What's new

Should the Jazz Punt Game 2?

You and I bump heads Cy, but if you ever, ever question a trade thread of mine ever again, I will simply bring up this dumb *** thread here. What were you thinking? You're better than this.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app
Uhh, I'm thinking of a pretty simple scenario of health. It's going to be discussed by the Utah medical and coaching staff.

Trading Alec Burks and a 2nd round pick for Lebron James wont be tho

You and I bump heads Cy, but if you ever, ever question a trade thread of mine ever again, I will simply bring up this dumb *** thread here. What were you thinking? You're better than this.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app
Donovan is currently listed on the injury report as a gametime decision. This isn't a fantastical discussion of hypothetical scenarios that have no chance of actually happening (don't get me wrong - I enjoy those discussions, too), it's a discussion about an actual scenario, and this discussion is certainly being mirrored by the team.

If Cy were to start up a thread asking if we should try running Gobert at point, with Neto guarding Adams, just to confuse the Thunder and trip up their gameplanning for the rest of the series, then you might have something to go on.

The entire game tempo after the opening run by the Jazz was in the Thunder's favor in Game 1, to include some interesting officiating. Couple this with an out of this world performance by PG and the Jazz still only lost by 8. No, you never punt, not in the regular season, definitely not in the playoffs.

When Mitchell first came out of the locker room they showed him on the bench and even though there was no audio you could see him saying "I'm fine", "I'm OK", and visibly upset that they hadn't put him back in yet. You let him play. Even on 75% of a foot he made a couple of incredible plays.

It's a contusion. They hurt. Winners play through that crap unlike George Hill. How many contusions do you think Stock & Mail played through over the years?

Last edited:
No, Mitchell knows his own body and they wouldn't have let him back in the same game if it was serious.

Hopefully PG13 gets scared next time Exum is moving towards him. Dont want to get laid out by our skinniest guy again. :)

Was actually nice seeing him on that side of the collision for once.

No. Play to win. Period. These are the games. We cannot play with the attitude that there is always tomorrow. We have to play like each game is our last. Win or go home.

Of course take care of the players if the injury poses serious risk, but remember Malone played with a broken finger, Stockton and Horny played through pain. If it's just uncomfortable it can actually help DM focus and we might get a Jordan-flu-game out of it.

So no punting. Win or go home.

Asking if we should rest Donovan if there's even the slightest possibility his injury could get worse or cause another more serious injury is completely different than asking if the Jazz should punt on their second opportunity to steal HCA.

This is a 4/5 matchup. Going down 0-2 isnt that big of a deal at all.

This just isn't true at all.

Since the playoffs expanded the first round to a best-of-seven series (2003), road teams in the 4/5 match-up are 4-11 after falling behind 0-2 in the series. That's a horrible winning percentage (26%) in what amounts to one of the more even series. It can be done, as the Jazz showed in 2007 against the Rockets, but it's rare. Jazz go down 0-2 to the Thunder and their chances of winning this series become increasingly long ... and yes. that is a big deal. Not impossible. Maybe not even improbable...but a bad situation for any team to find themselves in.