What's new

Should #47 hang from the rafters at ESA

There is no criteria for this honor. Obvious, since a coach with the most losses and worst record in team history has a faux jersey hanging.

Years of service (all pretty much as starter), his all around game.

Should scoring average be an over-riding issue for this honor. I don't buy that premise.

Agreed that the chances of this happening are very, very small. I just think it's deserved.

Well Frank Layden certainly had a huge impact on the Jazz still being in SLC. He is in more for his promotion of the team and his community work while also building the foundation of S&M.

Certainly there should be some criteria because I don't think just any one should be in your HOF. Perhaps longevity, winning percentage, are good starts but sometimes a player or coach has a big impact on the franchise but doesn't play that many years (Hornacek).

AK is not one of those players. Personally, I think he belongs in the category of Ostertag. Talented player who had moments of very good play but in the end their personality traits overshadowed their talent. For me AK did more harm than good when he quit on the team in Houston/SA, if he had stepped it up the Jazz could have gone to the finals. I think of AK as nothing more than a role player who could have become much more if he had the drive to do so.

it's already unofficially retired. I don't see any jazzman wearing that number again because of the clear association it has. I don't think it'll become official.

Does anyone else in the NBA wear #47? It, along with most number past 40, aren't very popular.

Good response overall "Cowhide". I don't necessarily agree with all you say but do recognize that your opinion is more mainstream than mine. I believe that it is entirely legend (media inspired) that Frank had any impact on the Jazz still being in SLC. He is a great guy but never should of been in the position of "head Coach" of a professional basketball team. The teams he coached were pretty bad until Malone and Stockton happened along then it was time to hire a serious coach. I believe that Frank recognized this himself. I don't think he ever saw himself as a head coach, but served when asked. Can't ask anymore of anyone.

the topic should be when will Sloans jersey be retired

Already has been. Where it belongs, in Chicago. As it should be.

To answer the OP's question, NO. There have been many great Jazz players; AK was good, but not great. Being the best player on a bad team doesn't qualify...

Ultimately retiring jerseys is based on sentimentality. I don't think your average Jazz fan, and especially your average Jazz FO exec., have a very positive sentiment in regard to AK.

No need to retire AK jersey. Though on the other hand who would were 47? It probably isn't big deal either way.

Ultimately retiring jerseys is based on sentimentality. I don't think your average Jazz fan, and especially your average Jazz FO exec., have a very positive sentiment in regard to AK.

Lots of folks think this is the case. I think it's basically the fan's perception and not the front office. Kirilenko did not hold a gun to anyone's head when he was offered that contract. I think it was a big albatross around his neck the rest of his time here.
I believe the comments made by the front office personnel were not as negative as you think but were taken that way to bolster our own opinions. If anyone has quotes proving otherwise, i would like to see them.

Hey AKMVP, instead of debating this with rep how about you explain to everyone that it was Sloan who made AK suck?

the topic should be when will Sloans jersey be retired

Already has been. Where it belongs, in Chicago. As it should be.

Maybe the jazz can just hang a gray sports coat, white shirt and red tie, or a giant John Deere hat from the rafters.

Gameface, I am tired of talking about it. Smart people understand what happened in 2007 with all Sloan and Dwill situation vs AK. No need for me to talk about it again and again.
All you guys see is max contract and shrinked numbers after 2006.. forgeting that max contract was handed to him in 2004. Yet when you look at Roland ratings AK was always the best Jazz player or in top 3 throughout his 10 years with the Jazz.

Gameface, I am tired of talking about it. Smart people understand what happened in 2007 with all Sloan and Dwill situation vs AK. No need for me to talk about it again and again.
All you guys see is max contract and shrinked numbers after 2006.. forgeting that max contract was handed to him in 2004. Yet when you look at Roland ratings AK was always the best Jazz player or in top 3 throughout his 10 years with the Jazz.

Great. Still no to a retired jersey

Smart people would never suggest AK is an MVP.

Players who don't get along with their coach and don't lead their team to success don't get their jersey retired.

If you'd like I'll bet $100 to your $10 (We can convert that to Rubles if it helps) that AK doesn't get his jersey retired in the next 10 years. Hell, I'd go $1000 to $10 because there isn't a chance in hell AK gets his jersey retired. If they tried to hold that ceremony they'd get booed out of the ESA.

Myself i am trying to post here for a year with a zero rep. Everyone needs a goal.

This sounds familiar. I wonder where I've read this before? And to think, I was just about to rep you. Good thing I didn't, as I would never do anything to stop one from achieving their goals.

I liked AK a lot, both as a person and as a player. I would have liked to have seen him come back this year if he would have signed for any reasonable amount which he was clearly unwilling to do. That being said, no way does his number get hung up there. I would be surprised if it was even considered. There are a few questionable ones up there but him being up there would be worse and reduce the meaning of having a number retired.