What's new

Should #47 hang from the rafters at ESA

Grandpa Jazz

Have my own arguments on this subject. But will find it much more entertaining to see what is posted. I am serious about this proposal though and would like to see it happen some day.

This should be great entertainment.

I say no. Like the player but for me the standard should be very high to have your number retired.

it's already unofficially retired. I don't see any jazzman wearing that number again because of the clear association it has. I don't think it'll become official.

If he was worthy of having his number retired the Jazz would've resigned him at all cost. It's not like AK is old, he's in his prime. If he continued to play the way he did before he got payed, he'd still be here. Phil Johnson gave the best arguement when he told Jazz nation AK was lazy didn't work hard and was mentally weak.

Next topic.

There is no criteria for this honor. Obvious, since a coach with the most losses and worst record in team history has a faux jersey hanging.

Years of service (all pretty much as starter), his all around game.

Should scoring average be an over-riding issue for this honor. I don't buy that premise.

Agreed that the chances of this happening are very, very small. I just think it's deserved.

He played longer for the Jazz then some other players who's numbers are retired and he has numerous unique achievements. Why not then?

The fact that you need to ask this question I think answers the question for you and that answer is No. If you are even debating retiring #47, then you better retire #8, #5, possibly #13 as well.

He played longer for the Jazz then some other players who's numbers are retired and he has numerous unique achievements. Why not then?

What unique achievements?
Crying on the bench during the playoff game? Most 3 point chucks to not draw iron in a season? Worst haircut of all time? Free Pass? Best spoke russian in Jazz history?

Crying on the bench during the playoff game? Most 3 point chucks to not draw iron in a season? Worst haircut of all time? Free Pass? Best spoke russian in Jazz history?

Is that one really a negative?

If he was worthy of having his number retired the Jazz would've resigned him at all cost.
Everyone agrees that he was not performing at the level he was being paid.

An obvious youth movement was afoot, making a move not to re-sign him logical.

despite his getting emotional (crying, which to some is unforgivable).

To me it was an honest expression of his situation.

He was never the first option offensively, nor should he have been. Scoring big time is as much about shots taken as ability to score.

He was a very good player for a decade for this organization.

If money is such a concern with Andrei, why is his contract today in Russia going to charity ? He choose to stay there and earn nothing for himself. When

it is obvious that he could of made 4-5 million this season somewhere. I believe this shows what kind of character Andrei has.

I think there is some underlying animosity in the Jazz FO when it comes AK's contract and how he developed as a player and performed after he became a max player.

I think if it does happen, it will happen many years from now a la Adrian Dantley. But if I had to guess, I'd say no.

Also if AK stays in Russia for the rest of his career - then who really gives a ****? 2 or 3 years from now people won't even think about him other than hard core Jazz fans.

Hang the #47 jersey in the rafters. . . no. Put a #47 decal in the urinals all around the arena for target practice, sure. AK had tons of potential and whizzed it down the drain.

It was after the game not during the game. You are wrong about 3 points, wrong about haircut, right about russian, plus who cares about free pass? Malone fathered how many children with numerous women and failed to pay child support while AK adopted orphan kid - to me that speaks volumes about him as human being.
Nobody in Jazz history or even in NBA history recorded 5X6 game in regulation. Hakeem did it in triple overtime. And AK is only second player in NBA to have multiple 5x5 again after legendary Hakeem. Being second on all time Jazz blocked shots and steals list alone should be sufficient. Plus he was All star and All nba defensive team and led NBA in blocks twice.
Only 5 Jazz players played longer for the Jazz. Two of them who played shorter have their jerseys retired. Again why not AK?
By the way in his recent interview he was asked if he is done with NBA, and he said that next season he is coming back for sure for another 3-4 years and that Jazz will be his priority. I have hard time believing he will end up with the Jazz but who knows, maybe he will play for us another 3 years and becomes nr.3 in seasons played?