What's new

Should the Jazz Punt Game 2?

Saint Cy of JFC

2022 Award Winner
Mitchell has a foot contusion. The next game is Wednesday. Game 3 is Saturday.

Should the Jazz rest Mitchell for game 2 to ensure he is healthier for game 3?

Did you see Mitchell on the bench in the 4th? Of course you did. You know ROY wouldn't stand for that kind of calculation.

Ummmm no. Lose game 2 and we are basically done. DM at 75% gives us a better chance to win than no DM. Not sure a couple extra days will make that much of a difference.

Ummmm no. Lose game 2 and we are basically done. DM at 75% gives us a better chance to win than no DM. Not sure a couple extra days will make that much of a difference.
Losing game 2 doesnt mean the Jazz are done at all.

The series doesnt start until the home team loses. If they lose game 3, they are are done.

Did you see Mitchell on the bench in the 4th? Of course you did. You know ROY wouldn't stand for that kind of calculation.
Yeah, but he doesnt really have a choice and these kind of things need rest for swelling to go down. 2 days rest is a big difference from 5 days rest.

Losing game 2 doesnt mean the Jazz are done at all.

The series doesnt start until the home team loses. If they lose game 3, they are are done.

Teams that go down 0-2 are 18-271 in best of 7 series... so while I enjoy a sports platitude as much as the next guy it isn’t really true.

Game 2 is also the most likely one for the road team to win. If he is good enough to play he plays... if he can’t play then there are no questions... he just can’t go.

Teams that go down 0-2 are 18-271 in best of 7 series... so while I enjoy a sports platitude as much as the next guy it isn’t really true.

Game 2 is also the most likely one for the road team to win. If he is good enough to play he plays... if he can’t play then there are no questions... he just can’t go.
Yes, because that includes 1-8, 2-7, and 3-6 series that are generally more lopsided in talent.

This is a 4/5 matchup. Going down 0-2 isnt that big of a deal at all.

We can still win the depres if we lose game 2 but it's less likely.

If we want to win we really need to take game 2. Otherwise it's an uphill battle. It's a lot of pressure to win games 3 and 4 at home when you are down 2.

If Mitchell isn't healthy though and it is risking his health they should sit him. Winning this series isn't worth it.

Also we can win without Mitchell it will just be harder and guys would need to step up obviously.

It's a foot/toe contusion, which means a lot of swelling. Swelling only gets better through resting. So yeah, even if he can technically get up and play on it, doesnt mean it's in the best interest of the series.

We can still win the depres if we lose game 2 but it's less likely.

If we want to win we really need to take game 2. Otherwise it's an uphill battle. It's a lot of pressure to win games 3 and 4 at home when you are down 2.

If Mitchell isn't healthy though and it is risking his health they should sit him. Winning this series isn't worth it.

Also we can win without Mitchell it will just be harder and guys would need to step up obviously.
Since you are the resident sports injury person on here, what's the typical differnece in a foot/toe contusion after 2 days of rest compared to 5?

He's not limping, says he feels fine. Did you see him yesterday begging to get on the court while limping everywhere? Even if this question was worth considering (probably isn't) he's gonna play.

Since you are the resident sports injury person on here, what's the typical differnece in a foot/toe contusion after 2 days of rest compared to 5?
I am definitely not the injury expert. I am around them but that is not my field of expertise.

I also dont think we have enough info to go off of. A foot contusion is pretty vague. But more time is pretty much always better for an injury. If it is just a bruise though and no real damage then the swelling will come down and he can just play through the pain. I did agree with pulling him though when he was running funny. That is how you get a serious injury. I assume the Jazz will rest him as much as possible and then run him through warmups before the game and see if he can move normal. If he can they should play him. If they cant, sit him. The last thing we need is an ACL injury or something else because he is running, jumping and landing funny.

Last edited:
He's not limping, says he feels fine. Did you see him yesterday begging to get on the court while limping everywhere? Even if this question was worth considering (probably isn't) he's gonna play.
You ever been injured before? Typically it happens and you can play through it, but it gets worse the following days with swelling.

And yes, he is going to say he is fine. If he didnt he would be viewed as soft.