What's new

Should the Jazz Punt Game 2?

It's not that big of a deal. You just throwing out the history of going down 0-2 in a 4/5 series ignores individual series context.

Oh I get it. You're not making an argument. You're just trollin'. Sorry. I thought you were being serious. Carry on.

Oh I get it. You're not making an argument. You're just trollin'. Sorry. I thought you were being serious. Carry on.
Oh I get it. You're not making an argument. You're just getting mad when someone raises a valid counter to what you said. I thought you werent a giant baby. Carry on.

He is listed as questionable and the only report of him being fine is him saying he is fine. Athletes arent exactly reliable sources on the honesty of the extent of their injuries.

I've seen Tony Jones and Andy Larsen say he's fine and will almost certainly play. We're talking about a stubbed toe. Rudy came back after a fricking knee injury last year and we're talking about holding Donovan out for a bruise. Come on man. The Jazz training staff will of course determine if he is able to go, or not. Punting has nothing to do with it.

Yes, and some discussion is interesting, some is dumb.
Are you an idiot?

I guarantee there is a discussion between the coaching and medical staff about the severity of the injury and the recovery time. As in, they will ask how healthy will he be by Wednesday vs if they rested him til Saturday. Or what kind of risk is there if he plays Wednesday vs if they rested him til Saturday.

I'm sorry if you took "punting" too literal. Of course they would still try to win the game even without Donovan.
I am most likely an idiot, yes. That has nothing to do with your dumpster fire of a thread.

The Jazz could very well win game 2 without Mitchell.

If he's injured, you sit him. It's not punting anything. Him playing game 2 injured isn't a good idea, and makes it more likely that he'll be injured later in the series.

What gives anyone confidence that the Jazz can win games without Mitchell?

Did you see Mitchell's body language in his interview during practice yesterday?

There is no way he's not playing tomorrow. He'll say whatever he has to say to the medical staff to get himself out there.

Cy suggested we lose Game 2. That's what punt the game means.

#1 - I'm an older Jazz fan who has too much pride to lose anything or not give our all on purpose.

#2 - the legends who defined us played through any and all injuries. And they did it to support #1.

#3 - Its a stupid thread based on a mindset. A trade thread is forum banter. This is just idiotic.

#4 - Cy awful try with the Burks and 2nd for LBJ. My trades are all over the place but always realistic.

#5 - I repeat - worst thread I might have ever seen. Lose game 2 on purpose. WOW

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Cy suggested we lose Game 2. That's what punt the game means.

#1 - I'm an older Jazz fan who has too much pride to lose anything or not give our all on purpose.

#2 - the legends who defined us played through any and all injuries. And they did it to support #1.

#3 - Its a stupid thread based on a mindset. A trade thread is forum banter. This is just idiotic.

#4 - Cy awful try with the Burks and 2nd for LBJ. My trades are all over the place but always realistic.

#5 - I repeat - worst thread I might have ever seen. Lose game 2 on purpose. WOW

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app
Yeah, you are an idiot and your trades are as realistic as Burks/2nd for Lebron.

Sorry if you numbskulls took "punt" literally meant not try to win the game. Last year the Jazz won a playoff game without Gobert and a game without Hayward. Obviously they would still try.

Guess what? The Jazz had this exact scenario happen last year in the playoffs. Gobert got injured then they had to make a calculated decision on how many games he could miss to recover to a point where playing him was effective and safe.

Sure you can say he will play game 2 and be completely right, but don't act like this question isn't valid, reasonable, and something the staff isn't thinking about. Hell we saw the real time thought process of this question take place in game 1.

Last edited:
Sure, but the information we do have is that he stubbed his toe and we're talking about punting a playoff game over it? After it has been reported that he's fine and will almost certainly play. Just seems like a wild over reaction to me.
Then add to that trying to defend the statement that being down 0-2 is no big deal. I'll tell you what would be a big deal to me: Discovering that DM is willing to miss a playoff game over a stubbed toe.

Yeah, you are an idiot and your trades are as realistic as Burks/2nd for Lebron.

Sorry if you numbskulls took "punt" literally meant not try to win the game. Last year the Jazz won a playoff game without Gobert and a game without Hayward. Obviously they would still try.

Guess what? The Jazz had this exact scenario happen last year in the playoffs. Gobert got injured then they had to make a calculated decision on how many games he could miss to recover to a point where playing him was effective and safe.

Sure you can say he will play game 2 and be completely right, but don't act like this question isn't valid, reasonable, and something the staff isn't thinking about. Hell we saw the real time thought process of this question take place in game 1.
Punting comes from football where it literally means to give up on a scoring opportunity to give the ball back to the other team. You can hardly blame others for your imprecise language if giving up scoring a win isnt what you meant by punting on game 2.

Then add to that trying to defend the statement that being down 0-2 is no big deal. I'll tell you what would be a big deal to me: Discovering that DM is willing to miss a playoff game over a stubbed toe.

Is this a serious question? I believe we already know what Donovan would do if it were his decision. It's not his decision.

Punting comes from football where it literally means to give up on a scoring opportunity to give the ball back to the other team. You can hardly blame others for your imprecise language if giving up scoring a win isnt what you meant by punting on game 2.
Yea, but the whole point is to gain better field position. You aren't just giving up on scoring because you decided you don't care about it at the moment.

If the nature of Donovan's injury were such that resting five days would bring him back to 100%, but he would be stuck at 70% or lower continuously, until having that 5 days rest, it would be worth considering the potential that getting him back strong for the final 5 games equates to better "field position". You still hope you can beat the Thunder tomorrow, regardless.

I don't understand what about the above line of thinking is so outrageous to people. It's a pretty straightforward cost-benefit analysis question, and it shouldn't be so controversial -- especially since no one is even advocating for him resting.

Also - no one is questioning Donovan's toughness, or desire to play. I posted myself in the game thread about how wonderful it was seeing him so determined to get back in the game after Quin pulled him. It's great.

But it's silly to think the front office and coaching staff aren't considering things from a slightly more emotionally removed strategic vantage point.

Edit: 'Considering' may well be moved into the past tense by now -- so let's say I'm sure they considered it. Ultimately, I don't know what information they have/when they had it. At some point I'm sure they considered whether or not it would be best to rest Donovan for the next game.

Turf toe took George Hill from being a border-line All-Star to a lower tier starter. It's nothing to sneeze at.

Also - no one is questioning Donovan's toughness, or desire to play. I posted myself in the game thread about how wonderful it was seeing him so determined to get back in the game after Quin pulled him. It's great.

But it's silly to think the front office and coaching staff aren't considering things from a slightly more emotionally removed strategic vantage point.
You are one of the few reasonable people to post here.

The other team might fumble the punt on the return, they might commit a penalty like running into the kicker, etc. The point is that a series, like a football game, is a long game that isnt completely dependent on a single possession in the first half of the game. Giving up would be taking a knee.

Like, is Donovan's injury a 4th and 15 on our side of the field? Is it a 4th and 1 on the opponents 45 yard line? IDK, but that is why I asked the hypothetical question.

People are freaking out about it because either they are idiots, they dislike me so they will take any opportunity they can to attempt to clown me, or both.

And again, we saw this literal decision and thought process in real time in game 1 TWICE.

Should MJ have sat out of Game 5? He had the flu/food poisoning. He could have gotten dehydrated and died! That would have really put them back for game 6.