What's new

Should DL Trade Hayward?

At this point in his career, I don't think Hayward will "lead" a team to a championship. But I do believe he can be a helluva player averaging 18/5/4 and a threat from 3-pt range. But he is NOT a PG and shouldn't essentially be used as such. Let Hayward play to his strengths. That is entirely the fault of the coaching staff and FO.

We would look foolish for trading him for less value IF/WHEN he goes to a team that uses him correctly.

IMO Hayward is best served to start and be a secondary ball handler and scorer with a starting unit. By staggering the rotations to let him take the lead against other teams backups. That would maximize his value. What that would be salary wise is hard to say.

This role for hayward requires him to be the 3rd option. Ideally with a big time post threat and another perimeter scorer.

At this point in his career, I don't think Hayward will "lead" a team to a championship. But I do believe he can be a helluva player averaging 18/5/4 and a threat from 3-pt range. But he is NOT a PG and shouldn't essentially be used as such. Let Hayward play to his strengths. That is entirely the fault of the coaching staff and FO.

We would look foolish for trading him for less value IF/WHEN he goes to a team that uses him correctly.

I genuinely don't see him averaging 18pts a game on a championship contender. I see him as a 13-15pt guy on a team like that, similar to Batum.

But you know what else I see? Him continuing to turn the ball over in clutch situations and going MIA in big moments. Who would it surprise to see him go to a semi contender and then have his playoff numbers go down dramatically from his regular season stats? Not me.

I'd take the dude, don't get me wrong. I want nothing to do with him at $10.5mil + a year though.

Again, no way he is an 18pt guy on a contending team.

I genuinely don't see him averaging 18pts a game on a championship contender. I see him as a 13-15pt guy on a team like that, similar to Batum.

But you know what else I see? Him continuing to turn the ball over in clutch situations and going MIA in big moments. Who would it surprise to see him go to a semi contender and then have his playoff numbers go down dramatically from his regular season stats? Not me.

I'd take the dude, don't get me wrong. I want nothing to do with him at $10.5mil + a year though.

Again, no way he is an 18pt guy on a contending team.

Perhaps. I just think he can keep his current scoring average by upping his shooting percentage to his career avgs. Fewer shots, but greater efficiency. Up until this season, he was a 40% shooter from 3-pt range. So take the ball out of his hands and have him back in that range a bit more. That also spaces the floor. Hayward is just being asked to do too much.

No way we trade Hayward. Corbin needs to move Gordon to the three spot so he can move more freely along the baseline. Allowing him to run through more screens to get open. He will also be quicker against most 3's compared to being guarded by 2's. His rebounding has been a nice surprise and the change in position would bolster that even more.
I also like the idea of Burks starting at the 2. Gordon is a better playmaker than Iso scorer. Have a cutting Alec to pass to when the defense hounds him benefits both players strengths as well. It would open up more wing threes as the PF and C's would have to respect Burks finishing and Haywards creativity.
That would also make Kanter the #1 offensive option off the bench. Scoring is the one promising thing he's showed us this far so let's use that. It should give him the confidence boost the man child needs.

Hayward is a great talent with a skill set that would be very hard to find again. Is he an elite scorer? No. Is he an elite talent? If used correctly I'd say yes. He's more if a Scottie Pippen than a Michael Jordan.

Sent from the JazzFanz app

"I know Scottie Pippen, and he, sir, is no Scottie Pippen....." (12 people will get that).

I actually agree with a lot of your post. He, along with the majority of the team, is being used poorly. That doesn't negate my assertion that he doesn't have much, if any, killer instinct though. I have no stat to back that up, just what my eyes are telling me.

His on court demeanor doesn't scream "leader", and actually I'd say it screams "follower". And while I don't agree he is as talented as you think he is, talent is not what's holding him back, IMO.

I agree with you, he's not a closer. I don't think we really have a clutch performer. Burks could be it if he improved his jump shot but even then its not like Alec is pulling the other teams best defender yet.

No way we trade Hayward. Corbin needs to move Gordon to the three spot so he can move more freely along the baseline. Allowing him to run through more screens to get open. He will also be quicker against most 3's compared to being guarded by 2's. His rebounding has been a nice surprise and the change in position would bolster that even more.
I also like the idea of Burks starting at the 2. Gordon is a better playmaker than Iso scorer. Have a cutting Alec to pass to when the defense hounds him benefits both players strengths as well. It would open up more wing threes as the PF and C's would have to respect Burks finishing and Haywards creativity.
That would also make Kanter the #1 offensive option off the bench. Scoring is the one promising thing he's showed us this far so let's use that. It should give him the confidence boost the man child needs.

Hayward is a great talent with a skill set that would be very hard to find again. Is he an elite scorer? No. Is he an elite talent? If used correctly I'd say yes. He's more if a Scottie Pippen than a Michael Jordan.

I agree with you, he's not a closer. I don't think we really have a clutch performer. Burks could be it if he improved his jump shot but even then its not like Alec is pulling the other teams best defender yet.

Very nice posts
Repped.

I do agree with bohdi though that the pippen comparison is insane. (I get it that were probably just comparing the "pippen role" and not the players though)

Hayward is trending well this year in everything except TOs and fg%. That is a bit concerning to me in a contract year. I know it's hard with the coaching and the role changes and on and on, but in Bohdi's words I am looking for fire.

And I agree with the consensus that he is a great guy, but certainly not 'the guy'. And the greatest dangers are to overpay or misuse him.