What's new

Rudy Gobert sucks at basketball

Anyone else notice that the declining Gobert is still better than the peak of anyone else on the graph, or the variation in the start of the decline?
We can't acknowledge that, what's wrong with you? Goober sucks and everyone knows it and they know it so much I left the auto correct of his name to emphasize how much everyone knows it!

As a Jazz fan, when the initial trade went down I wanted it to be in the Jazz favor. I didn't necessarily want Rudy to suck, I just wanted it to be a "good trade".

This has surpassed it by miles. This is absurd. The pain hasn't even started for Minnesota. I feel gross.

All i know is Minnesota are gonna be a lot better than us for the next few years Doesn't matter what they traded away they have an absolute superstar who is only 21 years old
21 year old superstar living in Minnesota? Ya I'm sure he will love it there.

I have been thinking about this very thing all year, or perhaps just for the last month. Maybe it's just been this week. Well... just today.

Now that I think back, I'll just admit that it hasn't been on my radar. At all.

No. I'm up, and it's 10:26 pm. I walked into the kitchen, and forgot why I was there. I remember; just want a sandwich. Maybe some dijon.

Great thread.

I have been thinking about this very thing all year, or perhaps just for the last month. Maybe it's just been this week. Well... just today.

Now that I think back, I'll just admit that it hasn't been on my radar. At all.

No. I'm up, and it's 10:26 pm. I walked into the kitchen, and forgot why I was there. I remember; just want a sandwich. Maybe some dijon.

Great thread.

Dad . . ?

I think this Rudy decline is being overstated. He may be past his prime but I think he ages similar to Mutombo where he stays a really solid player into his mid 30's.

I think this Rudy decline is being overstated. He may be past his prime but I think he ages similar to Mutombo where he stays a really solid player into his mid 30's.

His defense last year was still very good by most metrics and part of how noticeable the decline has been is based on how great he has been his whole career. If he can flatten out the decline, then he will still be a very impactful player for awhile.

The physical decline has been happening for a couple of years now though. It took awhile for opponents to realize this, but now you can see there just isn't much fear from opponents trying to score inside on him any more.

I like Rudy quite a bit. I would love to see the old Rudy play again, or at least he can flatten out the decline. My guess is that at best we see glimpses of that guy throughout the year.

I wouldn’t ever say he sucks. He plays in the NBA so that alone means he doesn’t suck. But he has lost a huge step. Kessler last year made me realize how much he does that Gobert never did. Amazing time to be a Jazz fan

Yeah I guess, but it is a different game. The days of mutombo or Eaton plugging the lane in late career looks different with todays athletes snd spacing.

Yeah I guess, but it is a different game. The days of mutombo or Eaton plugging the lane in late career looks different with todays athletes snd spacing.

Mutombo had a significantly better offensive game than Rudy, for one he had a jump hook.

I wouldn’t ever say he sucks. He plays in the NBA so that alone means he doesn’t suck. But he has lost a huge step. Kessler last year made me realize how much he does that Gobert never did. Amazing time to be a Jazz fan

I think when a person says an nba player sucks they are saying so relative to other nba players.

No one thinks rudy would suck playing in their local church ball league.

I doubt Rudy averages a double double in the 90s
Okay, well, I mean... Shawn Bradley averaged double-doubles in the 90s (who has a 20.4 BMI compared to Rudy's 25.1). But, since the numbers game couldn't support Mutombo>Rudy argument, I guess we can pivot that argument to the less-testable theoretical realm.

Let's see if we can contextualize any numbers in a way that would illuminate the theoretical.

Mutombo's career points per 36 minutes is 11.5.
Rudy's career points per 36 minutes is 15.

30% more.

The 90s? Okay,

The average points scored per game over the course of Mutombo's career is 98.1.
The average points scored per game over the course of Gobert's career is 107.6.

Scoring is up 9.7%.

Should we correct for pace?

Per 100 possessions, Mutombo scored 16.7 points.
Per 100 possessions, Rudy scored 20.9 points.

Rudy scores 25% more per possession.

Offensive rating per 100 possessions?
Rudy 127
Dikembe 111

eFG%?
Rudy 65.4%
Dikembe 51.8%

This reminds me of a discussion Michael Scott had with an Indian guy when he worked at a call center. The Indian guy had a lot of work ethic and was showing up Michael, which led to the following discussion:

Vikram: I was a surgeon back home.
Michael Scott: Really?
Vikram: Yeah.
Michael Scott: Wonder what I would've been back home.
Vikram: Well, this is your home.
Michael Scott: I know, but I mean, it's so competitive here. What's the dollar worth in your land? Medical school must've cost, like, 40 bucks or a donkey or something.
Vikram: Uh, no.
Michael Scott: I would've been chief of surgery.

I bet Mutombo would be averaging 20 ppg in this era. Dat jump hook doe.