What's new

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books

I did read Sword of Shannara back in the day, but at the time it struck me as such a carbon copy of Tolkien that I resolved not to read any of the others. I have to admit it was compulsively readable, and I hear that the subsequent books aren't such blatant ripoffs. So it may be another series that deserves a revisit from me.

Ender's Game is still one of my very favorites. That and Watership Down are the two books that I recommend to anyone and everyone regardless of the genres they claim to enjoy or not enjoy. It's hard to go wrong with either of those.

Never read or even heard of Melanie Rawn.
I definitely still like Terry Brooks. Sword of Shannara did feel a little like Tolkien (but Much much easier to read) But the rest of his books are very enjoyable. I read all of his books as soon as they hit paperback.

For those who like Robin Hobb books, she's coming out with a new Fitz and Fool book in August of this year titled Fool's Assassin. And have to say I am majorly excited. Most of her other series have been meh for me, but I truly loved Fitz and Fool and am eager to see how this new series turns out.

The only other book I'm looking forward to reading is Patrick Rothfuss's Day 3 in the Kingkiller Chronicles. Who knows when it will be finished...

For those who like Robin Hobb books, she's coming out with a new Fitz and Fool book in August of this year titled Fool's Assassin. And have to say I am majorly excited. Most of her other series have been meh for me, but I truly loved Fitz and Fool and am eager to see how this new series turns out.

The only other book I'm looking forward to reading is Patrick Rothfuss's Day 3 in the Kingkiller Chronicles. Who knows when it will be finished...

Yes, my friend, that's the news I used to bump the thread. :)

And yeah, Rothfuss is definitely a good one. Books are good, and I follow his blog and have been making a few small donations to his annual charity fundraiser.

I really like A Wizard of Earthsea. The second one was interesting.... But I wasn't super interested in continuing with the series after that.

Sent from the JazzFanz app

I started reading Divergent this week. So far, its written pretty well and has an interesting story-line, but the author clearly seems to be a horny woman that feels repressed in her life situation based on how her characters interact.

Yes, my friend, that's the news I used to bump the thread. :)

And yeah, Rothfuss is definitely a good one. Books are good, and I follow his blog and have been making a few small donations to his annual charity fundraiser.

How do you rate books 2 and 3 compared to 1? I liked 1 quite a bit but my library doesn't carry the other two so I moved on.

I also kind of like the Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey. There are like 10 of them or so.

I started reading Divergent this week. So far, its written pretty well and has an interesting story-line, but the author clearly seems to be a horny woman that feels repressed in her life situation based on how her characters interact.

I really really liked the first 2 books in the series...... im about halfway through the third one and I don't like it very much

How do you rate books 2 and 3 compared to 1? I liked 1 quite a bit but my library doesn't carry the other two so I moved on.

Wait, are you talking about Rothfuss? First, the third one isn't out yet, Pat isn't even done writing it. As JT said, who knows when it will be done. But the other two were quite good, and the second better than the first. He improved his craft between books. You can actually tell in the first book that he wrote the "frame story" later as the writing is a bit tighter.

Wait, are you talking about Rothfuss? First, the third one isn't out yet, Pat isn't even done writing it. As JT said, who knows when it will be done. But the other two were quite good, and the second better than the first. He improved his craft between books. You can actually tell in the first book that he wrote the "frame story" later as the writing is a bit tighter.

Sorry, I meant The Farseer Trilogy.

Get on that, bro! Book 2 was my favorite of the trilogy... though since it's a continuous story anyway, you really gotta read 'em all. You're missing out.

Rothfuss? 3 is not out yet. 1 was one of my favorite fantasy books ever. 2 was very very good, but a little bit of a letdown for me based on how much I loved 1.

Heh, I just read this after my post. Different strokes, I guess.

So sorry, AP. I didn't even go back and read the whole thread before I posted about Hobb. It's funny that we're both anticipating this new series so much. Hope it's better than the Rainwild series, which doesn't begin to compare to Farseer or Tawny Man.

The old sci/fi thread we had going back on the old board I genuinely regret losing. Loved that thread. I used to go back and re-read it every few months, looking to see what everyone had recommended. Nice to check out new authors and see how your tastes aligned with other posters.

I liked book 1 by Rothfuss better than I liked book 2. Hate the whole story line with Denna.

As far as Farseer, I think the writing was strong in all 3 books. Worth searching out to read. The Tawny man trilogy is even better, as in really, really good.

And I love Dresden Files, kind of a guilty addiction. Skin Games is coming out in May

One of the suckiest things about being a fan of fantasy/sci fi series is the long wait for the latest book in a series to come out. Kills me to have to wait so long.

Heh, I just read this after my post. Different strokes, I guess.
Huh. This is interesting. I found the second one to be clearly better-written and paced. Except perhaps the Felurian (sp?) part. That part dragged. Also all the Denna stuff drags in both books.

I have to admit that I wonder how he plans to wrap the whole thing up in just one book. The whole thing "feels" like it is halfway through (at most) to me. Maybe 40%. Not 66%. I sorta hope he ends up writing 4 books instead.

Also, AP, did you ever find anything written by Barry Hughart? I remember pimping his books pretty hard back in the day. They're so well written. I've weeded out so many books over the years as my tastes have changed but the Hughart books I've held onto now for 25 years or more.

It's funny that we're both anticipating this new series so much. Hope it's better than the Rainwild series, which doesn't begin to compare to Farseer or Tawny Man.
Rainwild was pretty disappointing, no? It seemed like the daytime TV series of the Elderlings stories or something. The parts about the feelings/insecurities of Thymara (sp?) and her two love interests really, really dragged. And all the other relationships, too. It was okay when you got past all the pointless relationship drama, but taking out the relationship drama probably would've brought it down to two books instead of four.

Blegh. It's got me just slightly worried that maybe she's lost her touch. I don't want her to "ruin" Fitz for me, as Farseer / Tawny Man are my favorites of all time.