all this stuff you don't see, just trust he will be the same awesome dude that he is.

It's funny how some of yall see Rudy as some hometown loyalty story and Donovan as some sort of mercenary.

They both signed 5 year max deals with 5th year player options. Rudy got more money. Neither of them tested free agency. Neither of them made any irresponsible demands.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app
Why do you constantly do this... why do you pit them against each other... I’m pretty sure they are on the same team.

Showering praise and adoration on one guy doesn’t mean we are making a dig on the other.

It's funny how some of yall see Rudy as some hometown loyalty story and Donovan as some sort of mercenary.

They both signed 5 year max deals with 5th year player options. Rudy got more money. Neither of them tested free agency. Neither of them made any irresponsible demands.

You understand the difference between a restricted free agent and an unrestricted free agent, right?

Why do you constantly do this... why do you pit them against each other... I’m pretty sure they are on the same team.

Showering praise and adoration on one guy doesn’t mean we are making a dig on the other.
Are you reading the thread? People are painting Rudy as some sacrificing favorite son while Don is getting disrespected as some guy who didn't social media enough.

I'm not saying Don over Rudy but it's definitely not Rudy over Don either.

Are you reading the thread? People are painting Rudy as some sacrificing favorite son while Don is getting disrespected as some guy who didn't social media enough.

It’s constant my man. Rudy is loyal... I get he got a shot ton of money but he also wants to be here and see this through. There was another guy who turned down our extra dough and didn’t call us back. He is homegrown and deserves celebration. I have like 3 or 4 guys on ignore because they are idiots... I’d suggest the same for you because they’ve been slanderous against DM for no reason before. Don’t fall for they BS.

This is great news. Gobert said all the right things. This team is incredibly DEEP - especially with Conley, Clarkson and Favors running the second unit. Those are three starting caliber players. DM running the show and breaking down the defense, Rudy beneath the basket, and three flat out shooters is the way to go. For the first time since the Stockton to Malone days - I truly believe it’s possible.

I see us as the second seed in the West this season - and I see us winning a championship within the next 5 years.

There was a video where he jumped in a pool with his clothes on. We weren’t in season then and wasn’t available to the media in an official capacity.
With as active as Donovan is on social media, and as smart as he is with that kind of stuff, not saying anything is kinda saying everything in my opinion with how outward he has been for years. His demeanor has changed over the past year, and what was there just isn’t anymore in my honest opinion. I would jump in a pool too with that contract he got. At the same time I just never saw anything that jumped out to me as an I’m happy to be here kind of thing. He’s happy about the money for sure but the Donovan that was there isn’t anymore in regards to this organization, city, and fanbase. He’s here for a bit though, and they have a chance to be good for the next little bit for sure. It’s just the Jazz gave Donovan the best contract they could possibly give him, and it didn’t even feel like he acknowledged the support from the franchise or fanbase even a little bit.

Last edited:
With as active as Donovan is on social media, and as smart as he is with that kind of stuff, not saying anything is kinda saying everything in my opinion with how outward he has been for years. His demeanor has changed over the past year, and what was there just isn’t anymore in my honest opinion. I would jump in a pool too with that contract he got. At the same time I just never saw anything that jumped out to me as an I’m happy to be here kind of thing. He’s happy about the money for sure but the Donovan that was there isn’t anymore in regards to this organization, city, and fanbase. He’s here for a bit though, and they have a chance to be good for the next little bit for sure.
Maybe he was too busy setting up scholarships for underprivileged kids to go to school.

I would have loved for him to take a bigger discount, but if I were him, I wouldn't have either. I also wonder how much is based on achievements like his last contract ($500k for 1st team, 250k defense rating less than 100, 250k rebounds per game (don't recall#, but don't think he ever met it), $1MM all-star-which he achieved once...

I'd rather pay Gobert a bit more than market, which is what the Jazz did, than potentially lose him for nothing. And I think he has been a bit underpaid on his last contract for the value he brings, so it all evens out. And honestly, I get tired of hearing how he is a limited player on offense. So what. Look at what he does for our offense. He sets amazing wide screens and also sucks defenders back on the roll to prevent the lob leaving our guys WIDE open. Few big men can do that the way Rudy can. And his defense anchors this team.

I'm excited to see what this team can do. I think management did most of the right things this offseason by trimming players that didn't bring enough value, and bringing guys in that hopefully can.

Our fans don't appreciate a damn thing. You'd think we would be grateful we have Don, Gobert, Clarkson, Bogdonavic, Conley and Favors.

No idea why we’re pitting Don vs Rudy. We have them both locked in for at least another five years. That’s something to be excited about. Does it really matter who is more of a loyal servant? This is some high school drama ****.

I feel like people these days care more about their opinion being validated more than anything. If they don’t like something the Jazz did, they want it to go poorly because people care more about being right than they care about the inning. This is the hot take/island culture the internet has created.

I think your take on general jazzfanz reaction is simply wrong.