What's new

Should #47 hang from the rafters at ESA

It was after the game not during the game. You are wrong about 3 points, wrong about haircut, right about russian, plus who cares about free pass? Malone fathered how many children with numerous women and failed to pay child support while AK adopted orphan kid - to me that speaks volumes about him as human being.
Nobody in Jazz history or even in NBA history recorded 5X6 game in regulation. Hakeem did it in triple overtime. And AK is only second player in NBA to have multiple 5x5 again after legendary Hakeem. Being second on all time Jazz blocked shots and steals list alone should be sufficient. Plus he was All star and All nba defensive team and led NBA in blocks twice.
Only 5 Jazz players played longer for the Jazz. Two of them who played shorter have their jerseys retired. Again why not AK?
By the way in his recent interview he was asked if he is done with NBA, and he said that next season he is coming back for sure for another 3-4 years and that Jazz will be his priority. I have hard time believing he will end up with the Jazz but who knows, maybe he will play for us another 3 years and becomes nr.3 in seasons played?

How many of his 5x5s came after he got the max contract? End of discussion.

If he was worthy of having his number retired the Jazz would've resigned him at all cost.

Nobody would have signed AK at any costs this season when he made decision to stay and finish season in Russia. Next season he is coming back to NBA and then we will know if Jazz have any interest or not. Maybe O'Connor was told by AK or his agent that he is coming back next year and that's why Howard got only 1 year deal.

Free Pass?
Was waiting for that to come up. You seem to have something against Russian folks (certainly he could speak Russian, and had an accent when speaking English) You seem to be intolerant of anyone who has different ideas (free pass) than you. Do you see a pattern developing ? The notion of the free pass was put forward by his wife Masha. He said he never used his pass, nor wanted to. How many of you could show similar restraint ?

How many of his 5x5s came after he got the max contract? End of discussion.

Dude, you have such a short memory you just completely embarrassed yourself. His 5X6 game was in 2006. He was voted to NBA all defensive team after he got max contract, he led league in blocks twice after max contract as well. Fans forget that his/sloan/dwill conflict started on his third year of his max contract and in his first two years of max contract he was playing and filling stat sheets same way or even more then before he got it.

Free Pass?

Was waiting for that to come up. You seem to have something against Russian folks (certainly he could speak Russian, and had an accent when speaking English) You seem to be intolerant of anyone who has different ideas (free pass) than you. Do you see a pattern developing ? The notion of the free pass was put forward by his wife Masha. He said he never used his pass, nor wanted to. How many of you could show similar restraint ?

I couldn't take advantage of a free pass if I tried. No restraint required.

It was after the game not during the game. You are wrong about 3 points, wrong about haircut, right about russian, plus who cares about free pass? Malone fathered how many children with numerous women and failed to pay child support while AK adopted orphan kid - to me that speaks volumes about him as human being.
Nobody in Jazz history or even in NBA history recorded 5X6 game in regulation. Hakeem did it in triple overtime. And AK is only second player in NBA to have multiple 5x5 again after legendary Hakeem. Being second on all time Jazz blocked shots and steals list alone should be sufficient. Plus he was All star and All nba defensive team and led NBA in blocks twice.
Only 5 Jazz players played longer for the Jazz. Two of them who played shorter have their jerseys retired. Again why not AK?
By the way in his recent interview he was asked if he is done with NBA, and he said that next season he is coming back for sure for another 3-4 years and that Jazz will be his priority. I have hard time believing he will end up with the Jazz but who knows, maybe he will play for us another 3 years and becomes nr.3 in seasons played?
Josh Howard's really got you pissed huh? Andrei K had what? A 2 year prime? Jamaal Tinsley has recorded a 5x5 before. I don't see Indy hanging his jersey up anytime soon.

I was an AK fan, but no way does his number deserve to be retired. In fact, Griffith and Eaton's numbers shouldn't be retired and really, as much as we loved him, Hornacek's shouldn't either.

I was an AK fan, but no way does his number deserve to be retired. In fact, Griffith and Eaton's numbers shouldn't be retired and really, as much as we loved him, Hornacek's shouldn't either.

Exactly so. But since they are retired Andrei deserves the honor. Thats at least four total jerseys hanging there that probably should not be.

here is short resume of second year in his max contract for those who say he quit playing after receiving it, lol:

Named to NBA’s All-Defensive First Team … Played in 69 games (63 starts) … Jazz were 36-27 when he started, 5-14 when he didn’t (3-10 when didn’t play) … Missed total of 13 games due to injury – 7 straight with sprained right ankle (11/14-25), and 6 with back spasms (12/20-12/23, 3/1, 4/17-4/19) … Finished third on team in scoring (15.3) and rebounding (8.0), second in assists (4.3), while leading it in both blocks (3.19) and steals (1.48) … Led team in minutes with 37.7 per game … Became just 4th player in NBA history, and first since 1993-94, to average 15+ points, 8+ rebounds, 4+ assists and 3+ blocks in single season (Abdul-Jabbar six times, Bob Lanier – 1973-74, David Robinson – 1993-94) … Scored in double figures 54 times, scoring 20+ on 21 occasions … Scored season-high 25 points twice (4/14 at New Orleans/Okla. City and 1/14 vs. Miami) … Led NBA in total blocks (220), ranking 2nd in blocks per game (3.19) and 19th in rebounds (8.0) … Led the league with 28 games of 4+ blocks, blocking 5+ shots 16 times … Led the Jazz (or tied) in scoring 14 times, in rebounds 19 times and in assists 27 times … Registered first two triple-doubles of career – first career triple-double with 18 points, 16 rebounds and a career-high 11 assists vs. Toronto, 1/17 (previous assists high was 10 three times, last 12/16/05 at Ind.) … Also made his 500th career steal … Registered second career triple-double with 15 points, 14 rebounds and a career-high 10 blocks (was 8 five times) vs. Sacramento, 3/25 … 10 blocks were an NBA season high, and the most by Jazzman since Greg Ostertag had 11 vs. Philadelphia on 1/6/98 … Grabbed 10+ rebounds 21 times, and posted 22 double-doubles … Tallied 22 points and a career-high 18 rebounds vs. Phoenix, 3/21 … Had 15 points, 11 rebounds, 8 assists and 8 blocks vs. Minnesota, 3/8 … Only third player since 1991-92 to register 8 assists and 8 blocks in the same game (Chris Webber and David Robinson) … Grabbed his 2,000th career rebound vs. San Antonio, 1/30 … Played a career-high 49 minutes in an OT win at Detroit, 1/7 (previous high 48 in regulation game vs. Toronto, 12/26/03) … Posted third career 5X5 game with 14 points, eight boards, nine assists, seven blocks and six steals vs. L.A. Lakers, 1/3 … Only second player in NBA history with 6+ in each category (A. Olajuwon, 3/10/87, Houston vs, Seattle) … Registered five straight double-doubles 12/7-12/16 …

