What's new

Sexton Trade Ideas Thread

Not that I think you can duplicate what happened with Lauri but you can do stuff similar with these youngish players that are good but might be held back by role… he’d be in the top 5 candidates of guys I think that could breakout(he’s already a good player but you catch my drift).

I think he’s viewed as a bench gunner and would be comped to the Herros, Pooles, Simons, of the world but the defense being a plus and not a minus and maybe being a little more point guardy kind of separate him and make him more intriguing.
I think getting guys like this and making them borderline all stars is the most efficient way to utilize our picks in trades.

We need a Brogdon trade if we hope to really compete this season imo. I’ve already floated two possible proposals that work on the trade machine. The first was Sexton/Fontechio and the second was THT/Olynyk (both for Brogdon singular including minimal draft compensation).

However, I wasn’t completely pleased with either one as it didn’t completely consolidate the logjam at the guard position. I hadn’t tried Sexton/THT because I didn’t think it would work money-wise, but lo and behold it did. There’s like a six million difference but Portland has the cap space and the need at the position. Match made in Heaven.

This creates minutes for both Dunn and George which is essential as well as giving us a proven commodity with the laurels to prove it at the starting Floor General position. Win win!

I would love for Ainge to have a chat with James Harden. Is he willing to play ball until the trade deadline? If he is, he would bring out the best in this team with his passing. We can trade him again to a contender in a few months when Keyonte hopefully is ready to take over.

Sexton + THT works salary wise. Sexton will probably need ro be moved to a third team as Philly want clean books. Add the Lakers 27 pick and see if Morey will bite. We can probably get a future unorotected first from the Clippers when we trade Harden to them at the deadline.

With a move like this, we get much better right away, clean up the guard jam while still keeping most of our assets.

First we need to stop the Sexton PG nonsense and see him play his own game before making a decission.

He is a negative as a floor general but he was great off the bench in our early season 10-3 run last year. Thats how the organisation sees him, and thats who he is.

Might even be better now that he has added some reads and passing to his game.

We need a Brogdon trade if we hope to really compete this season imo. I’ve already floated two possible proposals that work on the trade machine. The first was Sexton/Fontechio and the second was THT/Olynyk (both for Brogdon singular including minimal draft compensation).

However, I wasn’t completely pleased with either one as it didn’t completely consolidate the logjam at the guard position. I hadn’t tried Sexton/THT because I didn’t think it would work money-wise, but lo and behold it did. There’s like a six million difference but Portland has the cap space and the need at the position. Match made in Heaven.

This creates minutes for both Dunn and George which is essential as well as giving us a proven commodity with the laurels to prove it at the starting Floor General position. Win win!
Adding Brogdon doesn't help us compete for anything besides mediocrity. Hopefully we start the season terrible and then focus on all the young guys.

First we need to stop the Sexton PG nonsense and see him play his own game before making a decission.

He is a negative as a floor general but he was great off the bench in our early season 10-3 run last year. Thats how the organisation sees him, and thats who he is.

Might even be better now that he has added some reads and passing to his game.
Theoretically speaking, I agree with this. But two things in the real world concern me: Colin’s drive to be a starter (publicly stated), and the team’s deficit in playmaking. If one or both of these things weren’t true, I’d be super happy to let Colin cook off the bench.

Adding Brogdon doesn't help us compete for anything besides mediocrity. Hopefully we start the season terrible and then focus on all the young guys.
I completely disagree. Given your bent to develop the rooks I’d think you’d be for It as it also clears a freer path for George minutes.

I completely disagree. Given your bent to develop the rooks I’d think you’d be for It as it clears a freer path for George minutes.
It doesn't clear a path for George and he would also cost an asset. Likely a 1st rd pick and Sexton. You don't give that up for a 31yr old that is always injured when adding him still only makes us a borderline playoff team.

Did you just use always injured and then Sexton in the same sentence? Ironic.
You guys already view Sexton as worthless so him being injured doesn't matter. Brogdon on the other hand you are viewing as a key piece so him always being injured definitely matters.

You guys already view Sexton as worthless so him being injured doesn't matter. Brogdon on the other hand you are viewing as a key piece so him always being injured definitely matters.
Not necessarily. I’m just as interested in clearing a path to more playing time for Dunn and George as I am in Brogdon. Brogdon won 6th man last season, ROY as a 2nd round rookie and has better stats than either Sexton or THT.

Last edited:
Theoretically speaking, I agree with this. But two things in the real world concern me: Colin’s drive to be a starter (publicly stated), and the team’s deficit in playmaking. If one or both of these things weren’t true, I’d be super happy to let Colin cook off the bench.
Even though we looked much better last night and Lauri was awesome… I still felt like there were times our guards needed to feed him and didn’t. I just feel like we need at least one guy on the court that exists to support all the mouths we have to feed… sexton, JC, THT, and even Dunn are sticky with the ball at times. This is something contagious… anyone who has played pickup at the local gym has felt it… I just worry Lauri, Collins, Kessler are gonna see the ball like 20% less than they should. It doesn’t have to be a pg… but that the package it usually comes in.

Sexton has to fight his nature a bit when playing pure pg. I know he wants to start but I do think he still will give you everything he has no matter when or how much he’s playing… dude loves basketball and it shows.

Third being the logjam I suppose. Hardy is playing 4 guard lineups since we got 6 guards who deserve minutes (Ochai included).

But Id hate to give up on the guy since even though he isnt the floor general we need I think he has picked up a lot of positive things from that experiment.

I do like the 4 guard bench unit. It's kind of cool, but I guess eventually the hope would be that Hendricks would replace one of those dudes.

There definitely isnt any rush to trade Sexton. I dont think we have to get Brogdon, but his contract/years left are a decent fit for team building/future trade.

I'm guessing as of now the idea will be to split time between THT/Sexton nearly evenly until one separates themselves consistently to the point that the time is more 30/18 than 24/24.

Even though we looked much better last night and Lauri was awesome… I still felt like there were times our guards needed to feed him and didn’t. I just feel like we need at least one guy on the court that exists to support all the mouths we have to feed… sexton, JC, THT, and even Dunn are sticky with the ball at times. This is something contagious… anyone who has played pickup at the local gym has felt it… I just worry Lauri, Collins, Kessler are gonna see the ball like 20% less than they should. It doesn’t have to be a pg… but that the package it usually comes in.

Sexton has to fight his nature a bit when playing pure pg. I know he wants to start but I do think he still will give you everything he has no matter when or how much he’s playing… dude loves basketball and it shows.
I might’ve also come up with 20% in my back-of-the-envelope calculation. But even if it were half of that, that’s enough to swing a lot of games.

The difference between a 6th place and a 12th place finish this year could be less than, what, like 5ish games?

I might’ve also come up with 20% in my back-of-the-envelope calculation. But even if it were half of that, that’s enough to swing a lot of games.

The difference between a 6th place and a 12th place finish this year could be less than, what, like 5ish games?
I expect maybe a little more separation depending on injuries but basically yes… and Lauri/Walker shots are the best and highest use of shots… feed them.

Clarkson just got his extension so I'm hoping it cuts the "tunnel vision" moments a bit for him as he isnt chasing a bag this year. But I think all of our other guards (Dunn included) can get that same symptom at times.

However I'm really happy that Hardy seems to be pressing that matter and keeps talking about our game running through the frontcourt, and the guards who dont get the memo will either ride the pine or get a call from DA.