What's new

Should the Jazz Punt Game 2?

This just isn't true at all.

Since the playoffs expanded the first round to a best-of-seven series (2003), road teams in the 4/5 match-up are 4-11 after falling behind 0-2 in the series. That's a horrible winning percentage (26%) in what amounts to one of the more even series. It can be done, as the Jazz showed in 2007 against the Rockets, but it's rare. Jazz go down 0-2 to the Thunder and their chances of winning this series become increasingly long ... and yes. that is a big deal. Not impossible. Maybe not even improbable...but a bad situation for any team to find themselves in.

What is the record for teams that go down 0-2 on the road then win game 3 at home?

I gotta say, it's amazing how many people are ready to call a 0-2 deficit an odds-based closed case on the series after watching what this team just did in the regular season...
This series is not 0-2. People are saying that punting a game because you think 0-2 is no big deal sounds like a very bad idea. Even if DM is hurt, I'd a lot rather see him give his best despite the pain than to watch him sit on the bench playing it safe. Toughness is a real thing. The Jazz used to have it from the top down, and they need to get it back.

You figure that out. I'm only focused on your inane idea that punting game two, and going down 0-2 in a best-of-seven series is no big deal. Well it is.
It's not that big of a deal. You just throwing out the history of going down 0-2 in a 4/5 series ignores individual series context.

This series is not 0-2. People are saying that punting a game because you think 0-2 is no big deal sounds like a very bad idea. Even if DM is hurt, I'd a lot rather see him give his best despite the pain than to watch him sit on the bench playing it safe. Toughness is a real thing. The Jazz used to have it from the top down, and they need to get it back.
No one is advocating for punting a game for the hell of it. Hell, no one is advocating punting a game at all. However, it's worth considering that it might be easier to win 4 of 5 games with Donovan at 100% than winning 3 of 5 games with Donovan playing on a bum foot, or without him altogether.

For the record, and as I said previously, I hope he plays and I'll be shocked if he doesn't; but if there's a major difference to be had in Donovan's abilities in games 3-7, it's silly not to at least consider resting him.

You know what's worse than going down 0-2 and having your star healthy?

Being 1-1 and having Donovan out for the series.
Yeah, and why would that happen? If he's hurt the Jazz will keep him out.

This entire conversation is confusing to me. Don stubbed his pinky toe and all indications are that he will play on Wednesday. What are we even talking about right now?
Right?

Like we're the ****ing medical staff.

They are going to make a better decision that we and especially Cy are going to make.

This is a sports forum where we discuss stuff concerning the Utah Jazz basketball organization, right?
Yes, and some discussion is interesting, some is dumb.

Talking about punting a playoff game in a series we are behind in is, well, dumb.

Obviously if Donovan is hurt he needs to sit out. Obvious **** is obvious. Punting? The FO is not having discussion about punting a game because they don't waste their time with nonsense.

Probably nothing, but that seems to be the nature of speculative Internet discussions on topics about which no participant has access to first hand information.

Sure, but the information we do have is that he stubbed his toe and we're talking about punting a playoff game over it? After it has been reported that he's fine and will almost certainly play. Just seems like a wild over reaction to me.

Donovan is no Hill, I don’t see how a hurt pinkie will stop him. But yes if it’s bad enough he won’t play. There’s not really anything to discuss here lol

Yes, and some discussion is interesting, some is dumb.

Talking about punting a playoff game in a series we are behind in is, well, dumb.

Obviously if Donovan is hurt he needs to sit out. Obvious **** is obvious. Punting? The FO is not having discussion about punting a game because they don't waste their time with nonsense.
Are you an idiot?

I guarantee there is a discussion between the coaching and medical staff about the severity of the injury and the recovery time. As in, they will ask how healthy will he be by Wednesday vs if they rested him til Saturday. Or what kind of risk is there if he plays Wednesday vs if they rested him til Saturday.

I'm sorry if you took "punting" too literal. Of course they would still try to win the game even without Donovan.

Sure, but the information we do have is that he stubbed his toe and we're talking about punting a playoff game over it? After it has been reported that he's fine and will almost certainly play. Just seems like a wild over reaction to me.
He is listed as questionable and the only report of him being fine is him saying he is fine. Athletes arent exactly reliable sources on the honesty of the extent of their injuries.