Dude, you have such a short memory you just completely embarrassed yourself. His 5X6 game was in 2006.

Funny, I don't feel embarrassed.

How many of his 5x5s were before his max contract? How long did he play and how much of his great performance was before he got a long *** max contract?

You'd think that someone who demanded a max contract would feel some obligation to continue to earn it after it was signed. He became a non-factor and a poor teammate once he signed the contract.

I was in the U.S. Navy from 2000-2006. I didn't watch of follow basketball much during that time. I don't remember AK ever being great. From 2006 on he was the 4th or 5th option on the Jazz. He doesn't even qualify to be discussed as a possible retired jersey.

Josh Howard's really got you pissed huh? Andrei K had what? A 2 year prime? Jamaal Tinsley has recorded a 5x5 before. I don't see Indy hanging his jersey up anytime soon.

Howard has nothing to do with it. 2 year prime? lol, We can't even talk if you have no clue or remember nothing. Tinsley's 5X5 was in double overtime - granted for the guard it is very impressive but what else Tinsley did for Indiana besides being involved in numerous of court problems with law?

Reactions: kwb
I was in the U.S. Navy from 2000-2006. I didn't watch of follow basketball much during that time. I don't remember AK ever being great. From 2006 on he was the 4th or 5th option on the Jazz. He doesn't even qualify to be discussed as a possible retired jersey.

I, as a military vet also, resent people implying that their service gives them extra panache. If you were not able to watch, then maybe your opinion should not be so strong. That a ten year starter with an all-star season dosen't even qualify then i suggest we start ripping down most of the jerseys hanging there now.

Funny, I don't feel embarrassed.

You'd think that someone who demanded a max contract would feel some obligation to continue to earn it after it was signed. He became a non-factor and a poor teammate once he signed the contract.

You should feel ashamed of posting wrong statement yet again. Read again. I do not need to repeat myself if you can't understand that 2007 was his third year after signing max contract. For 2 years after he signed it he was best player on the Jazz. The fact that you did not watch Jazz in 2000-2006 explains everything - you have no right to talk about it then.

How many of his 5x5s were before his max contract? How long did he play and how much of his great performance was before he got a long *** max contract?

I will answer as you have no clue. His 2 5X5 were before max contract and 5X6 was 2 years after his max contract. He was all NBA defensive team after his max contract. His first triple doubles were after his max contract. He led league in blocks twice after his max contract. His career high games in assists, rebounds and blocks were after his max contract.He became 4th player in NBA history to average +15+8+4+3 after his max contract.
Enough to feel embarrassed?

I, as a military vet also, resent people implying that their service gives them extra panache. If you were not able to watch, then maybe your opinion should not be so strong. That a ten year starter with an all-star season dosen't even qualify then i suggest we start ripping down most of the jerseys hanging there now.

Let me explain. I did not live in Utah during that time and did not have cable. I was unable to follow the Jazz and I lost interest once Stockton and Malone left. Once I returned to Utah I started watching the Jazz again. I wasn't trying to say my opinioon mattered more because of my military service. I'm pretty open (intellectually honest) and try to let people know why and how I came to the conclusion I did. It seems AK was pretty impressive during the period of time I wasn't watching, so my opinion of him is based on what I've seen from 2006 to now. That is, after he signed a huge contract that crippled the team. Now if he continued to improve and produce the team is okay because we'd have a potential MVP on our hands. AK is no MVP, not even MVP of the Jazz.

Sometimes we hear what we want to hear if it reinforces our own strongly held opinions bordelais7. But i am impressed with the use of the words hyperbole and inferred. Actually i will rep you just for great usage of the English language.

Myself i am trying to post here for a year with a zero rep. Everyone needs a goal.

I will answer as you have no clue. His 2 5X5 were before max contract and 5X6 was 2 years after his max contract. He was all NBA defensive team after his max contract. His first triple doubles were after his max contract. He led league in blocks twice after his max contract. His career high games in assists and blocks were after his max contract.He became 4th player in NBA history to average +15+8+4+3 after his max contract.
Enough to feel embarrassed?

Stupid stats like "the first player to average 15/8/4/3" is like saying the first person to eat a ham sandwich with his shirt on backwards and then make a dunk on the first possesion of the game. You pull a guys numbers and find a way to make them fit a "the only person to..." stat. yawn.

I saw what AK contributed. I like the guy. Very fun to watch. He didn't work hard. The team has one WCF appearance with him as a player and he was the 4th option.