What's new

Should the Jazz Punt Game 2?

You ever been injured before? Typically it happens and you can play through it, but it gets worse the following days with swelling.

And yes, he is going to say he is fine. If he didnt he would be viewed as soft.

I’ve had a ton of ankle injuries and the next day is always the worst. I’ve also played on said injuries and didn’t feel like it made them worse but the toe might be different. Obviously not a pro so none of this is really relevant.

He’ll get treatment and I expect him to go. The ghost of George Hills toe won’t stop this kid.

I think you rest him if there's a strong risk of aggravation and if the extra rest would likely lead to him being healthy the rest of the series. If it's just a pain issue then you can always shoot him up with something or other as long as there's no risk of further damage.

I guess if the calculus is Donovan being stuck playing at a max level of 70% over the course of 6 games vs taking game 2 off and then having five games of 100% ability, then it's worth considering.

That said, I can't imagine anything is that cut and dry in reality, and I'll be pretty shocked if he's sitting Wednesday night.

The Jazz could very well win game 2 without Mitchell.

If he's injured, you sit him. It's not punting anything. Him playing game 2 injured isn't a good idea, and makes it more likely that he'll be injured later in the series.

Lose game 2 and we are basically done.
I disagree. In fact i predicted each team wins their home games up until game 7 when we steal one after wearing them down and figuring them out.

Doesn't mean I think we should punt this game though.

I guess if the calculus is Donovan being stuck playing at a max level of 70% over the course of 6 games vs taking game 2 off and then having five games of 100% ability, then it's worth considering.

That said, I can't imagine anything is that cut and dry in reality, and I'll be pretty shocked if he's sitting Wednesday night.
Great post.

you guys keep ignoring the fact that PG13 has a hip contusion. That could hurt him as well, but hes not going to sit out.

If they brought a limping Mitchell back in to game one as it seemed out of reach, why on earth would they keep him out of game 2 altogether?

From what I've read foot contusions can last anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of weeks. If you rest him and punt game 2 and he's still not ready for game 3 what are you gonna do? Punt game 3 too and probably the series? Rest in the first 48 hours of a foot contusion is key. It's a good thing that he has a little over 72 hours with no travel to rest, ice and elevate his foot.

I think the debate is kind of pointless though. I don't see how Donovan doesn't play after watching his reaction to being benched in the 4th of game 1, and his post game interview where he said he "Just stubbed his toe, nothing major" and "I was just limping. They saw me limping and thought I needed to come out. But I was just being a baby." Today he said he was fine and can walk. I just don't see them being able to keep him out. He's a warrior.

you guys keep ignoring the fact that PG13 has a hip contusion. That could hurt him as well, but hes not going to sit out.

28ibq9.jpg

We have to take as many shots to win as possible... no punting games. What if this is the game that PG can't throw it in the ocean and Adams gets in foul trouble.

We can't punt any games. This OKC team runs hot and cold. We need to win every time they are cold. If DM can go he should... even if he is the distraction.

Good question. I guess it all depends what team physician and Mitchell say. If he is at least at 75-80% he should play. Contusion is not a sprain or strain. Yes, it is sore but probably won't get worse unless that dick Brewer steps on it again. I got stepped on toes playing soccer with studs and it hurts like hell that day but usually unless you kick with that part of the foot a lot it does not affect your running and jumping that much.

You and I bump heads Cy, but if you ever, ever question a trade thread of mine ever again, I will simply bring up this dumb *** thread here. What were you thinking? You're better than this.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

I actually think it’s a reasonable thought. I don’t see us doing it but perhaps if things go south the first half it might be prudent to sit him for the second